5.1/7.1 to HDMI audio inserter?

cyclone3d

[H]F Junkie
So I am looking for a way to take 5.1/7.1 analog audio from a sound card and insert it into HDMI.

A decoder is available from Atlona, but for the life of me I cannot find an encoder/inserter box.

So I am looking for a way to take 5.1/7.1 analog audio from a sound card and insert it into HDMI.

A decoder is available from Atlona, but for the life of me I cannot find an encoder/inserter box.

Only way I know to do it requires multiple converters. You can get analog to SDI embedders and then convert SDI to HDMI. Thing is, it is pro gear so the price is stupid.

Good luck, that sounds too niche to be available at a reasonable price. Do you have an AV receiver that doesn't have analog inputs?

Good luck, that sounds too niche to be available at a reasonable price. Do you have an AV receiver that doesn't have analog inputs?

No.. just wanting to hook up a switch for multiple audio sources to go along with a KVM... some of those computers will have at least 5.1 analog output. I can always stack multiple A/V switchers to get the same effect, but I was kinda hoping to just have a single switch and an encoder/decoder setup would allow that.

Your life will be a lot simpler with an AV amp that has enough HDMI inputs.
Quickly switch audio and video source with a remote. Keep your current switching method for K/M.
The difficult part may be finding AV amps with low audio and video lag, depending on your need.

You're going to need a pro-am device to do this and it's not necessary.

What is it you're trying to do that you can't do by:

1. Using an HDMI to AVR connection
Pro: Best sound quality and you make good use the of the DSP in the AVR
Con: Requires a video connection - either an extra monitor or a "ghost monitor". Also semi requires EDID emulation to not be a total PITA

2. Using a receiver with discrete analog inputs
Pro: Easy and just works
Con: Hard to find receivers with this feature for under $500, also you're using analog/direct mode and lose most of the functionality of your AVR (bass management, ability to create a ghost center channel, room eq, etc)

I've tried just about everything and finally just added a 4th monitor to go above my NV surround displays and I'm much happier.

Problem with using HDMI in is I want a setup for older machines that have sound cards such as the Audigy 2 ZS. If I were to just use a receiver with HDMI in, that would still require an encoder.

And will the HDMI input even work without video in the signal?

The whole point was to try to eliminate having to have multiple switch boxes to take card of more than just stereo sound.

Why even bother with the older sound card? If you are having a receiver do all the decoding, going digital to analogue twice means you'll actually get worse sound quality than if you were to go just digital (ie HDMI) straight to your receiver in the first place.

If you're going for a retro setup (ie pre-Windows XP), 2 channel LPCM via SPDIF is going to be so much simpler. There wasn't a whole lot back then that supported surround sound anyway.

Problem with using HDMI in is I want a setup for older machines that have sound cards such as the Audigy 2 ZS. If I were to just use a receiver with HDMI in, that would still require an encoder.

Ditch the old standalone sound cards and just use the HDMI audio included in every semi-modern video card? I mean even a $30 GT610 or such can do that. Pipe those to an AVR like others have mentioned... or maybe a $20 HDMI switch and output audio from your monitor (that... might not do 5.1 I guess it depends on the monitor).

Trying to do a multiple input/output 5.1 analog setup is going to be a huge chore.

Ditch the old standalone sound cards and just use the HDMI audio included in every semi-modern video card? I mean even a $30 GT610 or such can do that. Pipe those to an AVR like others have mentioned... or maybe a $20 HDMI switch and output audio from your monitor (that... might not do 5.1 I guess it depends on the monitor).

Trying to do a multiple input/output 5.1 analog setup is going to be a huge chore.

This setup would be specifically for running older games on older systems that support EAX, etc. Show me a video car that can do that.

I'm talking Windows 98SE and XP era systems.

It really isn't that huge of a chore to set up a couple A/V switchboxes in order to handle 5.1. Just a bunch of wires.. and one extra button I have to press in order to do 5.1 instead of Stereo.

This setup would be specifically for running older games on older systems that support EAX, etc. Show me a video car that can do that.

I'm talking Windows 98SE and XP era systems.

It really isn't that huge of a chore to set up a couple A/V switchboxes in order to handle 5.1. Just a bunch of wires.. and one extra button I have to press in order to do 5.1 instead of Stereo.

Ok I see where you're coming from. And you're right... it's going to be a BUNCH of wires.

I couldn't find a 5.1 analog audio switch in the 90 seconds I spent looking. BUT (this is an old trick I used to do in my retail days) nothing says you couldn't use TWO switches like these since you need 6 inputs:

https://www.amazon.com/Mechanical-Splitter-Composite-Switcher-Selector/dp/B075XKZ1Q4

L/R/V x 2 could become L/R/C + LS/RS/sub, they're just physical switches they don't care what type of signal it passes.

upload_2018-4-19_13-5-20.png

And a shitload of these : https://www.amazon.com/C2G-Cables-Go-40423-Y-Cable/dp/B0018KUS9E or these (depending on your output type on the sound card) https://www.amazon.com/CableWholesale-6-Feet-3-5mm-Cable-10A1-07106

upload_2018-4-19_13-8-53.png

upload_2018-4-19_13-9-52.png

That would be a PITA depending on how many sources, but you could make it work.

Attachments

• upload_2018-4-19_13-9-53.png
    upload_2018-4-19_13-9-53.png
    37.4 KB · Views: 0
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
If you really want to do that old school EAX type surround sound, then try one of the following:

1. Get a logitech or creative type 5.1 sound system for a PC - these are not "HIFI" (not even really midfi) but will work great for old school gaming.

2. Build your own system using a couple $50 D class amps and the speakers of your choice.

I bought one of these as a backup when I had to exchange my receiver:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016ZNTS4O/

It comes with a power supply (you can find it for less on Amazon, but usually without a PS)

I think a pair would make a perfectly competent 4 channel PC system.

Maybe grab a couple pairs of those cheap 2 way 6" speakers and call it a day:

https://www.amazon.com/Acoustic-Audio-AA351B-Outdoor-Speakers/dp/B00KSLX4AO/

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Burticus - Since I can't seem to find exactly what I want, I have actually been looking at using a couple 8-way AV switches.

DoubleTap - My current speaker setup for my main rig is a Logitech 5.1 speaker setup. I also have an older Creative 5.1 setup that I could use. The Logitech ones are better.

I'll get better speakers for my main rig at some point in the future. Not a big deal though as I almost always use headphones.

Back