4x 320gb 7200.10 or 4x 74gb raptor RAID 0?

z3r0-

[H]ard|Gawd
I have two 8mb cache 74gb raptors now and I'm thinking about either getting two more or selling them and getting 4 seagates. My only concerns are game loading and OS responsiveness. As far as I know the seagates will have greater bandwidth but will it make up for the slower platter? Would I be best to switch to 16mb cache raptors?

You'd be better off adding another two raptors. Why would you use 4x320gb for your system drive..... That's a complete waste.

Why would you use 4x320gb for your system drive..... That's a complete waste.
Word. Two will give you more responsiveness than four. And the improved STR of two drives will be plenty even though not really even a factor in your use.

Do what i did.

Sell the 2 raptors, get a 150GB Raptor for the OS, 2 x 500GB drives for RAID 0 and a 750GB drive for storage.

Burner27 said:
Do what i did.

Sell the 2 raptors, get a 150GB Raptor for the OS, 2 x 500GB drives for RAID 0 and a 750GB drive for storage.

what is the point of the RAID 0 array?

faster loading times - but how much faster and how much a person would notice it or benefit from it is always a hot debate.

redd38 said:
what is the point of the RAID 0 array?

I do a lot of video re-encoding. the Raid helps. I would never use it for an OS drive.

Burner27 said:
I would never use it for an OS drive.
Why so? I run it on my OS... Though, I don't keep anything important on the OS drive incase the array goes corrupt. Really speeds up sequential reads, like loading some games and copying files to the OS from another drive. I guess its just that I could have my OS drive go corrupt and not give a squat since I don't keep anything important on it. That's what storage drives are for :)

DriveEuro said:
Why so? I run it on my OS... Though, I don't keep anything important on the OS drive incase the array goes corrupt. Really speeds up sequential reads, like loading some games and copying files to the OS from another drive. I guess its just that I could have my OS drive go corrupt and not give a squat since I don't keep anything important on it. That's what storage drives are for :)

Not by much it doesn't.

I don't know what you guys are smoking, I see a HUGE difference between raid and single drive. Hell running matrix raid on my old p5b deluxe I was getting ~40mb faster sustained read than my nvraid array and it felt MUCH faster.

So you're saying 2>4 as far as responsiveness goes? Would it be wise to switch to 16mb cache raptors? Is the 150gb model faster than the 74gb 16mb cache version?

z3r0- said:
I don't know what you guys are smoking, I see a HUGE difference between raid and single drive. Hell running matrix raid on my old p5b deluxe I was getting ~40mb faster sustained read than my nvraid array and it felt MUCH faster.

You basing that on synthetic benchmarks. Try using real world apps to test.

Burner27 said:
You basing that on synthetic benchmarks. Try using real world apps to test.

Note how it said the word FEEL and FASTER because it would load games and install apps much quicker?

The 16MB cache Raptors are a generation newer and a good deal faster.

Back