5,25" switch mod

luddha

Weaksauce
I've put my Netgear GS605 v2 gigabit switch in one of my 5,25" spots. Nice to have on LAN parties I hope. Haven't tried it on a LAN yet, but hopefully it will be easier to carry. I'm thinking of putting a 80mm behind it so it will be a better airflow over the switch and into the case.

I took an old 5,25" plastic bezel and dremel:d it so it could fit on the board thing that came with the Antec 1200.

Sry for bad pics. They are taken with my SE P1i.

ANpgMuNLt.jpg

gBpMrOiNm.jpg

yEgEEgPTr.jpg

xnQEnwXtU.jpg

OuXcqaVJE.jpg

uTgwFQtQh.jpg

Thanks for me. Sorry for bad English, I'm from Sweden.

nice work!

1) You do very good at making the design have a good external appearance.

2) That's a switch. Ethernet cables are ugly.

3) Maybe you could mount the switch in the back of the case, so you can hide the ethernet cables?

Well, I know that I could do it more esthetic, but for now it does everything I want it to do. Why I've put it in the front is because I didn't want to risk breaking anything that I don't can't replace easily.

Thanks for comment

Looks good. Next you just need to get carried away like I did and do this to it:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=801460

Mine came in handy at lan parties. It was the dedicated connection box since it had all those ports + wireless. Ran Smoothwall on it for a while and later switched to Endian. Ah the good ole' days ;)

That's pretty cool! But I do agree that having it mounted at the back would have been killer.

Sorry for bad English, I'm from Sweden.

Beeing from Sweden is no excuse for bad english, you've been tought english since third grade...

Other than that, cool mod but I'd have to agree with daedal and suggest a rear mounting.

ive never been to a lan party, but wouldnt the ports be easyer for enery one to hook up to front the front?

Yes, yes they would. Leave your aesthetics at home!

This would be a great addition to perhaps say a file server, since a couple of the guys in my local LAN " www.LanManiac.com " group bring file sharing boxes along, this would be an easy way to extend the network without bringing extra switches. People in their row would just plug into the server's in-box switch.

You could also just slap this into a SFF LAN box, as for aesthetics, unless you are dressing up your computer like a pretty girl for the prom, they don't matter at a LAN. I think it would be badass to put one of these in my microfly, and maybe with a Wifi AP mod could act as a network extender in cojunction with a wireless router. hmmm dam these forums, always costing me money :rolleyes:

Hehe, thanks guys. Feedback is always welcome!

PekkerCadette: Sccchhhhhh =)

Back