4x wd raptors raid 0 how fast is that?

is it worth it? cus i messed up on my orders and ended up with 4x wd raptor drive... now im thinking whether i should keep it or return it... are there any actual numbers or n e thing i can use?

Originally posted by kynaccrue
is it worth it? cus i messed up on my orders and ended up with 4x wd raptor drive... now im thinking whether i should keep it or return it... are there any actual numbers or n e thing i can use?

id say its not worth it.

You could always send me two. :D

But I'd return them. Get 2 x 120 GB, or even 160 GB, hard drives. Way more space.

About the 64bit /33mhz bus, sure it is quicker then the 32bit/33mhz bus, BUT if the SATA bus is only 15mb what difference does it make? Now if you were talking 4 U320 SCSI drives, then the larger PCI bus would make a difference because of the SCSI bus running at 320mb.

Originally posted by Psyco
About the 64bit /33mhz bus, sure it is quicker then the 32bit/33mhz bus, BUT if the SATA bus is only 15mb what difference does it make? Now if you were talking 4 U320 SCSI drives, then the larger PCI bus would make a difference because of the SCSI bus running at 320mb.

It's 150MB/s per Channel - each drive has it's own channel ;) 4*36GB Raptor + Promise Controller in RAID0 == ~215+MB/s :D when using the 66MHz PCI ;)

Benchies :

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/storage/display/promise-fts150-tx4_7.html

It will be fast...but it won't be very safe as far as data safety goes. One drive down and they all go. The raptors are supposed to be pretty reliable but I'm just saying.

Do motherboards with integrated sata controllers still pass through the pci bus or do they go right to the southbridge? Since sata gives each drive a dedicated 150MB/sec could you get a lot more then just 133MB/sec if it doesn't pass through the pci bus?

Originally posted by rally9x
It will be fast...but it won't be very safe as far as data safety goes. One drive down and they all go. The raptors are supposed to be pretty reliable but I'm just saying.

seriously! unless you truely use something that requires insane STR, a raid 0 with four drives is simply rediculous :eek:

I have 2 in raid 0 and its hella fast, I immagine depending on what controller you use and what bus you use it thru, 4 would be fast as hell...

seriously! unless you truely use something that requires insane STR, a raid 0 with four drives is simply rediculous

Are you saying there is such thing as too fast Neb? Simply Blasphemes

Originally posted by rally9x
Are you saying there is such thing as too fast Neb? Simply Blasphemes

no that was me :p
specifically I said that if your stripe width (# of drive in the RAID Array) is too great, the buffer cache will fillup before you can transfer the data to the bus (because the bus bandwidth is too narrow, and other traffic on the bus) a condition called speed matching
at which point the drives stop writing to the cache until it clears, and then have to wait till the place they stopped at spins back around again to restart

see my links above ;)

Originally posted by mcryptic
Do motherboards with integrated sata controllers still pass through the pci bus or do they go right to the southbridge? Since sata gives each drive a dedicated 150MB/sec could you get a lot more then just 133MB/sec if it doesn't pass through the pci bus?

Intel's ICH5 has two native SATA channels on the southbridge that do NOT use the PCI bus. The southbridge itself has 266mb/s of bandwidth. Any additonal onboard SATA channels use the PCI bus.

Intel's next southbridge, the ICH6, has 4 native SATA channels and a much bigger connection to the Northbridge using PCI Express.

i am using the ECS 755-A right now and i'm using the onbard SATA RAID controller for my two WD raptors (36GB). i was wondering if this controller uses the pci bus or the mutiol bus??

The ECS 755-A uses the SiS 964 Southbridge, which has two native SATA RAID controllers.

So, your SATA controller has full access to the 1GB/s MuTIOL interface. It does not use the PCI bus.

Originally posted by mungbean
Why not use RAID 0+1 with the 4 drives and get speed and reliability?:)

Why not?
Because that would make perfect sense, and we can't have any of that now!:p

Back