4TB NVMe Recommendations

Arkanian

[H]ard|Gawd
I am thinking about getting the 4TB WD SN850X. Does anyone know when the Samsung 990 Pro 4TB comes out? Should I wait for that, get the WD, or something else?

I like the FireCuda 530. But if you're just gaming, it really doesn't matter all of them are nice. Buy mine if you want!

What are you going to be doing with the drive? High capacity NVME storage I start looking at Ebay enterprise gear. Open box unused U.2 7.68 TB drives were nearly the same price as 4TB M.2. Prices have jumped some since I last looked. I picked up 23 TB of PCIe gen3 for $1,320 + $60 in adapters. All zero hour use drives. If you don't need the crazy sequential performance.

What are you going to be doing with the drive? High capacity NVME storage I start looking at Ebay enterprise gear. Open box unused U.2 7.68 TB drives were nearly the same price as 4TB M.2. Prices have jumped some since I last looked. I picked up 23 TB of PCIe gen3 for $1,320 + $60 in adapters. All zero hour use drives. If you don't need the crazy sequential performance.
Just 1 drive with OS, games, vr, and used for unreal development. I don't need an enterprise drive as it won't be storing long term storage.

Just 1 drive with OS, games, vr, and used for unreal development. I don't need an enterprise drive as it won't be storing long term storage.
For the most part, users are unable to tell the speed difference between most SSDs unless they have some specific use case for the high speed storage. With that said, I've got a nice Gen4 NVMe GM7000 Predator drive for sale if you want it :p But I would be fully comfortable recommending almost any 4TB non-QLC drive as meeting your needs.

The SN850x, Firecude 530, Kingston Fury Renegade, and Sabrent 4TB Rocket 4 Plus look like options. Last I knew most 4 TB drives had parts on the back side with no airflow. That would concern me on a real fast drive.

The SN850x, Firecude 530, Kingston Fury Renegade, and Sabrent 4TB Rocket 4 Plus look like options. Last I knew most 4 TB drives had parts on the back side with no airflow. That would concern me on a real fast drive.
Other options would be 2 2TB in raid 0 but I don’t want to do that.

For anything over 2TB, I'd go with a regular 4TB SSD like the Samsung 870 Evo, over a 4TB NVMe. I have the 4TB 860 Evo in my new build.

For anything over 2TB, I'd go with a regular 4TB SSD like the Samsung 870 Evo, over a 4TB NVMe. I have the 4TB 860 Evo in my new build.
Why? At this point it now makes sense to go NVME since next year we will start getting games that actually make some use of it. Plus it is so nice and clean not having SATA and power cables. I just went with a 2 TB Corsair MP600 NH for boot and two 4 TB versions of the same drive for games. I am about to put my 4 TB 850 Evo and 4 TB 860 Evo drives up for sale.

Why? At this point it now makes sense to go NVME since next year we will start getting games that actually make some use of it. Plus it is so nice and clean not having SATA and power cables. I just went with a 2 TB Corsair MP600 NH for boot and two 4 TB versions of the same drive for games. I am about to put my 4 TB 850 Evo and 4 TB 860 Evo drives up for sale.
M.2 does allow for a clean build. The problem is the M.2 2280 form factor. When high capacity means they have to put parts between the PCB and the motherboard. It's not hot swap. The little screws are horrible (I've lost two and have a baggy of spares now for that reason). I hate that the components are exposed and think a 2.5" or 1.8" enclosure would be great.

Back when Sandy Bridge came out I bought some Lenovo machines for work that had SATA and SATA power coming straight off the motherboard. I thought it just a cost cutting thing at the time but now I think that would be a great thing for a cabled PCIe connection for desktop storage. Single cable coming off the motherboard with data and power to an enclosed storage device. OEMs have done this forever with backplanes and storage controllers in servers.

I have no issue with M.2 for grandmas machine and sales guy's laptop. I don't like it for serious data storage.

WD4Me :D Always had great luck with them.

Sammy's are great but hella $$ as compared to most other brands, and for the miniscule diffs in performance readings here & there, they just aren't worth the extra coin IMHO...

Just an FYI, but the 4TB 850x's are already at or near $200-225 already, so I'll be buyin a bunch of them as soon as they bottom out, as I have several clients that want to upgrade from the 2TB's I installed for them less than a year ago...

But that's ok, since I have some other clients that are looking for fast but affordable boot drives and/or external storage set-ups, and this way I will be able to save them some $$ & make some moar for myself too :D

I have no issue with M.2 for grandmas machine and sales guy's laptop. I don't like it for serious data storage.
Why do you say that? I like M.2 for boot drive and other partitions, replacing 2.5" SSDs and spinning rust.

Back