5.1 audio, speakers only?

Riddleofsteel

[H]ard|Gawd
I have some music albums in 5.1 that I'd like to hear in their native format, but I only have stereo headphones. I could crush the albums down to stereo in foobar, but wouldn't that just be the same as any stereo rendition of the same album?

I have read lots of debates on whether or not 5.1 "surround" headphones are worth it for gaming and the like, and I read all the replies, which is why I ended up with a few pairs of stereo cans. But is it really the case that there isn't a pair of headphones out there that can do (true) 5.1? Someone was telling me about a headset called the Roccat Kave and I looked it up, sure looks impressive, but can it do real 5.1 AND is it as good as a pair of say, Beyer 770's, or is it just marketing prestidigitation? Thanks.

Do NOT get 5.1 headphones for music. They are all pretty poor.

Just have your player output stereo or get some 5.1 speakers.

That's what I kinda figured. I don't really have room for 5.1 speakers, which is why I was trying to find some headphones. Wasn't really vital, just wanted to experience 5.1. Currently seeking out some Beyer 770 80ohms, but I wasn't sure if they were good for music and if they need an amp.

I have the dt770/80s and absolutely love them (except when you need to be subtle with the listening...they do stand out :)) They are an incredible pair of headphones and will run well off of even an ipod. While I find there is a small loss of the deep bass they are known for when using a soundcard/ipod/etc, it does nothing to affect the quality of the sound.

While you can find 5.1 headphones, they have to make concessions in terms of quality and size of drivers. I had a pair of the Razer Barracuda 5.1 headphones and enjoyed them for daily use and gaming for over a year until I bought the dt770s. Since then...let's just say the Razers are starting to collect dust.

DT770s, and if you MUST have digital 5.1, just use CMSS-3D. You'll have a dead solid platform, and you can turn the 5.1 part off and on as desired.

Although at that, there are better things to drive it with.

Back