4TB drive showing up as 1678gb and requiring EFI reflashes

niconx

2[H]4U
I tried running the Hitatchi WinDFT tool to erase the whole drive (took hours) and the MBR (even though it is a GPT disk). The Hitatchi tool says the drive is 4TB in one window and then in the next it says it is 3TB. Disk management, diskpart, and Testdisk all say the drive is 1678GB (the entire drive not just a partition). Now I have also had problems when I connected this drive to a PC I had to reflash the EFI to get it to start up again. I think the problem was when this drive was connected to a Rosewill dock that only supports 3TB drives, not 4TB. Problem is that I can't get the drive to work as 4TB again no matter what I do. The drive was directly connected using SATA for all this troubleshooting, none of this usb dock business. Any suggestions on what's going on here???

PS this may also be happening to a 4TB Seagate drive that was incorrectly used with the same dock. Still investigating that.

Finally found a solution. After getting a new (Sabrent) usb dock that was compatible with 4tb drives and plugging the drive into that dock it is suddenly 4tb again when I run diskpart. Something about these USB docks is manually changing drive geometry in the drive's firmware settings. Reminds me of the old days when it was necessary to go into bios to set HDD cylinders/heads/sectors in order for a drive to work correctly.

sounds like the dock only supports 2tb, and therefor you only see the part of the disk after the 2tb overflow, 1.6tb

The Rosewill dock supports 3TB drives, I have figured out why it shows 1678gb. It appears this problem is not as fixed as i thought it was. So on USB it will show 4tb, but if I switch back to SATA it will go back to being 1678gb when I run diskpart. If I move it to a different computer on SATA it will be detected as 4tb. So I think I found a EFI bug in my motherboard or windows or some damn thing.

It's not a bug or anything.

That computer you plugged it into, the sata port only supports 2tb disks.

The other computer, that sata port supports >2tb disks.

OK real source of the problem was found. Apparently it was some type of weird driver problem with the Intel RST 10.0.0.1046 drivers. Updated to the most recent 10.5.0.1026 Intel driver from Asus and the problem was solved. I thought that driver was already installed but... no.

Back