4k build , 2 980's till Pascal or 2 Titan's for longer.....

Dahkoht

Limp Gawd
About to finally get a Seiki 4k 40" and build a new rig selling my current one. The whole Pascal will be x10 faster etc etc from Nvidia has me throwing my hands up as I was ready to pull the trigger on two Titan X's when in stock at Amazon.

But it got me to thinking I can get two 980's for the price of one Titan X , use it for about a year , and take much less of a loss selling each of them to buddies of mine next year and replace with the Pascal. I'd have much easier time selling the 980's for half or so than unloading the Titan X's.

My main two questions are , now that folks have had 980's in sli for 4k for a while now , if I'm fine with AA off or low but most everything else high , would they be reasonable at running most games fine the next year ? I don't freak if it dips below 60 or 50 , just don't want massive stuttering.

I much prefer the one solution card , but not sure one Titan X would be comfortable for 4k so looks like currently has to be sli either way.

2nd is the fortunetelling question of will Pascal really crush anything out right now as Nvidia is saying. If not , I'd just as soon get two Titan X's and call it a day for a couple years.

Pascal won't be 10x's faster for graphics.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1855749

You could always try on Titan X OC'd and buy a second if need be. It's roughly 38% faster than a 980... The "value" decision is a personal one.

Hadn't thought of that , I might just do that , also hoping Amazon will have the Titan's in stock soon.

I've been happy with my vanilla Titan now going on two years , just wondered how much hoopla that whole x10 faster really would pan out to be.

Appreciate it

Agreed with Dayaks. Try out a Titan X OC'd (I prefer eVGA for customer support and reliability) for a less than the return the return period as specified from the store you purchase the card from. If you like the performance, get a second Titan X OC'd and enjoy the performance.

Wait for the 980ti. If the rumors are true, It will be faster then Titan X. Same amount of cuda cores with just 6gb less memory.

That to me is the card to get.

Generally speaking you are better off with more frequent upgrades than trying to stretch out upgrades via future proofing using more expensive GPUs. The newer technolgies of newer GPUs also typically brings other advantages as well.

The highest end you is more so if you need (or more accurately want) the higher performance now and are able to (or more accurately willing to) spend the premium for them.

Wait for the 980ti. If the rumors are true, It will be faster then Titan X. Same amount of cuda cores with just 6gb less memory.

That to me is the card to get.

^^^ What I'm planning (hoping) to do. I've got a pair of EVGA 980s right now that I bought in mid March. I'm waiting with baited breath to see if the 980 ti will release during my step up window. I figure it should at least be close, as long as AMD gets off their ass and drops the 390. Fingers crossed.

I thought about upgrading to a pair of Titans, but just the thought of dropping $2k on GPUs is a little tough to swallow.

Hadn't thought of that , I might just do that , also hoping Amazon will have the Titan's in stock soon.

I've been happy with my vanilla Titan now going on two years , just wondered how much hoopla that whole x10 faster really would pan out to be.

Appreciate it

I would not buy a Titan-x.

The Pascal should be significantly faster than Maxwell cards. Remember 20nm was skipped, so we are getting a double die shrink with Pascal. While the performance gains won't be 10x or anything like that It should still be the biggest gains we have seen in performance in a while.

I personally believe there won't be anything faster than a Titan X for 1.5 to 2 years. Pascal will take a while to ramp up production and die size. 980ti is a tempting card to wait for but it won't be that much cheaper than the Titan X (749 vs 999?). I would also expect the 980ti to have slightly less cores. It's hard to believe it'd be the same chip, they need to put the lower performing GM200 dies somewhere.

I personally believe there won't be anything faster than a Titan X for 1.5 to 2 years. Pascal will take a while to ramp up production and die size. 980ti is a tempting card to wait for but it won't be that much cheaper than the Titan X (749 vs 999?). I would also expect the 980ti to have slightly less cores. It's hard to believe it'd be the same chip, they need to put the lower performing GM200 dies somewhere.

Nvidia would have no problem releasing the a card with the exact same specs as the Titan-x but with only 6GB of ram and call it the 980Ti. If the 390 cards from AMD are pretty good then the 980Ti will probably be faster than the Titan-x in gaming.

28nm is a very mature process now.

What makes you think Pascal will be a year or more ramping up production? The delays/problems for 28nm were all TSMC. And 20nm wasn't worth the investment for the returns. 16nm doesn't seem to have any problems and is on schedule for this year.

Nvidia would have no problem releasing the a card with the exact same specs as the Titan-x but with only 6GB of ram and call it the 980Ti. If the 390 cards from AMD are pretty good then the 980Ti will probably be faster than the Titan-x in gaming.

28nm is a very mature process now.

What makes you think Pascal will be a year or more ramping up production? The delays/problems for 28nm were all TSMC. And 20nm wasn't worth the investment for the returns. 16nm doesn't seem to have any problems and is on schedule for this year.

Wasn't it already delayed once? Well... You said that yourself. Hell a die shrink to almost half the process size could go off without a hitch. I just wouldn't hold my breath...

Besides that I expect them to start with a small die size, like they started with Maxwell on the 750ti and ramp it up from there. It's best practices from a business standpoint.

There's rumors the 980ti will have a core count between the Titan X and 980. Then rumors it will match the Titan X. I'll choose to believe the rumors of it being in between since it makes more sense to me from a business/yield standpoint but if you want to go with 3k cores have at it! All rumors anyways.

Last edited:
Sure pascal will be 10X faster than maxwell. If you compare the top tier pascal to a low tier maxwell..... LOL

I would go the 980 route.... until pascal. Two cards will hold more value when you sell them vs one card. But I haven't actually paid much attention to second hand titan market lately to know if it holds value or not.....

Ditto, which is why I am sticking with the Titan series. As it is now, my heavily modded Skyrim install is pushing 5.2GB and I'm not done modding the game. I just hope the game engine doesn't have a conniption fit like it did the last time I pushed it that much. Had to re-install from scratch. :p

Im not sure how I feel about the 980Ti only having 6GBvram.

Wasn't it already delayed once? Well... You said that yourself. Hell a die shrink to almost half the process size could go off without a hitch. I just wouldn't hold my breath...

Besides that I expect them to start with a small die size, like they started with Maxwell on the 750ti and ramp it up from there. It's best practices from a business standpoint.

There's rumors the 980ti will have a core count between the Titan X and 980. Then rumors it will match the Titan X. I'll choose to believe the rumors of it being in between since it makes more sense to me from a business/yield standpoint but if you want to go with 3k cores have at it! All rumors anyways.

The last I heard was that 16nm was on schedule. The hitch you are talking about has already happened and that was the whole transition to 20nm. It's a much easier changeover from 20nm to 16nm ff than 28nm to 20nm. Any TSMC fab that's on the 20nm process is already 99% ready for the 16nm process.

Maybe you are right and there will be issues, but, I don't think we will have anything like the problems like the move to 28nm.

I don't know what the performance of the 980Ti will be. I was really answering those people who say Nvidia wouldn't release a card as fast as the Ttian-x because it would damage sales or whatever. It has happened before, so why not now? The people who buy the Titan cards are money no object purchasers. So what's coming up 3-6 months doesn't really matter to them.

Back