5.1/7.1 without totally breaking the bank

cokewithvanilla

Weaksauce
Hello, I am looking for some recommendations for good computer audio. I haven't had a computer in years, though I've built hundreds and know my way around video/audio. I used to be a gamer/audiophile. I am really needing input on new stuff that ive missed out on. I'm looking for some active near field monitors at a good price. I figure active will be fine for gaming... I'm not looking for recommendations of monoblocks and expensive preamps, etc. hoping to avoid metallic tweeters as well and certainly not a HTIB sort of guy. looking to run all connections directly to the computer sound card with no additional components. if this is unrealistic, let me know.

Budget: as cheap as possible for good sound, thinK "best bang for the buck". 4-500?

Title should have been different "budget" hah. I own amplifiers that cost 8x my budget on this one. Oops

For your budget and monitor-grade sound, I would stick with something like the JVC LSR305s in stereo. You can use pretty much any amp to drive them, as they have their own (very effective class D) amps built in.

You do have the option of going with a Denon E300 or similar 5.1 receiver, but that's going to eat at least 200 of your budget. That only leaves you to room buy 4 Micca MB42s or Swan M10s which are far smaller overall.

I vote for the JBL LSR305's if he stays stereo. To go 5.1 would be outside his budget.

I haven't used it so I can't say how they sound but people seem to love the Andrew Jones Pioneer's and low and behold this deal is in the Hot Deals section here:

Andrew Jones 5.1 Bookshelf $229 (floorstander version for $289)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...TF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=hardfocom-20

Denon AVR-E300 refurb $149
http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...300-5.1-3d-networking-receiver-airplay/1.html

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
^ Solid choices. I like that the receiver there has Audyssey MultEQ, too.

7.1 headphones you get for 4-500 bucks. If you try speakers you can get total suckage for 500 bucks the second you go past stereo sound. 5.1 for 500 bucks is not possible to do anywhere remotely well. Your best option is probably to get (for example) the JBLs for stereo, then save up money to get a rear channel which already gives you surround. Then as you save up money you collect more same model JBLs (or even buy them from Ebay cheaper) untill you have 5.1 or 7.1.

500 bucks is no-go.

For your budget and monitor-grade sound, I would stick with something like the JVC LSR305s in stereo. You can use pretty much any amp to drive them, as they have their own (very effective class D) amps built in.

You do have the option of going with a Denon E300 or similar 5.1 receiver, but that's going to eat at least 200 of your budget. That only leaves you to room buy 4 Micca MB42s or Swan M10s which are far smaller overall.

Just to clarify something I noticed: about any amp can _not_ drive the JBLs because many cheaper amps lack line level outputs. He needs a computer / phone or a preamplifier output capable amp for the speakers.

Back