4x2gb Dual Channel vs 6gb Mixed

xdivenx

[H]ard|Gawd
At the moment, I have 2 sticks of 1gb Corsair DDR2 800 memory. In a week, I will have bought 2x4 G. Skill DDR2 1066. I am wondering whether running the new memory AND the old 2 sticks together (6 gigs) would be better than running the new 2 sticks ALONE in dual channel? I do multitask part of the time, however would the speed benefeit of 4gb dual channel DDR2 1066 (assuming I could run it at the frequency) outweigh having 6 gigs not in dual channel and running slower?

At the moment, I have 2 sticks of 1gb Corsair DDR2 800 memory. In a week, I will have bought 2x4 G. Skill DDR2 1066. I am wondering whether running the new memory AND the old 2 sticks together (6 gigs) would be better than running the new 2 sticks ALONE in dual channel? I do multitask part of the time, however would the speed benefeit of 4gb dual channel DDR2 1066 (assuming I could run it at the frequency) outweigh having 6 gigs not in dual channel and running slower?

so why would you not run the 6 gigs in dual channel?

I wasn't aware that was possible. Thanks. (Leave it to me to overlook the obvious solution =D)

Yeah you can do dual channel with 2x2 GB + 2x1 GB.

Buddy of mine does that, & OCs it well too.

I'm kinda in the same situation I have 2X1GB ddr2 800 4-4-4-12 and 2X2GB ddr2 1066 5-5-5-15, if I want to run all 6 gb in dual channel would I have to set my overall timings to 5-5-5-15 and overall speed to ddr2 800? Also if I dropped to freq on the faster ram down to ddr2 800 could I then squeeze the timings lower?

What OS are you using?

Just for the record, when I tried to run my 2x2gb AData + my 2x1gb Corsair (Same timings and voltages DDR2-800) they did not work. It only saw what was in the "first" channel.

E.G. x | x | where "x" is the memory.

I might try it again, but so far, no luck.

Just for the record, when I tried to run my 2x2gb AData + my 2x1gb Corsair (Same timings and voltages DDR2-800) they did not work. It only saw what was in the "first" channel.

E.G. x | x | where "x" is the memory.

I might try it again, but so far, no luck.
What MOBO?

Back