5 in 3 drive cage?

quakefiend420

Limp Gawd
A while ago I found a cage with no backplane or hot-swap capabilities that would fit 5 3.5" drives into 3 5.25" slots...I guess I didn't save the link, and now I can't find it...it was only about 20 bucks or so, basically just a plain metal cage with a fan...anyone know what I'm talking about or know where I can find one?

Thanks in advance!

You mean this?:
$29 - 3-to-5 Mounting bracket

that's basically it...the one i was looking at had a fan, IIRC

I found this as well

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817993002&cm_re=cage-_-17-993-002-_-Product

only 4 drives though...

anyone using something like this? I'm going to be running 7200rpm 1TB hitachi SATA drives in it...do you think cooling will be a problem if i slap a 120mm fan on the front of it?

would it be better for my drives' health to go with 4 so i get a bit more breathing room?

Either A) you were looking an actual 5in3 hot-swap bay or B) one of Ockie's old Galaxy builds. Last I heard, the cheap 5in3 bays with a fan that Ockie used was around $50.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817993002&cm_re=cage-_-17-993-002-_-Product

only 4 drives though...

anyone using something like this? I'm going to be running 7200rpm 1TB hitachi SATA drives in it...do you think cooling will be a problem if i slap a 120mm fan on the front of it?
I'm using that exact same 4in3 in my WHS server. It already comes with a 120mm fan in front. Just remove the dust filter and cooling will not be an issue.
would it be better for my drives' health to go with 4 so i get a bit more breathing room?
Just a tad better.

Either A) you were looking an actual 5in3 hot-swap bay or B) one of Ockie's old Galaxy builds. Last I heard, the cheap 5in3 bays with a fan that Ockie used was around $50.

I'm using that exact same 4in3 in my WHS server. It already comes with a 120mm fan in front. Just remove the dust filter and cooling will not be an issue.

Just a tad better.

Maybe I'll just go with the Coolermaster then...don't really want to spend 50 bucks per enclosure (I need two).

Thanks!

I found this as well

only 4 drives though...

I don't mean this as a threadcrap, but if you're asking if you should by the COOLER MASTER STB-3T4-E3-GP 4-in-3 Device Module Hardisk Cage, well, I just want to let you know I'll never buy one again.

I bought two, and while it's bad enough that it only fits four in the space of three when you can get others that fit five-in-three...

The real problem is that the included fan may indeed be silent, but it hardly moves any air. It made little difference.

Unlike getting a real 3x5 bracket and using a real 120mm fan in front of it... Get the right fan (basically any 120mm fan I've ever owned) and it's also silent, and keeps your drives cooler.

Sorry, but I hate the two I own, and don't use 'em.

I've also never tried to re-sell 'em. That should tell you that I think they're junk that I wouldn't wish on anyone else!

(Yeah, you probably can replace the fan with a real fan, but by the time you've done that, why not use a 3x5 bracket, and fit an extra HD in that space?)

Back