5 New G34's released today...

Saw the hothardware post about that earlier... 12 cores?!? Those chips look massive.

Well, what would you expect size wise from a 12 core processor that has 1944 pins? I'm actually hoping more and more cpus will utilize a pinless design like these AMD G34 processors as they utilize contacts. LGA1366 on the Intel side of things is bad enough already.

As you guys already know, these Magny Cours are basically two Istanbuls that are linked together yielding quad channel memory. I am especially curious how that new 2.5ghz 12 core processor folds, although I would assume it isn't a cheap processor.

Well, what would you expect size wise from a 12 core processor that has 1944 pins? I'm actually hoping more and more cpus will utilize a pinless design like these AMD G34 processors as they utilize contacts. LGA1366 on the Intel side of things is bad enough already.

As you guys already know, these Magny Cours are basically two Istanbuls that are linked together yielding quad channel memory. I am especially curious how that new 2.5ghz 12 core processor folds, although I would assume it isn't a cheap processor.

I think the 6180SE is around $1500... :(
2 x 6180SE + Tyan/Supermicro Dual G34 board = $3600 dollars :eek:

I think the 6180SE is around $1500... :(
2 x 6180SE + Tyan/Supermicro Dual G34 board = $3600 dollars :eek:

Yeah, it is so sad how expensive processors on the server side of things are. This is why i'm very curious why AMD is going to release Bulldozer for the desktop side of things first with the server Bulldozers coming the quarter after. I would have figured that AMD could make more money by releasing for the server side first, especially since the G34 infrastructure is more or less in place already from the Magny Cours.

It is amazing on the desktop side of things how Intel sells you a Gulftown for $999, and sells the same processor on the server side with the ability to communicate in multiprocessor systems for $1600. Then they sell a version that can communicate in upto a 4 processor system for even more than that.........

Yeah, it is so sad how expensive processors on the server side of things are. This is why i'm very curious why AMD is going to release Bulldozer for the desktop side of things first with the server Bulldozers coming the quarter after. I would have figured that AMD could make more money by releasing for the server side first, especially since the G34 infrastructure is more or less in place already from the Magny Cours.

It is amazing on the desktop side of things how Intel sells you a Gulftown for $999, and sells the same processor on the server side with the ability to communicate in multiprocessor systems for $1600. Then they sell a version that can communicate in upto a 4 processor system for even more than that.........

The 4P version is a different die compared to 1-2P. It has more cache, more QPI links, Quad Channel IMC and a lot of transistors dedicated to RAS and scallability. It's normal to have a higher price.

the other part of the price factor is that these processors are that server companies dont upgrade as often as consumers. so on average a system will usually run 5-6 years at the least before its ever upgrade which means 1. less repeatable income for intel and AMD. 2. these processors are designed and manufactured to make sure they last those 5-6 years the processor will be used. because the last thing you want to do is to develop and sell a processor to a server company that only lasts 2 years. that server company will jump ship to Intel or vice versa.

theres 2 sides to it, yes they could make more money, but as i said above your quote. with G34 socket most server companies have already gone with mangy cours so they aren't going to be looking to upgrade within the next 2-3 years. magny cour has only been out for a little under a year. also being that its a completely new architecture server companies are going to be a little more hesitant to buy something so AMD can use the consumer market to prove what the bulldozer is capable of and that alone could create more profit then releasing the Opteron variant first. in the end its all about marketing. so we'll see how it goes.

but damn i want to see what 2 or 4 of those 6180SE's @ 2.5Ghz would do in F@H..

The 4P version is a different die compared to 1-2P. It has more cache, more QPI links, Quad Channel IMC and a lot of transistors dedicated to RAS and scallability. It's normal to have a higher price.

True, but AMD does not charge extra for the ability to do a 4 processor setup as far as i'm aware. We have one member of our folding team who is currently running a 48 core Magny setup, which is currently the fastest rig on the team by a hair.

the other part of the price factor is that these processors are that server companies dont upgrade as often as consumers. so on average a system will usually run 5-6 years at the least before its ever upgrade which means 1. less repeatable income for intel and AMD. 2. these processors are designed and manufactured to make sure they last those 5-6 years the processor will be used. because the last thing you want to do is to develop and sell a processor to a server company that only lasts 2 years. that server company will jump ship to Intel or vice versa.

theres 2 sides to it, yes they could make more money, but as i said above your quote. with G34 socket most server companies have already gone with mangy cours so they aren't going to be looking to upgrade within the next 2-3 years. magny cour has only been out for a little under a year. also being that its a completely new architecture server companies are going to be a little more hesitant to buy something so AMD can use the consumer market to prove what the bulldozer is capable of and that alone could create more profit then releasing the Opteron variant first. in the end its all about marketing. so we'll see how it goes.

but damn i want to see what 2 or 4 of those 6180SE's @ 2.5Ghz would do in F@H..

We'll see, but it doesn't even appear like the desktop side of things are going to be getting anything too exciting. Sure we'll get an 8 core Bulldozer, but it will still only utilize dual channel memory while Intel is prepping an 8 core quad channel LGA2044 chip tentatively by the end of this year. From what i'm getting at based on the acattered bits of information, we'll never see quad channel bulldozers on the desktop.

True, but AMD does not charge extra for the ability to do a 4 processor setup as far as i'm aware. We have one member of our folding team who is currently running a 48 core Magny setup, which is currently the fastest rig on the team by a hair.

We'll see, but it doesn't even appear like the desktop side of things are going to be getting anything too exciting. Sure we'll get an 8 core Bulldozer, but it will still only utilize dual channel memory while Intel is prepping an 8 core quad channel LGA2044 chip tentatively by the end of this year. From what i'm getting at based on the scattered bits of information, we'll never see quad channel bulldozers on the desktop.

but thats a cost factor thing to. how many people are going to be willing to spend 150 bucks just on ram for full bandwidth, along with a 600-700 dollar processor from intel? it may hurt AMD in the high end market but i think it will help them in the mid range market where total platform cost is far more important then performance.

but yeah i agree i would of loved to see quad channel on the consumer bulldozers but that would also remove the backwards compatibility that the AM3+ socket will have. so theres good's and bad's in the decision.

and you are right AMD doesn't charge a premium for 4p processors because all g34 socket Opterons are capable of 4p support. same with all the other sockets that had 4p and 8p support.

Back