4K Monitor/TV for Gaming/PS4 Pro

delita

[H]ard|Gawd
So my X34 has a dead pixel, and even though it's just ONE, it's now bothering me to the point that I stare at it on a constant basis and it's driving me crazy. I want to get a 4k monitor or TV now for PS4 Pro that I can also use on my desktop as a monitor. I just wanted to get a QUICK CONSENSUS on what the current BEST monitor or TV is that's 4k 32-40 inches. I currently have Gsync on the X34 but it's not really the highest priority, I could live without it if there's a TV out there in the range that's 40" or so that is just an absolute beast in terms of picture quality. But I've been out of the game since I got the X34 so I dunno what the creme dela creme is right now. HEEEELLPPP!

I've been seeing the Sony XBR43X800D get favorably mentioned in some of these discussions based on the criteria you are stating. Even I'm casually considering it because I'd love to have an "all in one" TV and monitor situation in a perfect world. ;) I'm not convinced we're there yet but I'm starting to see the gap tighten.

If you understand some of the potential downsides of going the "TV route" and don't care about *-sync then it might be worth putting that on your potential shortlist somewhere.

Last edited:
I've been seeing the Sony XBR43X800D get favorably mentioned in some of these discussions based on the criteria you are stating. Even I'm casually considering it because I'd love to have an "all in one" TV and monitor situation in a perfect world. ;)

If you understand some of the potential downsides of going the "TV route" and don't care about *-sync then it might be worth putting that on your potential shortlist somewhere.
Interesting - less than I thought too price wise. I currently have a new 2016 Vizio P series as my living room TV, 55" IPS but they don't do 4:4:4 @ 60hz apparently from what I've read on this forum and 55" is too big for my desk and most gaming applications, IMO. 43 could work. I'd love to see some OLEDs in the mix but it seems like most everything in this current generation has pretty high latency from what I've looked at thus far.

Interesting - less than I thought too price wise. I currently have a new 2016 Vizio P series as my living room TV, 55" IPS but they don't do 4:4:4 @ 60hz apparently from what I've read on this forum and 55" is too big for my desk and most gaming applications, IMO. 43 could work. I'd love to see some OLEDs in the mix but it seems like most everything in this current generation has pretty high latency from what I've looked at thus far.

IMHO: OLED is still probably a good 2-3 years out to being where we all would want it to be for gaming and faster applications like that and especially for the prices being asked which is all typical early adopter market stuff so far.

Price wise: I don't know when or how long it would take to get a quality OLED display around 40 inches thereabouts for south of $700 like this 43 inch Sony is right now. It's a nice looking value on paper at least. Maybe the same amount of time? 2-3 years?

The Sony 850 (?) does 1080p 120 fps. This doesn't. If it did I'd probably be closer to pulling the trigger. Since I use a single 980Ti and probably won't upgrade that until a 1080Ti or some such comes out I have to be real about any display I buy when considering PC gaming. ;)

I'm impressed with G sync and especially the higher refresh rates but I am still a bit wary about some of the panel roulette and other trade offs. We'll see.

Last edited:
IMHO: OLED is still probably a good 2-3 years out to being where we all would want it to be for gaming and faster applications like that and especially for the prices being asked which is all typical early adopter market stuff so far.

Price wise: I don't know when or how long it would take to get a quality OLED display around 40 inches thereabouts for south of $700 like this 43 inch Sony is right now. It's a nice looking value on paper at least. Maybe the same amount of time? 2-3 years?

The Sony 850 (?) does 1080p 120 fps. This doesn't. If it did I'd probably be closer to pulling the trigger. Since I use a single 980Ti and probably won't upgrade that until a 1080Ti or some such comes out I have to be real about any display I buy when considering PC gaming. ;)

I'm impressed with G sync and especially the higher refresh rates but I am still a bit wary about some of the panel roulette and other trade offs. We'll see.

Yeah...I've enjoyed my X34 (and I got it refurb BTW, paid like half MSRP) but in less than a year I have a dead pixel. One could argue one dead pixel isn't a big deal but when you are looking any anything with a light or white background it sticks out like a sore thumb and I can't help but just STARE AT IT ENDLESSLY. Also, I find that 3440x1440 @ 100hz is pretty hard to drive with new games, the Gsync helps for sure but I'm never getting anywhere near that 100 frame mark on newer titles. Widescreen is also cool, but alas there are still some game developers who decide to not include 21:9 in their resolution options. THUS, I feel like I could get a good deal going with a 4k display that has really really spectacular color, and double the use for the PS4 Pro because I'll be playing in my office anyway and not on the main living room TV.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
Once you see something you can't unsee it. ;)

I'd probably bite on 21:9 if I saw more consistent support for it. I'm surprised that hasn't happened. I think it's great for gaming.

I would think it would be a no brainer successor for the people that use multiple monitors. Who wants the bezels if you don't have to have them?

Back