4TB Western Digital BLACK SN850X SSD $381.99

Good deals on both drives. That 4TB 850X is tempting. I've got 3 of the 2TB and they're superb. Do I need another 4TB? Nope, but this is [H] where WANT always prevails over need. :ROFLMAO:

EDIT: WANT remains undefeated on [H]. Just pulled the trigger. Thanks for the heads up, OP!!

Last edited:
Where ssd prices are at currently, this is about 50% more expensive than it should be.

Where ssd prices are at currently, this is about 50% more expensive than it should be.

And also don't forget that unlike HDDs if you fill an SSD over 50% it dramatically slows down the read and write speeds. So this SSD is really only 2TB (or more like 1.92TB).

And also don't forget that unlike HDDs if you fill an SSD over 50% it dramatically slows down the read and write speeds. So this SSD is really only 2TB (or more like 1.92TB).
Wow that’s next level mental gymnastics to crap on SSDs. Enjoy your spinning plates!

Eh... depends on the drive, workload, workload history, operating system, filesystem, controller, cache type, alternative cell usage patterns, etc. This is absolutely not a blanket statement.

...wat?

Seriously, this is not even close to accurate. While SSDs do need some extra space to do their wear leveling and erasing pages, they have that and it is just capacity you don't see shown to you. Filling them up beyond half does not cause their performance to tank.

Example from my computer: My samples drive is a 2TB SK P41 nVME drive. It has 1.66TB of 1.81TB used so 92% full. Rated sequential read speed is 7000MB/sec. Tested read speed in Crystaldiskmark just now was 7154MB/sec.

The problem SSDs face is not with getting full, but with repeated writes. Every time a page is erased, it damages the flash a bit and there is a finite number of times it can happen before it is no longer usable. So if you have an application that hammers a disk with writes, it can be a lifespan issue. Thing is, you don't if you are using a desktop. Such use cases are very rare, pretty much only in the server market and then you just get drives with more overprovisioning to deal with it. You get disks rates in terms of "disk writes per day" which means what it sounds like: How many times you can write the entire disk's worth of data per day for whatever the warranty period is. For desktop usage, you just don't worry, you aren't going to wear your disk out any time soon.

As a side note: The fastest sequential reads I've ever tested out of a 7200rpm magnetic drive are right around 200MB/sec, and then only for the outer edge of the disk. So a gen 4 nVME drive would have to drop to below 3% of its rated speed before it was on the same level. Never mind random access.

Back