4K monitor / IPS / 60Hz

greyx

Limp Gawd
I'm looking for a 4K monitor / IPS / 60Hz
Are there any ?
It will be used for OS X / photo / video / editing, no gaming at all, but 60Hz would be great.
I don't want 1440p / 1080p / 21:9 aspect ratio /
Only 4K, 28 or 32 inches / IPS / 60Hz
Thank you.

There are only two non-TN 4K's out. The 31.5" IGZO and the 24" Dell IPS.

Yes, there are like four models by different manufacturers all using that same panel. I don't like that panel, has horrible PWM. I own the 24" 4K Dell, its beautiful.

Wait for single tile 4K displays, they will be cheaper and are right around the corner.

Asus is coming out with an 27" IPS for <$1000 later this year. Samsung is coming out with the 31.5" UD970 this August (price unknown).

Wait for single tile 4K displays, they will be cheaper and are right around the corner.

Asus is coming out with an 27" IPS for <$1000 later this year. Samsung is coming out with the 31.5" UD970 this August (price unknown).

If the 32" Samsung is around 1.5k or even 2k I'll consider it. But the article say's around 4k.

If the 32" Samsung is around 1.5k or even 2k I'll consider it. But the article say's around 4k.

Will probably be south of $2k, I cannot see them going as high as $4k. Maybe it was the plan at one point, but with Asus pricing their 27" at sub-$1000 it won't be competitive at all. Also, Samsung's top of the line curved 55" 4K TV doesn't even cost that much.

Will probably be south of $2k, I cannot see them going as high as $4k. Maybe it was the plan at one point, but with Asus pricing their 27" at sub-$1000 it won't be competitive at all. Also, Samsung's top of the line curved 55" 4K TV doesn't even cost that much.

Good to know.

What is a single tile display?

Probably meant ones that can do 4K@60Hz without resolving to displayport multistream mode, that presents display as two virtual halves of screen. Of course in reality they all are single panel screens, just that due limitations of early chips/boards for 4K displays for first models it was only way to get 60Hz. Unfortunately it may bring few issues with that, as requires good bugless multimonitor support from gpu side, thus advise to wait for single stream mode displays. There is alternative to DP, HDMI 2.0, bandwith of which is also sufficient for 4k@60hz SST, but currently no gpu supports that version of hdmi port. IIRC there are already some PC 4K monitors with 60hz via DP SST, eg. samsung's ones, but i don't like them for other problems.
Regarding 4K displays advise from my side would be also to wait .. just rather for bigger display sizes, then currently available up to 32". Imho 39-40" should be reasonable starting point for displays of that resolution.

Dell had their refurbished 31.5" 4K IPS on sale for $1329 this past weekend.

I almost ordered one and thought better of it. I am waiting for single tile models.

Citation from this press release:
In addition, by increasing to about 23kHz dimming frequency, we have also achieved a reduction in flicker.
Question to the experts:
Would 23 kHz dimming frequency be a good value?
They are talking about "reduction in flicker": To me this means that it would still flickering.

There are also the variants of the 4k AHVA-panel (which is IPS, pretty much).
Seems like the most affordable since the other expensive ones are quite bad quality anyway.

As a reminder, Samsung plans to ship a 27" 4K (3840 x 2160) monitor with an AHVA panel from AU Optronics for under $1000 street in September. This should be one of the first relatively affordable single tile, IPS-type 4K monitors to hit the market.

The current 4k's aren't really worth the price. If you really want to try one, get the 32" Sharp that Apple's online store sells as they pay for return shipping if you want a refund.

Back