4k TV with half decent HDR for 600$ to 650$ soley for XB1X gaming?

jarablue

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi everyone, I am looking to spend a max of 650$ on a 4k TV that will be used only for my XB1X console gaming needs. What I would like is something in the size range of 40 to 50 inches if possible. Do you guys recommend anything that is a defacto buy for that price point? I have 0 eye issues and just want a nice TV for my geeky dork married gaming life habbit :)

I would recommend expanding your search to 40+" 4k monitors with FreeSync which the X can take advantage of, providing lower input lag and a smoother experience compared to a traditional TV.

TCL 55 P60x series (605/607/608 <- all the same, just sold by different companies and may come with different remotes) . It does HDR and has full backlight local dimming (not just edge lit). Also it's right in your price range. It was the set I was looking at for myself. Check it out.

EDIT: Forgot to mention - the good specs only comes in 55" - the smaller models aren't as good.

I would recommend expanding your search to 40+" 4k monitors with FreeSync which the X can take advantage of, providing lower input lag and a smoother experience compared to a traditional TV.

Do any games support that yet?

I think that you're going to find that any HDR solution for such a low price will be pretty-much half-assed.

Also, don't most current TVs add significant input lag when running in HDR mode? It kinda destroys the whole point of upgrading.

Also, don't most current TVs add significant input lag when running in HDR mode? It kinda destroys the whole point of upgrading.

Surprisingly no. With most current TV's the HDR adds pretty much no lag as long as the TV is in game or PC mode.

Anyway, if you want HDR that is not halfassed you need to spend more than 600$. Unfortunately cheap TV's tend to be merely HDR compatible but are actually incapable of showing it as HDR should be seen. At best you may see a slightly increased range between brightest brights and blacks, but without any basic local dimming technology black levels itself are bad in darker scenes because the backlight gets maxed out in HDR. And wide gamut colorspace tends to be missing in this price range too.

Surprisingly no. With most current TV's the HDR adds pretty much no lag as long as the TV is in game or PC mode.

Wait, so you still get the FULL experience of HDR when you're in game mode? I thought this wasn't the case?

If it DOES work exactly the same, what the hell point is there for the TV to operate OUTSIDE of game mode with that kind of input lag?

Game mode has no picture processing from what I've heard. Whatever signal it gets, that's what shows up. If the XBOX sends an HDR signal - that gets piped through (I guess). The other modes probably do onboard processing and also add input lag - but both are irrelevant if you are just watching a movie.

Wait, so you still get the FULL experience of HDR when you're in game mode? I thought this wasn't the case?

If it DOES work exactly the same, what the hell point is there for the TV to operate OUTSIDE of game mode with that kind of input lag?

Yup. HDR is not a fake post-processing trick so it doesn't need to be turned off to reduce lag.

There are other useful things that get turned off. Like 10-point white balance calibration.

Back