4K AppleTV with Dolby Vision/HDR10 Seemingly Confirmed by HomePod Code

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
The HomePod’s software code, which Apple released late last month, keeps on giving: developers are continuing to find strings that allude to unannounced features in future devices, and the latest discovery confirms that a 4K AppleTV is not only on the way, but that it’ll support both Dolby Vision and HDR10. Another find is that the iPhone 8’s facial recognition will work even when the phone is laying flat on its back.

We’ve long expected/hoped for/wondered where the 4K TV was, and we first heard signs that Apple was actually working on such a monster back in February via Bloomberg. That report said the new 4K AppleTV would have more vivid colors and arrive later this year. Meanwhile, Google’s ChromeCast, Android TV and just about every other streaming platform have had 4K options for years. Apple’s Macs have been able to drive 4K displays at 60Hz for quite some time. The HomePod software also leaked that the iPhone 8 would support 4K on both front and rear cameras so you’ll be able to put those 4K selfies right onto your TV.

My 2016 LG OLED55C6P TV has had 3D, 4K HDR w/ HDR10 and DV, and was available early 2016. Welcome to the party Appleite's.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
My 2016 LG OLED55C6P TV has had 3D, 4K HDR w/ HDR10 and DV, and was available early 2016. Welcome to the party Appleite's.

The AppleTV is $150. Your TV was multiple thousands on release. I'd argue that people who didn't spend thousands of dollars got a better deal. Also, in home 3D is on its death bed now so no point in bragging about that.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Honestly the guys who like Apple who are tech people who went for 4K already already moved onto Roku/Android TV/basically everyone else who tried and others as they're more flexible and this is a device where inflexibility is a killer.

See my 2x Apple TV3s that one was given away and the other is hooked up to the guest room TV no one uses.

This is one situation where the closed system HURT them badly.

No native amazon app really pissed me off. There's some other cool apps too.

Last edited:
The AppleTV is $150. Your TV was multiple thousands on release. I'd argue that people who didn't spend thousands of dollars got a better deal. Also, in home 3D is on its death bed now so no point in bragging about that.

lol, and the Apple TV doesn't have a TV, so how good is that deal ;). It's the late arrival to the tech that I'm pointing out, Applelite, but you go ahead and play the strawman points, enjoy the lockdown. I paid $1797 for the TV in November and when you see a 3D picture as well as it is (even the conversion), it is something to brag about, even though I wasn't "bragging".

lol, and the Apple TV doesn't have a TV, so how good is that deal ;). It's the late arrival to the tech that I'm pointing out, Applelite, but you go ahead and play the strawman points, enjoy the lockdown. I paid $1797 for the TV in November and when you see a 3D picture as well as it is (even the conversion), it is something to brag about, even though I wasn't "bragging".

You compared a TV to a streaming device. If anything Roku has had this functionality for a while but not with Apple content. If you’re going to attempt to insult Apple users make sure you know what is being discussed first.

You compared a TV to a streaming device. If anything Roku has had this functionality for a while but not with Apple content. If you’re going to attempt to insult Apple users make sure you know what is being discussed first.

As I said (and you quoted), the discussion was the tech (good lord why can't people read), that is 4K, HDR10 and DV standards. The tech is even older when I bring up streaming devices (as you did), although DV has been slow to them.

As far as "Apple content", that's the enjoy the lockdown, but then again, you don't read do you.

I don't need to attempt it ;), the irony of you trying to call me out on what it being discussed while you quote the very line I say the discussion is about is hilarious.

The tech has been around a few years but I don't think Apple it too late to the party, this time. 4K is starting to gain good ground in the market and decent HDR quality is finally arriving on TVs that are more affordable to most people.

That is a pretty damn good price for that set.

Let's face it, Apple has rarely been the one to be the first to introduce new technology nor are they regularly following the latest trend (they are more likely to create a trend). What they are known for is taking tech once it has been established and either refining it or improving upon it, closed system and all. Most people probably don't buy Apple products because it is on the bleeding edge of technology. I don't. I buy it mostly for other reasons.

This isn't necessarily an issue unless you are one that always has be ahead of the curve, even if there may be little to no foundation to fully take adavantage of it right away. Now with the AppleTV, this becomes even more obvious, especially with how quickly the growth to mainstream 4K has become. For one, with them relying mostly on a closed environment, the AppleTV isn't going to stray to far ahead of their own iTunes library. While Netflix, YouTube, etc. are already offering 4K, iTunes is not. Apple most likely feels that they need to first upgrade the iTunes infrastructure before they will even bother upgrading the AppleTV, even though the TVs and other streaming services are ready for 4K.

Even then, Apple sometimes misses the mark or doesn't integrate established tech into their products. For example, I have the AppleTV 4th gen. When it was released, 3D was pretty well established and TVs offering 1080p24 for movies was pretty common. Yet, the AppleTV offers neither of these. The 3D is a little more undestandable as to why they didn't make it capable since the iTunes library doesn't offer any 3D. But the 1080p24 output? They should have offered at least that. I believe movies in the iTunes library are encoded native to how the movie was recorded (so 24fps for most theater movies). Here's hoping their next AppleTV offers 24fps output.

Meanwhile, I am still waiting patiently for an Amazon Prime Video app and a VUDU app for my AppleTV. They are the only two things keeping me from accessing my whole library from a single device. One should be available soon, but I still have not heard anything about VUDU.

Back