5.1 output in games with X-plosion, Win7 64

Likwid_Nitrogen

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm running an Auzentech X-plosion under Windows 7 64-bit running DTS-connect through optical to my AVR.

Call of Duty 4 - 5.1 channels
Dead Space - 5.1
Doom 3 - 2 channels*
Need for Speed Shift - 5.1
DiRT - 2 channels only

*Under Windows XP, Doom worked in 5.1, but only after changing the "number of speakers" to 5.1 in Windows sound setup. This appears to no longer exist in Windows 7. I've attempted forcing "number_of_speakers ='6'" and "use_openal" in the .cfg, with no result.

I'm running current drivers from Auzentech's website, and have tried one or two other C-media and experimental drivers that I've seen advertised as working with the X-plosion, but can't get them working at all.

I know the older games that are only working in 2 channels currently use OpenAL for their positional audio, but it was my understanding that OpenAL works on the X-plosion.

Any ideas how to get 5.1 running in all these games?

In Windows 7, right-click on the Windows volume/speaker icon in the system tray (near the time at the bottom-right), then click "Playback devices". You should have a selection that says "Speakers", make sure that's selected (just single-click it) and then click the Configure button at the bottom-left of that window; this will let you select the number of speakers your are using and allow you to test them.

If that doesn't work then that sound card should have a control panel that lets you select 5.1 sound; the only in-game configuration you should need to do with the speakers is in the game's options. With the speaker configuration set properly in Windows or the sound card's control panel you should then be able to tell the game that your have 5.1 speakers and DTSC should be able to encode it properly.

I've never once had a problem.

A Quick checklist:

Playback devices -> X-Plosion - > Configure -- is this set to 5.1 with all speakers enabled?
Control Panel - > C-Media PCI Audio -> Main Setting -- Is System Input set to 6CH, with S/PDIF Output properly set to DTS?
If this all functions properly, but older games do not produce surround sound, you should flick on Xear 3D EX: that is C-Media's "ALchemy", so to speak.

Some games, like Far Cry 2, which don't need EX mode will exhibit some funny sound behavior if it remains on during play.

update:

So I've learned a few things.

What is not working on my X-plosion currently is OpenAL. The games above that are playing back in 5.1 features 5.1 surround in software, and the others only have 2 channel audio in software, and surround through OpenAL.

The question of whether or not the X-plosion supports OpenAL seems to be unanswered, so I've put in a support ticket at Auzentech. Hopefully I'll get some sort of final reply.

also, apparently in the games already running 5.1 in software, there may be a slight performance boost and a noticeable sound quality difference when running in hardware OpenAL.

Back