4K Displayport issues vs HDMI for 4K resolution

Naylor

n00b
Hi guys
Was wondering if anyone could help me out with this - I have posted to another forum but nobody seems to know anything - hoping one of you could help...

I have a Panasonic TX-L65WT600 connected to my gaming PC in my lounge and for the most part it is absolutely amazing. However when I connect it with an HDMI cable I get all the resolution options I want for the desktop display, but only 30FPS in games due to the bandwith restrictions of HDMI 1.4.

Due to this, I bought a displayport cable and connected it (for up to 60FPS). It all works fine, but the desktop resolution of 4k is way too small to see icons etc, and Windows 7's scaling options are awful (scaling text up to 200% is ok, but some applications just don't like it - text gets overlayed etc).

Basically I want to have the desktop resolution at 1080p so everything is viewable from a distance, but it seems Displayport can't do this, as the resolution options are all weird ones (starting at 1600x600 and immediately jumping to 2048x768. The options available are all weird ratios until I get to 3840x2160.

I tried to create a custom resolution in the Nvidia control panel (I'm using a 780Ti) of 1920x1080 and it just crashed the display driver and the TV turned into two seperate panels on the same screen. I think this is due to the way Displayport sees the monitor vs how HDMI sees it?

This is really annoying, as Steam, Origin etc do not scale well with a 4k desktop (TONS of unused space on screen and TINY text!)

I just want a 1080p size desktop with the ability to play 4K in games. This works on HDMI but not displayport. Looks like I'm going to have to live with upscaled windows text to play games in 4K until HDMI 2.0 graphics cards are released!

Any ideas??
Thanks in advance, and I hope this makes sense!

Naylor, I have the same problem with weird and not useful resolutions using DisplayPort (1.2) on my Dell UP2414Q. It is probably an EDID *or* an NVIDIA driver issue. I assume this is the 337.88 driver you're using. I do not know if your Panasonic uses tiling (MST) for 4K @ 60 hz. This may also be a factor.

There isn't much you can do right now I think.

Naylor, I have the same problem with weird and not useful resolutions using DisplayPort (1.2) on my Dell UP2414Q. It is probably an EDID *or* an NVIDIA driver issue. I assume this is the 337.88 driver you're using. I do not know if your Panasonic uses tiling (MST) for 4K @ 60 hz. This may also be a factor.

There isn't much you can do right now I think.

Yeah I'm using the latest 337.88 drivers and I presume the display is using tiling, due to the issue with the display splitting into 2 separate windows that mirror each other.
It's a shame that this issue exists, but I guess that's the problem with cutting edge technology - you gotta bleed a bit!
Hopefully these things will be ironed out with the introduction of HDMI 2.0 on the next GPU generation that comes out...

Why do you need scaling on a 65" screen? At 68PPI reading on it shouldn't be an issue. :confused:

Why do you need scaling on a 65" screen? At 68PPI reading on it shouldn't be an issue. :confused:

It's because I sit about 6 feet away from it on my couch and use a wireless mouse/keyboard. At this distance text at 4k is only just readable. I zoom in on web browsers but it's not ideal having to strain to see text...

It's because I sit about 6 feet away from it on my couch and use a wireless mouse/keyboard. At this distance text at 4k is only just readable. I zoom in on web browsers but it's not ideal having to strain to see text...
Oh.
Then just enable scaling in the nvidia control panel, so that the GPU renders at 1080p, upscales to 4k and sends 4k to the TV, bypassing the issues the TV has with 1080p on displayport. ;)

Instead of screwing with the text scaling...did you change the DPI scaling in Windows? That should effect all GUI elements.

Thanks for the replies
I have enabled scaling in the control panel, but again it only gives me weird resolutions that are unusable. Setting custom resolutions crashes the drivers for some reason...
Also setting the DPI scaling in Windows results in stuff like this in many programs: http://i.imgur.com/KiesjpW.jpg
:mad:

This pseudo-scaling in Window is below every acceptable standards. It is just a crude workaround. Do not expect anything from it. Even with only a 133dpi UXGA screen in an old laptop I went through amazing hassles from XP to Win8. :(

Hello, Rectal Prolapse
Unfortunately I had the same problem. Upgraded to Windows 8 and the scaling is better for 4k Text, but Fraps etc still look weird. Guess I'll just have to wait it out...

Back