4x1GB G.Skill F2-6400CL4D-2GBHK on EVGA 650i Ultra (successful!)

Astral Abyss

2[H]4U
In light of all the issues people are reporting with running 4 sticks of RAM, I just wanted to post that I'm having 0 problems with my EVGA 650i Ultra and 4 sticks of G.Skill F2-6400CL4D-2GBHK (800MHz).

(See my sig for full system specs)

I'm currently running my 4300 @ 350MHz x 9 = 3.15GHz, unlinked, with the RAM @ 800MHz. CAS is 4-4-3-10-2T. 2.0 volts. Stable in my favorite memory testing program... World of Warcraft :p (I ran Orthos also, but World of Warcraft is more picky about RAM than any other program I've used)

I didn't even need to increase any voltages for north or southbridge. They're both still at stock 1.2v.

One important thing I did was add airflow to the RAM. Before I added the 2nd pair of 1GB modules, I did the "finger test" and found out my RAM was getting very hot while testing and gaming. I purchsed the Corsair Dominator fan unit to place over all 4 sticks of RAM. If the RAM was getting hot with 2 sticks... 4 would be worse. By the way, the fan unit was simple to install and looks pretty cool mounted. It's a tiny, tiny bit noisy at 100%, but if you bump it down just a tad it's silent. Works great too, which is the most important part. RAM is now only warm to the touch. I'm absolutely positive that without this fan cooling the RAM, I would be having stability issues. (I wonder how many people have no idea their RAM is cooking itself because they think they have good airflow (like I did) ).

So basically I just wanted to point out in this post that 4x1GB is doable and stable on the 650i Ultra if you use decent RAM and keep it cool. I think CAS 4-4-3-10 is pretty impressive with 4x1GB @ 800MHz, 2.0v and no other related voltage increases necessary... even more impressive after hearing people rip on the Nvidia memory controller.

I'm going to attempt to OC a bit this weekend and see what happens... more to come.

is that a 32 bit or 64 bit os? And can you see all of the 4 gb in the bios?

kool, well atleast it works for someone, let us know how the overclock goes.

I'm still running XP Pro (32 bit). I only see 2.75GB out of the 4GB. I expected that. Mainly I went ahead and bought the RAM because it's dirt cheap right now and I'm planning on upgrading to Vista 64 as soon as I feel it'll be a benefit to me.

Currently at 875MHz on the RAM. CAS 4-4-3-10-2T. 2.0v. CPU FSB at 1.3v. Played World of Warcraft for an hour and no crashes. Will try for higher MHz tomorrow.

I'm still running XP Pro (32 bit). I only see 2.75GB out of the 4GB. I expected that. Mainly I went ahead and bought the RAM because it's dirt cheap right now and I'm planning on upgrading to Vista 64 as soon as I feel it'll be a benefit to me.

Currently at 875MHz on the RAM. CAS 4-4-3-10-2T. 2.0v. CPU FSB at 1.3v. Played World of Warcraft for an hour and no crashes. Will try for higher MHz tomorrow.

Cool. You shud try some of the programs that check stability if you already haven't. E.g Orthos, Prime95, Memtest86.
I have VISTA 32-bit and XP-pro 32 bit and they both show 2.93 GB. Hopefully i'll get a 64 bit OS sometime later.

I would highly suggest Memtest 86 for the RAM especially in your case.
Hope you can squeeze more outta the RAM.

Cool. You shud try some of the programs that check stability if you already haven't. E.g Orthos, Prime95, Memtest86.
I have VISTA 32-bit and XP-pro 32 bit and they both show 2.93 GB. Hopefully i'll get a 64 bit OS sometime later.

I would highly suggest Memtest 86 for the RAM especially in your case.
Hope you can squeeze more outta the RAM.

I use all the programs you mentioned and they work well. I like to do my real stability testing in my games. Nothing like working the video card, sound card, memory, CPU, and hard drive to death while creating a nice toasty environment in order to test stability :)

I did my pre-testing with Memtest to see if I was stable or not.

Back