4x16gb or 8x8gb for Threadripper

Zinn

2[H]4U
I'm thinking of upgrading my Threadripper 2950X machine to 64gb as I'm constantly getting near full usage with 32gb.

Does 8 versus 4 dimms matter anymore? I would like to run at least 3333mhz C16 since that's what I have now.

Any kit recommendations would also be appreciated! I don't mind LEDs as long as I can turn them off.

on that board at least based on the QVL looks like 4x16GB using micron revision E is the way to go.. 8x8 even with the micron E looks like it's limited to 2933. the ones i'd recommend are the ballistix sport LT 16GB(just make sure there's AES in the model to make sure they're micron E), no LED's. they don't have the greatest sub timings compared to samsung B die but you may be able to get 3333 with them on the 2950.

Buy Best. Buy B-die.

3200C14 Dual Rank (16GB) B-die is your best bet for highest performance 64GB on TR. It also happens to be a really good binning on the DR modules, with several bling and non-bling kits out there to choose from. You might even boot and run with the default timings, but you really should spend a bit of time to tune them.

Lower latency beats slightly faster clocks, and dual rank beats single when all else is equal.

Not sure why people keep pushing QVLs that do fuckall testing of loaded configs. Or keep recommending other ram ICs for anything but being cheaper, because none of them are better.

If you are feeling adventurous, you could try 8x8GB 3600C15 and tune the hell out of them, but honestly Zen1 IMC is the limiting factor and you will not hit up to the XMP timings. The next TR will probably really like that kit though (only comes with red plastic on top) because Ryzen 3k sure does.

Buy Best. Buy B-die.

3200C14 Dual Rank (16GB) B-die is your best bet for highest performance 64GB on TR. It also happens to be a really good binning on the DR modules, with several bling and non-bling kits out there to choose from. You might even boot and run with the default timings, but you really should spend a bit of time to tune them.

Lower latency beats slightly faster clocks, and dual rank beats single when all else is equal.

Not sure why people keep pushing QVLs that do fuckall testing of loaded configs. Or keep recommending other ram ICs for anything but being cheaper, because none of them are better.

If you are feeling adventurous, you could try 8x8GB 3600C15 and tune the hell out of them, but honestly Zen1 IMC is the limiting factor and you will not hit up to the XMP timings. The next TR will probably really like that kit though (only comes with red plastic on top) because Ryzen 3k sure does.
why dual rank? I heard single rank overclocks better than dual rank.

Yeah generally 1 stick per channel is the best option plus it gives you room to grow.
Yea right. I have 1366 system will all 6 memory slots full with 2GB sticks, and it is pain to get stable system with all 6 slots full.

Is there evidence of 4 x 16 GB 1DPC-DR being better than 8 x 8 GB 2DPC-SR? Are both configurations treated identically as DR by the CPU, or is there a difference?

If the MB was t-topology then 8x8 may be about equal to 4x16 but on daisychain MB 4x16 is much better.
I have no idea what layout most threadripper MB use.

Back