4K 60Hz 4:4:4 HDMI 2.0 TV Database

I have had the 55ub8500 for just over a month thus far and my impressions overall have been very positive. I play skyrim 4k on it quite often with lots of mods and it runs beautifully. Under HDMI settings, you can change the input type and once you set it to PC, it turns off all the upscaling features which reduces input lag dramatically to normal LCD levels. If you are hooking up a PC, then you should turn it off anyway in order to get full 4:4:4.

http://www.displaylag.com/display-database/

For the UB8500 they show 64ms, but doesn't indicate that it was tested in PC mode.

Would you be willing to take video of your mouse movement in relation to the cursor/ or game movement on screen? Kind of like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5AEhFxVWvA

Not sure if it supports Netflix (I think it does), but the LG 49UB8500 (48.5" diagonal) supports native UHD Amazon Prime Streaming, and also supports all of the other specs you quoted. I'm loving mine. I've got it wall mounted low and tilted and it's perfect as a monitor.

I can confirm it does both Netflix 4k and 4k @ 60hz 4:4:4.

It has a minor firmware bug that turns on some sharpening/processing when the power is cycled but the effect is subtle and easily remedied. Most won't notice it unless they have exceptional vision at a very close viewing distance.

I ordered a Peerless PLT-BLK stand to give myself some backwards tilt (only 5 degrees, but it's better than vertical) I think with that it will be just about ideal.

Viper GTS

If I understand correctly from the first post, any LG model UB8600 or higher supports 4:4:4 at 60hz. If so, that means the UB9800 models are ok, right? Specifically, I'm looking at the LG 84UB9800.

I also need to find a AV Receiver than can pass 4:4:4, but I'll probably have to head over to avsforum to begin that quest. :)

Thanks!

Is there any word on rather we will see more 4k TVs with DisplayPort inputs this year? That Panasonic is tempting me... but I'm not sure rather I should pull the trigger on it yet or not.

I just got a Sony XBR65X850B last week and have had good experiences thus far. While I don't have the horsepower to many games at 4K/60fps, it does work in some games like Dark Souls 2 and Street Fighter x Tekken.
I'm running it through a Sony STR-DN850.

Is there any word on rather we will see more 4k TVs with DisplayPort inputs this year? That Panasonic is tempting me... but I'm not sure rather I should pull the trigger on it yet or not.

I think only Panasonic still (not confirmed yet actually but I'd be surprised if they drop DP).

I think only Panasonic still (not confirmed yet actually but I'd be surprised if they drop DP).

Thanks. That's kind of disappointing to hear... sooooooooo many lower cost 4k TVs would become viable options if they would just include DP 1.2. It really boggles my mind why this isn't a thing. Don't they have to pay licensing fees for HDMI whereas DP is free?

My wallet is crying from the prospect of a worthy 4k TV and a pair of GM200/Fiji cards to power it and I was hoping for a good ~$1000 option this year on the TV end of things. Looks like my budget better make its way closer to $2k on the TV.

Thanks. That's kind of disappointing to hear... sooooooooo many lower cost 4k TVs would become viable options if they would just include DP 1.2. It really boggles my mind why this isn't a thing. Don't they have to pay licensing fees for HDMI whereas DP is free?

My wallet is crying from the prospect of a worthy 4k TV and a pair of GM200/Fiji cards to power it and I was hoping for a good ~$1000 option this year on the TV end of things. Looks like my budget better make its way closer to $2k on the TV.

Reports are starting to show up of people getting 60hz 4:4:4 chroma on Samsung's 2015 4k TVs, well at least the JU7500. If the lower tier JU6700 can also do 4:4:4 then there's your answer for a 4k tv around the ~$1000 price point that can be used as a monitor. I myself am waiting to see if the JU6700 can do 4:4:4 with reasonable input lag.

They're already going to pay the HDMI fee anyway, it's not like they're going to include NO HDMI PORTS, since only PCs will support DisplayPort outputs right now. The licensing fee is per-device, not per-port:

http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/terms.aspx

As for why it's not on cheaper TVs: YOU STILL HAVE TO INCLUDE HDMI PORTS or your competitors will win sales. Also, adding a completely different high-speed interface that has to be separately validated from the already numerous HDMI ports adds additional test costs.

Compared to the cost of engineering and testing two separate sets of 20+ Gbps interfaces, the small cost to license HDMI is lost in the noise. Thus, you will only ever find DisplayPort on premium sets where they can justify the cost of entry.

I know HDMI 2.0 is a disappointment, but whining won't change the fact that they have a lock-down on the TV world.

I bought this TV at Costco and it supports 4K 60hz 4:4:4 chroma. I tested with 970 nvidia.

Couple of questions based on what I read:
- Do I need "special" HDMI cables?
- Do I need a GTX 970 and above? (I have a 680 GTX and a R9 290X)
- The TV I bought is a Samsung UE55HU8500 (UK Model).

This is off course to get 60Hz/4K/4:4:4.

Hi guys, I'm interested purchasing a lg 49ub820v to use 99% desktop.

Can this TV supports color range 4:4:4 in hdmi 2.0 4K resolution?

thanks

You don't need special HDMI cables, but you do need newer ones that are typically called "High Speed" HDMI cables. Pretty much any newer HDMI cable will be, but if you're rockin' old cables from the mid 2000's, you'll need newer ones. Luckily they aren't very expensive anymore. I bought a 9 foot one from Microcenter for $14 and I know Amazon has 'em even cheaper.

Worth noting - if you're using an A/V receiver, you'll need one that can also do HDMI 2.0...at least if you plan on using HDMI audio. A back-up plan is to use your TV's audio return channel, but those can be finicky.

Then there's simply the issue of having the horsepower to actually play games at 4K. I can play games like Street Fighter 4, Dark Souls 2, and some "last-gen" games, but don't expect to get 60fps out of a game like Far Cry 4 or Dying Light without multiple 980's.

GTX 960 or higher. no other current cards have HDMI 2.0

Then there's simply the issue of having the horsepower to actually play games at 4K. I can play games like Street Fighter 4, Dark Souls 2, and some "last-gen" games, but don't expect to get 60fps out of a game like Far Cry 4 or Dying Light without multiple 980's.

Thanks for the useful info.

Real pain in the ass though.

I could buy a GTX 960 for £160 to use only for Windows Desktop purposes, which of course is overkill.

Or I could SLI GTX 980 for £900 for gaming and desktop purposes, which is just a bit underpowered.

I will probably wait for Next Gen AMD (R9 390X?) before gaming in 4K.

Right this instant, I'd say 4K just isn't ready for prime time in most instances. It's too much destop real estate for most users so you're either going to need a magnifying glass or to use the Windows "zoom" function to make everything 75-100% larger. That almost defeats the purpose.
For gaming, you're stuck either playing older games, paying for a 980SLI setup and still not always getting 60fps.

I got one because I needed a new TV, but I leave mine in 1080p mode most of the time. I'd like to think that the next full-gen of video cards will be more suited for everyday 4K gaming.

Right this instant, I'd say 4K just isn't ready for prime time in most instances. It's too much destop real estate for most users so you're either going to need a magnifying glass or to use the Windows "zoom" function to make everything 75-100% larger. That almost defeats the purpose.

Magnifying glass?

4K= 4x1080p screens

Since the TV is 55", that is like an Eyefinity setup of 4x27" 1080p monitors.

Or am I looking at this wrong?

Oh, and the nice part is no bezels off course ;-)

Magnifying glass?

4K= 4x1080p screens

You're correct.

Just like the 40" 4k that I have is like 4x 20" 1080p screens.

Everything above 40" will have a PPI that is no higher than a 1440p 27" monitor, which is very popular.

Magnifying glass?

4K= 4x1080p screens

When you boost the resolution in Windows, the default UI elements don't scale unless you tell them to. They're still the same size as they would be in 1080p mode, only you have a lot more real estate and pixels. The display magnifier tool alleviates this and most people have it on without even realizing it - but if you don't, 4K fonts are tiny. I have a 65" TV and can barely read anything from 7-8 feet away. Even when you do use the magnifier, not everything works with it. Origin definitely doesn't, so reading the menus is no fun.

Don't wanna sit here and read the whole thread so not sure if this is mentioned.

Panasonic AX800 - http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/tx-50ax802b-201405193778.htm

The Panasonic AX802/ AX800 is a gamer’s dream, boasting not only the lowest input lag among the 2014 batch of 4K TVs (our Leo Bodnar tester registered a reading of 37ms with [Game Mode] enabled), but also full 4:4:4 chroma reproduction up to 3840×2160 resolution at 60Hz either through the DisplayPort or HDMI 4 input.

Another praiseworthy feature that Panasonic has introduced since last year is designating [Game Mode] as an on/off setting which can be applied to every picture preset, rather than segregating it as a separate picture mode which is typically not calibration-friendly. Accurate images and suitably fast gaming responsiveness are both possible simultaneously on the TX-50AX802.

Even without engaging [Game Mode], input lag in calibrated [Professional1] mode was 59ms as measured using Leo Bodnar’s device, which is significantly lower than the 100ms+ figures posted by other brands’ non-[Game] modes.

Anyone using an OLED TV as a monitor? Thinking about the new 55" 4K LG.

Some on AVS say there will be issues with burn in and other say no.

At this point oled is too new to know for sure. The bad signs of it is the fact there are already reports of burn in on some of them. If going oled, I'd at least get a 2015 model, and get it from somewhere with a warranty service that covers burn in. I know from experience hhgregg does not, and best buy does.

I should get my EC9300 (1080p OLED) by next week. I'm not going to let it sit at a desktop screen but I will be doing some gaming on it. Will report back if I see any burn in -- most of the incidents I've heard about only involved temporary IR though.

At this point oled is too new to know for sure. The bad signs of it is the fact there are already reports of burn in on some of them. If going oled, I'd at least get a 2015 model, and get it from somewhere with a warranty service that covers burn in. I know from experience hhgregg does not, and best buy does.

Yes, I plan on getting the new 55" LG 4K curved model.

Virtually all reports I have read of "permanent" type IR on OLED have been from clear abuse. Such as vivid image settings showing a menu at mall displays etc. I think being aware of the screens limitations during PC gaming there shouldn't be too many problems.

I wasn't aware BestBuy offered IR warranties. Do you know how long they can be purchased for?

I know this thread is primarily for 4k@60hz and utilizing 4:4:4 but I was wondering if anyone was also able to get any of the sets talked about here to output a 120hz signal? I know that HDMI 2.0 was made for 4k@60hz and 1080@120hz so I was wondering if anyone had any success with the 120hz to use as a PC display.

Thanks!

There are no native 120 Hz 4K displays in existence. It would require two DP 1.2 inputs or a DP 1.3 input.

There are no native 120 Hz 4K displays in existence. It would require two DP 1.2 inputs or a DP 1.3 input.

Thank you for the reply and additional information. If I'm interested in 1080p@120hz are you saying that the display would have to also support 4k at 120hz?

I was hoping one existed that could do 4k@60hz and 1080p@120hz other than the Vizio P series because I had problems with it.

Last edited:
There are plenty of computer monitors that input and display a 1080p 120 Hz signal. I know of no TV sets that do.

Any TV set that claims greater than 60 Hz is just using frame interpolation to get the higher "display" Hz. This is usually frowned upon by computer users due to the significant input lag introduced.

There are plenty of computer monitors that input and display a 1080p 120 Hz signal. I know of no TV sets that do.

Any TV set that claims greater than 60 Hz is just using frame interpolation to get the higher "display" Hz. This is usually frowned upon by computer users due to the significant input lag introduced.

I have my doubts as well with the current crop, but...
Previously, TVs did not have the connection bandwidth to entertain the idea, they only had HDMI 1.x
120Hz tech has been out a long time and will become standard if it is easy to achieve and doesnt cost.
In past years we have seen 60Hz TVs and monitors that can be overclocked to much higher than 60Hz, some to 120Hz ish so the 120Hz chain of parts are already in 60Hz displays.

I'm waiting for test results on this :)

Virtually all reports I have read of "permanent" type IR on OLED have been from clear abuse. Such as vivid image settings showing a menu at mall displays etc. I think being aware of the screens limitations during PC gaming there shouldn't be too many problems.

I wasn't aware BestBuy offered IR warranties. Do you know how long they can be purchased for?
2 and 5 years.
Thank you for the reply and additional information. If I'm interested in 1080p@120hz are you saying that the display would have to also support 4k at 120hz?

I was hoping one existed that could do 4k@60hz and 1080p@120hz other than the Vizio P series because I had problems with it.

The Vizio P series does do 120Hz/1080P and even 1440P when connected to a PC.

What do you think about this 4K tv, as a pc monitor ?
Samsung UE48HU7500
http://www.whathifi.com/samsung/ue48hu7500/specs

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/ue48hu7500-201408103872.htm

I have now the BenQ BL3200PT, which is 32 inch / 1440p

32 inch 1440p - 91.79 ppi

48 inch 4K - 91.79 ppi

Samsung UE48HU7500 inputlag - 41ms in [PC] mode
That's pretty bad ?!

If the ppi is the same for both, 32 inch 1440p and 48 inch 4K, that means, fonts, letters, etc, are the same size ?

http://postimg.org/image/9t65m7o45/

I have yet to see any trace of IR/burn-in on my EC9300. Played a lot of Bloodborne yesterday, for almost 3 hours straight.

I wonder if raising the OLED light setting increases susceptibility to IR though. That said, I've got mine on 60% and it's already plenty bright.

I was looking at purchasing that same 55" 4K LG for my own setup (specifically, the 55EG9600 4K OLED that just released), but I've been sitting back patiently while the brave AVSForum guys purchase first. Still no full review posted there yet (should be one coming up this week or next), but from early impressions the main problem seems to be its judder issues right now.

I'm still keen on purchasing OLED for my next upgrade if not only to support what is quickly becoming the new DLP, LaserVue or Plasma :-/... but for now it seems like a hefty price to pay for something that doesn't play movies or sub-60FPS content without horribly distracting judder (or the even-worse soap opera effect by turning motion smoothing on, which seems to be the only quick fix for now -_-).

The Vizio P series does do 120Hz/1080P and even 1440P when connected to a PC.

Ah interesting, the new 4K series. Although I wouldn't really be interested in playing at those resolutions. 1080p looks bad enough on a 24" monitor let alone a large TV. And 1440p isn't whole divisible into 2160p, so that can't look good.

Looks like all Vizio M series 2015 TVs 43" and up are 4K with full array LED local dimming. Hopefully they have 4:4:4 60Hz and 1080P/120Hz too. MSRP $599.

Last edited:
Back