4k tv with HDR for under 500$ possible? For new xbo-x

jarablue

[H]ard|Gawd
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Don't expect much from "HDR" on an LCD that isn't even locally dimmed. The TCL P-series and the Vizio M-series are the cheapest HDR TVs that are even vaguely worthwhile.

What is the bare minimum price point for good HDR?

Nothing is going to compare to OLED. They're too far ahead of the LCD competition in every area except peak absolute brightness level, and even then, only the most expensive LCD TVs beat OLED for brightness peaks.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-features/hdr

If you are going to spend money on an HDR TV, I would describe the TCL 55P607 as the bare minimum. But honestly there's a reason that only the OLEDs and a few top models from Sony/Panasonic/Samsung meet the spec to display HDR properly(the UHD Premium spec).

Same as cageymaru , I have the Samsung KU6300, which I got for $500. For the price, it's been great but the HDR support is bogus. I mean it looks slightly better, but it's not real HDR (and watch out, there are other deceptively marketed TVs out there).

I did see real HDR on the LG OLED sets in the store, and they looked absolute phenomenal. Like as good or better as going from SD to HD. But you won't find them for $500, so I guess you get what you pay for.

Will this work as well as the 55" JS9000 series a lot of us bought 2 years ago? My friend is looking for the same thing so he can have a big monitor for PC gaming and Xbox gaming. BEst investment hands down I ever made was this 55" for pc use

If you wnat the cheapest option get that tcl since if i had the money too i would but i already have the 40inch samsung ku6300 which i use for pc and 4k-blu-ray watching.

I was looking at pulling the trigger on the 55" TCL when my XBOX One X came in but it looks like it's gone out of stock. It's one of the few I could find with good local dimming / full back light (vs edge lit). Maybe a new version is about to come out or something?

I bought my 49" KU6500 earlier this year for $350 when they were clearing out the 2016 Samsung models. While the HDR doesn't support the brightness needed and is sketchy due to being edge lit, it does improve the perceived contrast in content that supports. Overall it's a visual improvement, but not as good as an OLED. For the money I paid I can't complain. Input lag and color reproduction is great for gaming and movies.

Yeah, I don't want to get down on the KU6300 too much, since I still use it every day and it's great. The HDR is somewhat disappointing, but better than not having it.

However, I would recommend waiting until the Black Friday sales to buy. There are a LOT of 4K TVs on the market this year, and they will try to clean out the stock on Black Friday. You can likely get something decent for $300 or $400.

I was looking at pulling the trigger on the 55" TCL when my XBOX One X came in but it looks like it's gone out of stock. It's one of the few I could find with good local dimming / full back light (vs edge lit). Maybe a new version is about to come out or something?

you might wanna see if the noisy image quality bothers you before buying the 55" TCL's.
Every other pixel is dimmed, making the picture look grainy.

You can check out the samples at rtings.com
Rtings didn't review the 55" S series, but the pixel dimming artifacts are there.

4OnTGqQ.jpg

Is that a result of local dimming vs being edge lit? I'm kind of surprised - from what I've read, the TCL 55" P series generally gets good reviews.

My current 1080p TV setup is a Vizio M series from a few years back. Happy with it but wanted to go slightly bigger (maybe 60 or 65) when I finally went 4k, plus get a set that did all HDR (both HDR 10 and Dolby Vision) just to cover the bases. The TCL was one of the few I could find that had that (though it was only 55).

Keep in mind, this is for a TV not a monitor (sitting 5+ feet back) and not sitting directly in front of it.

I guess I'll keep looking. The XBox isn't coming out until next month anyway (already have some 4K HDR BluRays ready to go!).

P series is top rated because it is being judged from normal viewing distances where the image noise is not noticeable, and the TV is feature rich.... very bright, HDR, dolby, FALD, etc etc.

no, it's not local dimming. It's there even at max brightness.

it's always there because the weird algorithm it uses to render colors. It renders so many colors by turning off or dimming half the pixels, rather than dimming all the pixels evenly.

Surprisingly, shown below, the top end Q series samsungs have a similar color algorithm, though rtings seems to imply that it isn't as bad, as it only dims half the blue subpixels, and might have a workaround by turning off warm color temperature.....

pixels.gif

q7f-pixels-small.jpg

P series is top rated because it is being judged from normal viewing distances where the image noise is not noticeable, and the TV is feature rich.... very bright, HDR, dolby, FALD, etc etc.

no, it's not local dimming. It's there even at max brightness.

it's always there because the weird algorithm it uses to render colors. It renders so many colors by turning off or dimming half the pixels, rather than dimming all the pixels evenly.

Surprisingly, shown below, the top end Q series samsungs have a similar color algorithm, though rtings seems to imply that it isn't as bad, as it only dims half the blue subpixels, and might have a workaround by turning off warm color temperature.....

pixels.gif

q7f-pixels-small.jpg
Very interesting. I actually have yet to see these in person, but it might change my mind on HDR and LCD panels for the better.

Back