5.1 sound problems with Asus Strix Soar 7.1 Gaming Soundcard.

pencea

Weaksauce
Took the plunge and bought the Asus Strix Soar 7.1 Gaming Soundcard.

After installing the card, I immediately went onto the Asus website and downloaded the latest drivers from the site.

I configured my setup as 5.1 both in Windows 10 & the software. To my dismay, stereo sources doesn't get upmix to 5.1 at all, the sound only plays in two speakers out of the 5...

I have to manually turn on the upmix in the software which actually makes the sound a lot worse. Both my previous X-fi extreme music and onboard sound did a much better upmixing job than this. Did anyone else here experienced this problem?

For reference my speakers is the Logitech Z-5500.

Supposedly upmixing if done correctly doesn't destroy audio quality. The problem is that most of the time the upmixing adds too much information to the center channel and surrounds. Thus it gets a bad rap from overzealous audio devices.

There is an audio guy named Andy Wehmeyer that worked for JBL and then started his own car audio company called Audiofrog. He is supposed to own one of the nicest demo vehicles as far as sound staging and SQ goes in the country. Wish I could go to CA and listen to it as he regularly demos it at trade shows there.

He suggests using a VST plugin for DTS or one by Penteo. He goes into detail on what you need to do and makes a convincing argument for multichannel.

You can read his thoughts on it here in this public Facebook post. Start from the beginning by clicking "Show previous comments" at the beginning of the comment section and he explains the pitfalls and how to do it properly. Like I said he is supposed to have one of the best SQ cars in the country. Lots of competitors use his product for their vehicles. I might save up to get some of his GB speakers. He is coming out with a multichannel time delay processor for the car. His car uses an experimental one based on a JBL MS-8 that Andy was a part of the development team at JBL.

DSP and upmixing has always been a decent strength of Creative's, relative to other PC sound cards anyways. If you liked what they offered there, you could return the Asus for a newer Creative option. Though, I'd say play around with any other options in the software and see what can be done. And try disabling other processing effects that may be on...or enabling them - in for a penny, in for a pound at this point.

not to open a new topic now
I have a problem with the Asus strix soar, I recently connected the headphones to the headphone output and they don't work, I can't switch in the software...
It used to work without problems in windows 10.
I have the speakers connected to the front panel (2.0 system) and I connected the headphones to the headphone, but I can't transfer them in the software, it doesn't recognize them and it doesn't work ...
I also sent an inquiry to asus ...
They only have drivers on the site for windows 10 and not for 11, but regardless of that, it should work ...
I simply switched the sound source in the software with the left mouse button and everything worked, now all of a sudden it doesn't work.

Regarding the described problem,we would kindly like to inform you that unfortunately the sound card is not officially supported by windows 11 (the problem is probably due to the drivers).
Hallo Asus?????
I didn't know that Asus was run by Mirko and Slavko ... what a problem it is to make new drivers?????
On win 10 it worked and win 11 is practically the same and now my headphones don't work anymore, I really don't understand ....

This is why I dropped using these soundcards, TBH. The drivers are just trash. Just rocking an external USB DAC now.

I do have this card still in a pile some where, but haven't bothered to test it on Windows 11.

This is why I dropped using these soundcards, TBH. The drivers are just trash. Just rocking an external USB DAC now.

I do have this card still in a pile some where, but haven't bothered to test it on Windows 11.
You know what else is interesting, i have an old creative x-fi xtreme gamer that works great on win 10.
These in asus are stupid or lazy,when I already have to insult, I'm sorry...

I got a notification if anyone is interested,new drivers for windows 11 should start coming in May...

"
Regarding the described problem,at present, the ASUS sound card models are still available forsale, we expect to release new windows 11 drivers one by one from May 2022 to fix this issue. It is recommended that users do not update to Windows 11 firstly, or use speaker for audio output firstly."

Below you will find the relative FAQ.
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1046829

Here are some news, the only thing is that I don't have windows 11 22h2, but I have windows 11 home 21h2 x64, wtf
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1046829

I also found a page where people also complain directly...
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?125904-Strix-SOAR-Windows-11/page4

Do you already have 22H2 or? I do not have...:dummy:
They removed the page where they said that windows 11 drivers come from the 8th month.
Apparently there are not many of us they have a specified sound card, but I did not expect that there would be such complications from Asus as a large company.
I will try to insert it again and see if it works now.I also put the sound card up for sale, but no one wants it.

I put in strix soar to try if it works, it's a disaster, my sound is conflicting with something, I don't know what, and the computer just freezes, if it enters windows, the cursor just suddenly freezes.
I blocked in msc mouse app but nothing, it's some nasty problem with that sound, I don't know what they did in asus and microsoft, supposedly microsoft solved it with 22H2 but I don't have it, only 21H2

Considering that I have sold the asus strix soar, new active studio 2.0 speakers are coming soon.
I've never had studio speakers so I wanted to try what it sounds like. Now I'm currently on logitech Z240, I've always had either genius or logitech speakers (2.1, 5.1, 2.0), but they were all, let's say, computer speakers and not for studio use.

And now that I'm on integrated sound from the motherboard, how do you keep the settings in the control panel from the speakers?
Should I put a check mark on Allow applications to take exclusive control on this device, until now I always had it turned off?
This integrated speaker also has the option of additional signal processing, which can also be turned off and on with a tick.

This is the motherboard, so Realtek ALC892/897 Audio Codec
https://www.asrock.com/mb/amd/b450m steel legend/

I think windows automatically set to 16bit 48000Hz (DVD Quality), how do you regulate it?
More should be better, but does more affect sound latencies or something else? It goes up to 24bit and 192000Hz (Studio Quality),I mostly kept it on that setting.

I'm interested in your experiences and how to set it up? I'm no audio expert,I believe that a little better connoisseurs of sound know everything.

The speakers arrived(alesis elevate 3 mk2), for now I am satisfied, they have a "break-in" of about 2-3 hours of playing, they are more detailed than the logitech z240, it is noticeable immediately, it is not a drastic difference, but I believe it will be better than these logitech.
I have no hearing, but you can feel it, like computer speakers, they are loud enough for me. IMG_20221022_123358850_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
I was afraid that this 3.5mm cable going to my computer would be too short, considering that my computer is on the left side of the table, but it is still just the right length.
But this blue light kills when the speakers are working, I will have to stick black insulating tape, like on the keyboard.

Back