4K 60Hz 4:4:4 HDMI 2.0 TV Database

This might be a stupid idea, but I made a video of my issue. I'm still getting the exact same results as what I had when I had the 780's. I hope the video explains it well enough. I also tried the trick where I turn off the PC and TV, disconnect the HDMI, turn on the TV, enable UHD Deep Color, and THEN connect the PC to the TV. The TV still shows no signal when I do this. However, if I immediately turn off UHD Deep Color, then I'll get my signal back, but not at full color.

So far, I have yet to see the benefits of HDMI 2.0 here, which is 90% of why I bought the 980's in the first place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLVnFHk0Ktw&feature=youtu.be

I could be wrong but I heard that you need to have the device, in this case your PC, UNPLUGGED first while you turn UHD color on. You can't have something plugged into HDMI 3 while you are switching UHD color on or it gets screwy. Give it a shot.

If I have nothing plugged in to HDMI 3 (before I had it unplugged at the PC, now I tried it unplugged at the TV), the UHD Deep Color option is greyed out and turned off. It's like it needs to see something in order to give the option of turning UHD Deep Color on.

To my understanding.... I need UHD Deep Color on in order to get my full colors at 60hz, right?

When I boot up my PC when used into a HDMI 3 port, will not show the POST screen nor the BIOS but will receive signal once its booted into Windows and my LG TV will show some stupid message saying my port doesn't support this mode under UHD colour. However, this problem doesn't exist when plugged into a HDMI port that only uses 4:2:0 which is kinda odd.

Dont use deep color.
Tell your PC to use 32bit colour (which is 24bit).

Deep Color is for 30bit to 48bit colour media.
If you dont have any or want to make any, you dont need to use it.

Dont use deep color.
Tell your PC to use 32bit colour (which is 24bit).

Deep Color is for 30bit to 48bit colour media.
If you dont have any or want to make any, you dont need to use it.

I've only got a 32-bit option, even if I create a custom nvidia profile.

This might be a stupid idea, but I made a video of my issue. I'm still getting the exact same results as what I had when I had the 780's. I hope the video explains it well enough. I also tried the trick where I turn off the PC and TV, disconnect the HDMI, turn on the TV, enable UHD Deep Color, and THEN connect the PC to the TV. The TV still shows no signal when I do this. However, if I immediately turn off UHD Deep Color, then I'll get my signal back, but not at full color.

So far, I have yet to see the benefits of HDMI 2.0 here, which is 90% of why I bought the 980's in the first place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLVnFHk0Ktw&feature=youtu.be

Have you tried a different hdmi cable? One thing I discovered is that 4k 4:4:4 60hz is very picky and demanding on the cable. I had to try a couple cables to find one that would work stably.

24bit colour is full colour.
Thats why Deep Color is named differently, its not the same as full colour.

I didnt check the video soz.
It sounds like its using 4:2:0 colour instead of 4:4:4.
You may be using an HDMI 1.3/1.4 cable or a faulty HDMI 2.0 cable.
Others have suggested to try another HDMI 2.0 cable.

I have read up a bit on enabling 4K60 on your TV and someone reported they "did" need to enable deep color for it to work on HDMI 2.0 (and rename the input to PC).
http://atforums.mobi/msg.php?threadid=2402504&catid=8&rnum=21
So if it is your cable causing the current problem and you get one that works ok, you may need to enable deep color (against my earlier comment) to get 4K60 4:4:4 working.

i had the lg 49ub8500 for a week and it does work at 4k 60hz 4:4:4 with my single evga 980 gtx. unfortunately i couldnt put up with the scan lines which some ppl attributed to the passive 3d on the nvidia forums. i was able to read the blue red and magenta line just fine at 100 percent zoom while i was not able to do the same with my samsung 55hu7200.

if i remember correctly all i did was enable uhd deep color and went into the nvidia settings and picked 4k at 60hz with 4:4:4 and it worked fine. perhaps you can test it out with just one video card or get another hdmi cable as the cable does actually make a difference.

I'll be honest, I've got a 50ft HDMI 2.0 cable from amazon running from one room to the other (so I can keep my PC at my desk, and still connect it to my TV). I suppose I'll borrow an HDMI 2.0 cable (are they identical to HDMI 1.4?) and move my PC to the living room to see if it works.

From the link you mentioned, Nenu:

Anothr thing worth metioning is 4k120 takes an incredible amount of bandwidth. 4k60 at 4:4:4 is already limited to roughly 15 foot cable runs. 4k120 may require active cables for once, which will be pricey.

It's worth a shot anyway. Not sure how the length of a cable matters on a digital signal though...

The longer the cable the lower the bandwidth it can support.
(for the same materials, quality and methods used in its construction)

There is no difference in an HDMI "2.0" cable and your typical high speed one. They are both 18Gbps.

Having a 50ft one is likely the issue. I've seen people not get 4:4:4 using 25ft.

First impression of the Samsung HU6950.
4:4:4 issue is definitely a firmware bug. When in the UHD Color menu it even states that it is for 60P/50P 4:4:4. However the issue is as soon as its enabled and PC set to 60Hz, it disables PC mode.

Colored text seems to be the only difference I can see at 4k 60Hz 4:2:0 vs 30Hz 4:4:4. I swapped back and forth in games and saw no difference after setting all the display settings equally (30Hz enables PC mode).

The TV itself is excellent. I have an LG 32LN5300 and 39LN5300 for playing games on. I have them calibrated, and they are incredibly washed out and dull compared to the Sammy. I've also been through many Samsung and Panasonic plasmas. This TV has the clearest and best white I've ever seen, and great vibrant colors without being too over saturated. Blacks are excellent for an LCD, and fairly close to plasma. Its very uniform, and while its edge lit, there is essentially no light bleed. Bottom corners have about a quarter inch of slight glow only noticeable on black bars when less then two feet away.

Motion is a little blurrier then the LGs but not an issue for me personally. Input lag seems fine as well.

Add LGUB9500 to the list. Running an Evga GTX980 and about a 15' HDMI cable. 4k 60hz 4:4:4 setup perfectly on one try. It is GLORIOUS!

Moved my PC into my living room this morning and tried a shorter HDMI cable, and it is in fact working in full 4:4:4 color mode, 4096 x 2160 @ 60hz. It's what it should feel like now, snappiness and the color is like night and day.

Assetto Corsa is crashing on me when I start it up now, so I'm still getting the games figured out, but I got the color going which makes me feel a little better. Except now I'm gonna have to carry my PC into my living room every time I want to play my racing sim :-/

Got Assetto Corsa working, was an issue with one of my modded tracks.

Hot damn does it look nice :eek:

I made a desperate attempt and ordered 2 more 50ft HDMI cables, in hopes that one will work with full color. Moving my PC into the living room every time I want to play my racing sims isn't really an option...

The Sony XBR 65X850B would also appear to be pushing 4k/60/4:4:4 properly. 60Hz is being reported and the color text looks perfectly legible.

It's my understanding that previous "4K color tests" with this TV failed, but that was because they were performed by TV enthusiasts rather than by PC enthusiasts who knew that nothing before the 970/980 was doing actual HDMI 2.0 in full colorspace at 60Hz anyway. I was afraid to look after putting everything together, honestly, based on what I'd read in forums, but was pleasantly surprised. There have been multiple firmware updates (that I can't find any documentation on) so it's possible one of those was a fix as well.

If it matters, I am using a 7-foot HDMI cable rated for in-wall installation (not that a 7-foot cable this hard to bend would run very far in a wall!) I purposely have the new HTPC living about as close to the rear of the TV as physically possible. My last 1080p/60Hz HDMI run was 35ish feet and only the third, most ridiculously fat and unbendable HDMI cable ended up giving a solid connection at that distance. Learned my lesson.

Last edited:
Very interesting, I'm curious how the Panasonic, Samsung, and LG panels compare to the 10-bit BenQ and similar quality-wise. The performance gap seems to be narrowing now that engineers are getting the kinks out of 4k 60hz.

The Sony XBR 65X850B would also appear to be pushing 4k/60/4:4:4 properly. 60Hz is being reported and the color text looks perfectly legible.

It's my understanding that previous "4K color tests" with this TV failed, but that was because they were performed by TV enthusiasts rather than by PC enthusiasts who knew that nothing before the 970/980 was doing actual HDMI 2.0 in full colorspace at 60Hz anyway. I was afraid to look after putting everything together, honestly, based on what I'd read in forums, but was pleasantly surprised. There have been multiple firmware updates (that I can't find any documentation on) so it's possible one of those was a fix as well.

If it matters, I am using a 7-foot HDMI cable rated for in-wall installation (not that a 7-foot cable this hard to bend would run very far in a wall!) I purposely have the new HTPC living about as close to the rear of the TV as physically possible. My last 1080p/60Hz HDMI run was 35ish feet and only the third, most ridiculously fat and unbendable HDMI cable ended up giving a solid connection at that distance. Learned my lesson.

I had actually been waiting for HDMI 2.0 cards to come out but since a few months ago I could not hold out any longer on buying a new card for my new system so I went with the GTX 780 Ti. It is nice to hear that the 65X850B is working in the full color specs for the 900 series. I have a 55X850B and I hope that the results will be the same as yours. As for upgrading my card, I feel like I can hold off until next year where hopefully they'll come out with the 20nm or lower cards.

One of the 2 50ft HDMI cables that I got is rated for in-wall insulation. Wonder if that will make a difference or not.

Thought I read that TV has HDCP 2.2?
Is font scaling in windows at 100%?

Are there any 1080p TV with HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2? I don't see a point in buying a 4K TV for the forseeable future. 4K content downscale to 1080p is going to look very good. I want to buy a 1080p TV that will be compatible with the 4K Blu-Ray discs that will be released next year.

Are there any 1080p TV with HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2? I don't see a point in buying a 4K TV for the forseeable future. 4K content downscale to 1080p is going to look very good. I want to buy a 1080p TV that will be compatible with the 4K Blu-Ray discs that will be released next year.

The Vizio P Series.

P series is 4K and not 1080p. I'm looking for a native 1080p TV with HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2.

Looking for a 1080p TV in 2014????

burned_man.jpg

So according to this, LG sets are not outputting 4:4:4 but 4:2:2 rather, anyone confirm?

https://forums.geforce.com/default/...ners-your-tvs-are-not-doing-4-4-4-at-4k-60hz/

This is the test BG he used - http://i3.minus.com/ibyJcwdIniHUEs.png
When set to PC mode using HDMI 3, it is 4:4:4.
Looking for a 1080p TV in 2014????

After trying it out, I see no reason for it unless its a monitor, or a projector. Finally picked up DVE and after re-calibrating all the sets in this room, the differences are all very minor and come down to contrast and color accuracy.

There's no point buying a 4K TV when there's so little 4K content to watch. I don't want to watch 1080p content upscaled to 4K.

I think I will wait until next year:

4K Blu-ray Confirmed, Coming in Late 2015

Blu-ray Disc4K Blu-ray is officially on the way. According to Victor Matsuda, Chairman of the Blu-ray Disc Association Global Promotions Committee, the BDA expects the specs for 4K Blu-ray to be finalized in the first half of 2015, paving the way for commercial availability by the end of the year. This means we can expect to see actual 4K Blu-ray movies and players available in stores by Christmas next year.

Apart from the jump to 4K resolution (3840 × 2160p) we can also expect 4K Blu-ray to support higher frame rates (up to 60fps), an expanded color gamut along with high dynamic range (HDR), as well as HEVC/H.265 encoding to compress 4K movies more efficiently and allow for higher bit rates. The group is currently exploring the possibility of increasing the disc capacity to 66GB or 100GB.

The news was confirmed by representatives on the show floor at IFA 2014 in Berlin, which opened its doors to visitors today.

Thinking about getting a 4k TV to use on my computer as a high resolution display, as well as just as a TV as well.

Would buying a lg UB8500 that can display in 4:4:4 be a good color accurate display that is also somewhat future proofed? (IE something better won't come along really soon after?) or should I wait for the next step of the tech as thing is kind of the first gen?

Thinking about getting a 4k TV to use on my computer as a high resolution display, as well as just as a TV as well.

Would buying a lg UB8500 that can display in 4:4:4 be a good color accurate display that is also somewhat future proofed? (IE something better won't come along really soon after?) or should I wait for the next step of the tech as thing is kind of the first gen?

Personally I would wait and evaluate what is available in 4K that you want. Also, the LG doesn't have that great of contrast, so picture quality isn't great for a TV. If you are looking for just a monitor though, then its the best 4K option at the moment if you don't notice the lines going through it.

Back