4k gaming is Dumb

I bought my LG C8 55 OLED at Best Buy Black Friday Sale For $1,699.99
My new PC Gaming Monitor:)

20181123_212811.jpg

fun.jpg
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197970285643/

The video was making sense until 8:00, when he said "you can not have both".

Zysworks displays offer both 4k 120hz and 1080p 240hz modes, with strobe and scan modes for even better motion blur reduction.

Last edited:
Reactions: mikeo
like this
So haven't read all of the thread but here goes.

Gaming at 4K at standard monitor resolutions is probably best suited for photo design rather than gaming.

Gaming at 4K at >= 40" is a noticeably different level of immersion, the image fills much more of your vision.

Gaming at 4K in HDR on one of the higher end OLED or QLED displays is breathtaking, and the visual fidelity is far superior in static images in games.

Gaming at 75hz - 240hz makes dynamic motion imaging much clearer and can improve visual fidelity.

Gaming at 75hz - 240hz can make you better at gaming IF you're already bottlenecked in your ability; it's not going to make you much better if you're not good to begin with.

Conclusion
Gaming for immersion and visual quality is probably better suited for 4K HDR, but gaming for competitive satisfaction is probably better suited for 75hz+. Single-player campaigns can benefit from 4K HDR in that you aren't as worried about competing with someone else and can be more focused on the immersive quality of the gaming experience. Multi-player focused gamers may want to utilize higher refresh rate panels that give them fewer bottlenecks to worry about.

Since some of the 4K HDR TVs of 2017+ have the ability to both perform at 4K HDR and can output 1080p at 120hz, this would seem like the best option for someone wanting the most value, as the TV is also better suited for displaying movies.

A fortiori, unless your use case demands the most from refresh rate, or you're using the monitor for photo design, it may be beneficial to look at the 4K options available before making your purchasing decision.

I personally may be biased, as I'm writing this on a OLED55B7, and have been doing nicely in BFV, Overwatch and a number of other games. In BFV my main is Recon, sniping doesn't appear to be overly impacted by the monitor if you're locked at a steady frame rate, but the input device selection does make a significant difference. I would look at one of the QLED options from Samsung if you're just getting into the TV side of this selection since OLED can have dimming of the screen when not in game as occurs with web page viewing.

Last edited:
like this
I recently got an OLED c8 55" as well. I think it is the best of both worlds as fast twitch games like BO4 work great at 1080p 120hz (rendering it at a higher resolution helps a lot too) and games with really good visuals are outstanding in 4k HDR, and a 2080 ti has no issues with 4k60 all settings ultra or 1080p120 all settings ultra (with the exception of RTX).

One of my co-workers recently went from a 4K/60 PC monitor to a 3840×1440/100-120 monitor and he sounded ecstatic with the change. He has 2x SLI GTX 1080s and seems to enjoy the higher frame rates over the 4K resolution.

View attachment 123808

View attachment 123809

were you able to get 4k60 444 working? I can only get 444 working at 30hz, as soon as I set it to 60 it drops to YCbCr420 and text looks terrible. The same cable worked fine 60hz 444 on my older 50" samsung with the same video card. If you got it working, which HDMI cable did you use? I've tried four different ones and none of them can do it.

Edit: used one of the displayports on the 2080 ti with an active displayport to hdmi adapter, and getting 444 60hz now. Might be a bug with the 2080 ti where the HDMI port on it just doesn't support it with this TV.

Last edited:
were you able to get 4k60 444 working? I can only get 444 working at 30hz, as soon as I set it to 60 it drops to YCbCr420 and text looks terrible. The same cable worked fine 60hz 444 on my older 50" samsung with the same video card. If you got it working, which HDMI cable did you use? I've tried four different ones and none of them can do it.

Edit: used one of the displayports on the 2080 ti with an active displayport to hdmi adapter, and getting 444 60hz now. Might be a bug with the 2080 ti where the HDMI port on it just doesn't support it with this TV.

https://www.amazon.com/HDMI-Cable-6...Y340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=4k+hdmi+cable&psc=1

60.jpg

When connecting to a PC, the HDMI input must have its icon changed to 'PC'. 4k @ 60 Hz @ 4:2:2 or 4:4:4 color is only supported when 'HDMI ULTRA HD Deep Color' is enabled in the 'Picture/Additional Settings/' menu for the chosen input.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
like this

View attachment 123808

View attachment 123809

https://www.amazon.com/HDMI-Cable-6...Y340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=4k+hdmi+cable&psc=1

View attachment 124046

When connecting to a PC, the HDMI input must have its icon changed to 'PC'. 4k @ 60 Hz @ 4:2:2 or 4:4:4 color is only supported when 'HDMI ULTRA HD Deep Color' is enabled in the 'Picture/Additional Settings/' menu for the chosen input.

Yeah had all those set, still wasn't working, got it sorted using one of the displayports with an adapter though.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.

Indicates the HDMI port itself is HDMI 1.4 IIRC. HDMI 2.0 is required for 60hz at 2160p.

Clueless much? RTX 2080 TI has an HDMI 20.b HDMI port and works flawlessly @ 4:4:4 2160p @ 60Hz.

Someone either at LG, Zotac, or Nvidia dropped the ball cause this card doesnt work 444 2160p @60hz with an LG C8 55" OLED. displayport works fine with those same settings with an active DP to hdmi adapter.

I just recently bought a 65" 4k TV. I must say, the games i did test on it look amazing.
My current pc gaming setup is on a 24" 1080p 144hz screen which I will still use for the most part, at least for games where i need quick motion and response. But I will enjoy the more controller friendly games on the big screen. Forza Horizon 4 and Motorsport 7 look amazing on 4k.

Back