4K Editing Brings My Ryzen 5 1500x To Its Knees

the.ronin

Limp Gawd
I use Premiere Pro and After Effects with CUDA enabled (running GTX 1070) and so far 1080P video editing with my Ryzen 5 1500X has been smooth. But now that I am doing more 4K, I can't even properly edit because preview playback stutters too much.

A used Ryzen 7 2700X is within my budget and I may even be able to stretch it a bit to a used 3700X ($300-ish). Could I expect to see smooth, no stutter playback with this upgrade? A better GPU however is well outside my budget but I'm not even sure that will help as much as a CPU upgrade.

Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
I use Premiere Pro and After Effects with CUDA enabled (running GTX 1070) and so far 1080P video editing with my Ryzen 5 1500X has been smooth. But now that I am doing more 4K, I can't even properly edit because preview playback stutters too much.

A used Ryzen 7 2700X is within my budget and I may even be able to stretch it a bit to a used 3700X ($300-ish). Could I expect to see smooth, no stutter playback with this upgrade? A better GPU however is well outside my budget but I'm not even sure that will help as much as a CPU upgrade.

Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks.
This channel has pretty decent content about editing timeline performance. They basically scrub through a timeline (with different CPUs) and randomly click around, with various resolutions and bitrates.
https://www.youtube.com/c/TechNoticeOfficial/videos

Its my understanding that Adobe still relies heavily on the CPU. If you want better GPU utilization, I hear that Davinci Resolve emphasizes the GPU a lot more than Adobe.

I can't even properly edit because preview playback stutters too much.
Maybe I will sound stupid, but could you work with a proxies version of the image and just do the final render at 4K ? Or having full quality is important in the work decision being made (or the creation of proxy too long ?)

Until your upgrade at least.

If a used 3700X is near $300, you may be better served with a 5600X.

B350 with a 5600X is not supported. Bios chip limit and all that. Checked at Asus no support. 3000 series is max on his board.

Man i just sold a 3800x for 175$ and it sat for a couple days. I dunno why cpu prices here are so high but look other places.

B350 with a 5600X is not supported. Bios chip limit and all that. Checked at Asus no support. 3000 series is max on his board.
The 6026 beta BIOS released recently should support Zen3 at this point. Looks like they are working to get it to non beta in the very near future.

Yea I saw the beta but it may not be a trouble free endeavor with 5000 series on the 350 chipset and maybe no way back if flashback isn't available.

Yea I saw the beta but it may not be a trouble free endeavor with 5000 series on the 350 chipset and maybe no way back if flashback isn't available.
This is true, better wait for some people to willingly beta test, but at this point, since the B350 and B450 chipsets are similar [forgot where I read this a long time ago] then I would expect that there should be few issues. If it works though, the 5600X would be a very good upgrade for OP.

Maybe up your storage performance from SATAIII to NVMe? Might help smooth over the odd bump.

4k requires a fast I/O subsystem. Thankfully good + fast NVMEs exist ;).

Even on the cheap you could RAID0 together 3 or 5 cheap SATAIII SSDs for some scratch space.

edit:
To add a beefier CPU will help in certain situations too. Depends on what your current storage hardware is like.

Not sure how that B350 would handle a 3900X on full load though.

CB20-p_1100.webp

https://www.techspot.com/review/1872-ryzen-9-on-older-motherboards/
Seem to be in the 3-4% to an high end x570, running stock.

The good news for those who own entry-level AM4 motherboards is that they can easily handle the new 3rd-gen Ryzen processors, from the R5 3600 all the way up to the Ryzen 9 3900X. We observed no issues with the exception of questionable memory support, though that wasn't new from 1st and 2nd-gen Ryzen parts.

^From your linked article, seems like if you have half decent airflow (ie not on an open air test bench), seems to be ok. Yeah. 3900X seems to be a good choice here too.

FWIW my 3900X handles 4k at what I consider an acceptable level.

Still want to upgrade to a 5950X, but my 3900X has been solid and was an absolutely immediate improvement over my R7 1700.

For the cost...I dont think it would hurt the overall setup.

Sure it would. He’s on a $300 budget to upgrade to something that will fix his performance issue. Eating into that for something that won’t do anything for the issue he’s seeking help on is counter productive.

What codec are you using? Some codecs can destroy the CPU and others your storage. Switch to a codec that is low CPU intensive or as LukeTbk said use a proxie.

Sure it would. He’s on a $300 budget to upgrade to something that will fix his performance issue. Eating into that for something that won’t do anything for the issue he’s seeking help on is counter productive.
Goodness me. So much outrage over a $50 upgrade (that will probably have to happen soon after anyway)! I could understand if it was me telling him to pay $1000 for a Optane drive...

Oh well.

Goodness me. So much outrage over a $50 upgrade (that will probably have to happen soon after anyway)! I could understand if it was me telling him to pay $1000 for a Optane drive...

Oh well.

No outrage my guy, simple math. If he said he had a grand to spend on upgrades, that’s a great suggestion. But he has $300 to fix his performance issues while editing 4K.

Even 4k shouldn't be that storage speed dependent - and if it is, we're talking a MUCH larger problem (like lets dig into the entire box), because you're now doing complex enough videos that you should be looking towards prosumer kit.

I'd look at task manager / resource manager and see what's maxing out. Fix whatever that item is.

Even 4k shouldn't be that storage speed dependent - and if it is, we're talking a MUCH larger problem (like lets dig into the entire box), because you're now doing complex enough videos that you should be looking towards prosumer kit.

I'd look at task manager / resource manager and see what's maxing out. Fix whatever that item is.

Encoding UHDs to HEVC 45mbps m4v with my 5950x is no different if source is on HDD and encode to SSD or even vice versa, and even from HDD to same HDD is a honest negligible difference of minutes (my encodes take ~12 hours for a 2 hour movie)

Now simply remuxing absolutely makes a difference and for that I only work off SSD

Transcodes are nice and linear. I can imagine editing requires a lot more random-sequential IO as it seeks to what you’re looking for. But I’m an amateur at best there. No idea. I agree that it’s likely not the problem though!

Back