4th Defendant Convicted Of Defrauding EA Of Over $16M In Virtual Currency

HardOCP News

[H] News
Maybe these guys can argue at sentencing that, since they stole virtual currency, they should be sent to virtual jail. Or maybe they can pay back the $16 million in FIFA coins. :D

Clark and his co-conspirators circumvented multiple security mechanisms created by EA in order to fraudulently obtain FIFA coins worth over $16 million. Specifically, Clark and his co-conspirators created software that fraudulently logged thousands of FIFA Football matches within a matter of seconds, and as a result, EA computers credited Clark and his co-conspirators with improperly earned FIFA coins. Clark and his co-conspirators subsequently exchanged their FIFA coins on the secondary market for over $16 million.

Sounds like EA screwed up and should have capitalized on selling fifa coins directly.
This is kind of a stretch to me being fraud. The virtual money is worthless.

The virtual money is worthless.

... it's actually worth whatever someone else would pay for it. In this case, these guys stole $16 million worth.

*I* cannot believe FIFA coins could conceivably be worth $16 million. It's crazy to me how much value is placed on these virtual items that are, to most people, useless. ;)

Maybe they should have to work it off with $16M of more fake matches, giving the proceeds back to EA. :D

MbHvzna.jpg

I still don't get how it's fraud. The secondary market isn't even controlled by EA it sounds like. So the loser is whoever controlled that secondary market?

What a load of shat that ruling is. I hope they take this to the Supreme Court.

FIFA coins aren't a currency. They're an infinite quantity of a made up object. If anything, the idiots who bought them should sue the "hackers."

The scary thing is now this ruling means cheating a game or "hacking" a game is legally defrauding a company.

Unless EA sells the FIFA coins to consumers, I don't know who the defendants defrauded EA.

They were caught doing wire fraud not piracy. However i'm sure EA wasn't pleased that they missed out on all that money. I still blame EA for this one. They could have been selling coins the entire time.

Hmmm... What? I'm wondering who they sold 16 mil worth of useless online currency to.

Back