4K 60Hz 4:4:4 HDMI 2.0 TV Database

lol, 50" would be the absolute minimum 4K screen I would go for. I'm waiting for a projector unless I find a blinding deal on a good oled.

Are you talking about usage as monitor or HomeTheater/TV?

Viewing scenarios, ergonomy requirements and psychology aspects for these cases are different.

Are you talking about usage as monitor or HomeTheater/TV?

Viewing scenarios, ergonomy requirements and psychology aspects for these cases are different.

Exactly. Just bought the 49 inch LG and its on the big side for a pc display, but I'm holding out for something in the 70-80" range to replace my 60" Kuro Elite with.

thinking more about it 4k is a huge win for PC gamers. Next year when 1080p slowly gets replaced by endless 4k panels there is bound to be dimonds in the rough that can do sub 30ms input lag and 4:4:4 1:1 over HDMi 2.0

when you consider the resolution you could feasible have a 48" screen as a monitor and still have the exact same PPI as a 24" 1080p monitor. So not exactly blazingly crisp but at a slightly further distance than the 24" ( say another 20cm - 30cm ) your still getting an infocus screen without the need for scaling at something approaching the PPI of a 23" 1080p monitor .. but spread across your entire desk :)

the more screens come out the more manufacturers will have to differenciate themselves in the market and we should see decent VA panels with quantum dot colour making screens close to OLED in look. Also typically TV's have better panels and more vibrant contrasted colours than cheap monitors so there is another win there.

another 6 months is all its going to take

Last edited:
Bump. Anyone following the threads on the GeForce forums for the Samsung panels? Looks like they might be able to do 4:4:4@60hz with some sort of aftermarket Samsung product.

All you guys that ended up with 4:2:0 at 60hz ...Is it really that noticeable for daily use?

yes you wouldn't be able to use for software or daily desktop use really.

for example

This is 4:2:0

aMKa0AX.jpg

and this is 4:4:4

bvF2MpO.jpg

Excellent example jemmy. It looks like that for me on my Benq W5000 projector - it does not support 4:4:4 at 1080p, even when using a PC. :(

In Brazil Samsung sells a 40" HU7000 model, but i simply do not trust the reporst of no frame skipping and true 4:4:4@60Hz@4k under GTX 970/980.

Does any other country has a 40" HU700 model?

Wow, so still only the one LG. Just revisiting this thread after a couple months and was hoping for more options. I think I'll hold off until we start (hopefully) seeing some more capable models in 2015.

In Brazil Samsung sells a 40" HU7000 model, but i simply do not trust the reporst of no frame skipping and true 4:4:4@60Hz@4k under GTX 970/980.

this is a real problem. I have seen youtube videos that litterally have the TV's infront of them and they either quote a website that claims it can do 4:4:4 or they just simply state it can without any proof. Its near impossible to tell unless a forum member is brave enough to buy one, have it shipped and test it with the expectation that it does and that the lag is also equally low enough.

Wow, so still only the one LG. Just revisiting this thread after a couple months and was hoping for more options. I think I'll hold off until we start (hopefully) seeing some more capable models in 2015.

Its a ridiculous situation. 10 years ago when HD screens were out there were none that could do 4:4:4 with a 1 to 1 pixel mapped input, then throughout countless thousands of revisions from many manufacturers there have been less than a handful that can manage low input lag & 4:4:4.

Im starting to think its a conspiracy to control the market and separate TV from Monitor sales it cant be that hard to let the panel do the job it was designed to do.

after all with 4k you could in theory if a low input lag + 4:4:4 TV existed pick a 48" - 50" VA up and use as a monitor with about the same PPI as a 24" 1080p monitor for 1/4 of the price of some fancy 32" IPS 4k monitor and probably have a wider range of inputs and features + sound capability.

96 - 100dpi is perfect for what most people need day to day without scaling and having the extra real estate. Even a 40" is too small for this given seating at 4k, 48" - 50" should be ideal to be used as a monitor.

So yes im really starting to see this as an intentional ploy to separate two markets. After all why would you buy a 1440p monitor @ 27" when you could buy a simular priced 40"-50" TV from the same manufacturer at 4k and have the same/simular PPI ? One good thing though is that cheap asian imports like Seiki are putting preassure on the other manufacturers to include PC centric features.

I have this-LGUB9500 and two v980s and when I do the 4-4-4 test I get the 444 colored dark than the purple background and the 4-2-2 colored lighter--does this mean I am getting 4-2-2 rather than 4-4-4?
ibyJcwdIniHUEs.png

Hi by the way, Just went Ultra HD and I am really ignorant about this 4-4-4 thing and how important it is. Like I said, I see both numbers so I got no clue what it means. I believe I saw the same yesterday with a 7970 card installed at 30HZ

yea, I played around a bit and put the resolution up to full 4K and the 4-4-4 number disappeared. What I don't get is why pppl are showing pics where you can only see the 4-4-4 number and not the 4-2-2 number- I need some education, here.

yea, I played around a bit and put the resolution up to full 4K and the 4-4-4 number disappeared. What I don't get is why pppl are showing pics where you can only see the 4-4-4 number and not the 4-2-2 number- I need some education, here.
judging by my situation here at work, since I only could hardly tell the 4-2-2 on my good monitor, that probably means your monitor is 4-4-4. On my other so-so monitor, I see 4-2-2 well, so I'm assuming that's not 4-4-4...

I have this-LGUB9500 and two v980s and when I do the 4-4-4 test I get the 444 colored dark than the purple background and the 4-2-2 colored lighter--does this mean I am getting 4-2-2 rather than 4-4-4?
ibyJcwdIniHUEs.png

First, you need to plug your HDMI port to HDMI 3 to get 4:4:4 at 60Hz. And also, you need to go into the HDMI settings which is in the menu and set it to "PC" to fully enable 4:4:4, I did that, and it works perfectly.

I really don't see why changing the label I use with HDMI 3 makes any difference, didn't for me

Also, I have read this whole discussion and am still unclear what do you get extra by having 4-4-4 connection?

in germany we have the HU6900. Which seems to be same model. It has also new Firmware 1026.1 since 30.12.
On amazon.de one guy is writing he has full 4:4:4: @60hz with GTX980.
His post is from 3.1.2015

I asked him for a confirmation with the subsample test picture and asked for his firmware. but no response yet.

As I had this TV until 27.12 with firmware 1025 connected to GTX970 (Tested with Zotac and Asus) and NO 4:4:4 chroma. I sent this TV back... But now I have a little bit hope that Samsung fixed it.... Can somebody test / confirm with new firmware ?

Also, I have read this whole discussion and am still unclear what do you get extra by having 4-4-4 connection?

Having full 4:4:4 chroma is one of the basic prerequisites you need in order to comfortably use a TV as a substitute PC monitor. Otherwise, for desktop work, text looks funny (and in my case, quickly leads to eyestrain and headaches).

Since TVs tend to be much cheaper than monitors on a per-inch basis, some of us start to wonder whether the ongoing lack of 4:4:4 chroma support on TVs is a deliberate move by the manufacturers so that we keep buying monitors. No comment...

EDIT: This thread is pretty useful to get you started: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...official-4-4-4-chroma-subsampling-thread.html

from my point of view, HDMI 2.0 already stretches the limits of cheap HDMI cables. even inside hdmi 1.4 spec, my seiki 39" does not work with most HDMI cables. i would even say that 24 AWG is not overkill when dealing with HDMI 2.0 for lenghts above 10 feet.

Does anyone have a CES or general 2015 summary of which 50" or so monitor to get?

I don't game much, and the affordable hdmi 2 geforce 960 solution is coming out soon so the time looks ripe to buy. I recall last year the LG's were the ones to get but they had some re-sync issue on waking from sleep.

Thanks.

edit: also, do any of these current models have issues with the corners color shifting? I have a 37" westinghouse which seems ok, but recall with a 42" LG IPS I bought (and returned) a while ago the corners had some uncomfortable color problem when sitting close. I suspect that is only going to be a bigger concern with ever larger screens angles at same desk-distance with big 4k's.

Last edited:
Does anyone have a CES or general 2015 summary of which 50" or so monitor to get?

I don't game much, and the affordable hdmi 2 geforce 960 solution is coming out soon so the time looks ripe to buy. I recall last year the LG's were the ones to get but they had some re-sync issue on waking from sleep.

Thanks.

edit: also, do any of these current models have issues with the corners color shifting? I have a 37" westinghouse which seems ok, but recall with a 42" LG IPS I bought (and returned) a while ago the corners had some uncomfortable color problem when sitting close. I suspect that is only going to be a bigger concern with ever larger screens angles at same desk-distance with big 4k's.

The new models aren't out yet so no one really knows. I would say the 2015 Sony's are out, because they still don't support 4:4:4/4K/60Hz. Wait until people actually test these new sets.

I rather use a TV as a monitor because a big monitor is usually more expensive and most big size monitors are around 30-40" which is to small for me. And some 1600p are still expensive, like $1500 or more, and I'm not talking about those cheap Korean monitors where you can buy online.

Bought my LG 55" UHD TV which does 4:4:4 at 60Hz for $1900 back then and happy with it.

Like I said earlier in the thread, I have an LG 55UB8500 4K Smart TV and have come to really like this late 2014 model.

However, I did come across some info recently about LG 2015 Smart TV models running WebOS 2.0 which strongly suggests that 2014 models won't be eligable for an upgrade:

​LG snubs 2014 TV owners on webOS upgrade

Summary:Owners of LG 2014 webOS TV models will not be able to upgrade to webOS 2.0, which will be made available as part of the company's 2015 TV line up.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/lg-snubs-2014-tv-owners-on-webos-upgrade/

I was just wondering how others with LG Smart TVs feel about this.

I bought my LG 55UB8500 on sale for about ~$1200 and I guess I am a little disappointed to hear this but I take solace in the fact that it still does what I bought it to do. I bought a 55" Samsung 4K Smart TV for ~$899 but eventually returned it and bought the LG. Now I have to wonder how Samsung handles their Smart TV upgrades in contrast. I conversed with LG tech support a month or so ago because I wanted to know if their was going to be an HBO-Go app and ShowTime-Anytime app. I was assured that there would be an HBO-Go app in a few months but now I have to wonder if that Would be for WebOS 2.0 Smart TVs only.

Last edited:
Just bumping this in hopes of getting some of the owners of the LG 8500 and any others for that matter impressions of using their sets ? Still planning on going between the Phillips 40 or BenQ 3201 , but I've seen a pic or two of folks using their LG 4k sets and the colors to somewhat glossy look I like.

I just wondered if there were widespread flickering issues or really bad input lag (I'm not a pro FPS player or anything but don't want something thats really noticeably bad) using these sets for a while now as your monitor.

Just bumping this in hopes of getting some of the owners of the LG 8500 and any others for that matter impressions of using their sets ? Still planning on going between the Phillips 40 or BenQ 3201 , but I've seen a pic or two of folks using their LG 4k sets and the colors to somewhat glossy look I like.

I just wondered if there were widespread flickering issues or really bad input lag (I'm not a pro FPS player or anything but don't want something thats really noticeably bad) using these sets for a while now as your monitor.

I have had the 55ub8500 for just over a month thus far and my impressions overall have been very positive. I play skyrim 4k on it quite often with lots of mods and it runs beautifully. Under HDMI settings, you can change the input type and once you set it to PC, it turns off all the upscaling features which reduces input lag dramatically to normal LCD levels. If you are hooking up a PC, then you should turn it off anyway in order to get full 4:4:4.

As for flickering, there is none if you use a 6-10ft HDMI cable (or the one they provided in the box). I am currently using a 25ft hdmi cable and experience a line of flicker here and there IF I have my main monitor turned on. If I turn off other displays then flicker goes away (maybe more of gpu issue). However I like to note that I never experienced flickering when I used the short HDMI cable to the TV and a long displayport cable to my monitor.

Hope this helps you. Feel free to let me know if you need more info.

I have had the 55ub8500 for just over a month thus far and my impressions overall have been very positive. I play skyrim 4k on it quite often with lots of mods and it runs beautifully. Under HDMI settings, you can change the input type and once you set it to PC, it turns off all the upscaling features which reduces input lag dramatically to normal LCD levels. If you are hooking up a PC, then you should turn it off anyway in order to get full 4:4:4.

As for flickering, there is none if you use a 6-10ft HDMI cable (or the one they provided in the box). I am currently using a 25ft hdmi cable and experience a line of flicker here and there IF I have my main monitor turned on. If I turn off other displays then flicker goes away (maybe more of gpu issue). However I like to note that I never experienced flickering when I used the short HDMI cable to the TV and a long displayport cable to my monitor.

Awesome , (and not awesome as you definitely just threw a wrench into my plans of deciding between the Phillips 40/BenQ32 only :p ) , appreciate the info.

I definitely will have it hooked up by itself , and can do with less than a 10' HDMI cord definitely. Would be 90% for PC games only ,and I do love the look I've seen in pictures from it.

If I'm not mistaken the smallest size that LG makes in the 8500 line is 49" ? I could do with 55 but 49 would work even better.

I own a 55' HU6900, and no 4:4:4, but it does work at 4096x2160 at 60hz at 4:2:2, and does an OK job, was a rather cheap UHD TV anyway, and I needed something of that caliber for my living room, which is why I bought it. Never liked it as much as my Panasonic plasma. Plugged to a reference 980. Giant panel for sitting right in front, might as well put my U3014 back in it's place because I also had to put the Dali speakers to the ground because of this huge thing.

rsz_sam_0493.jpg

Have you or any other LG owners solved the "need to switch inputs when waking from sleep" problem?

I've seen several reports that the display won't wake properly and needs to be switched to some other input then back for it to wake up again.

----

Also, for those considering getting a Samsung, I have bad news. Apparent even for the few models that used to work (meaning they have the more expensive Golf-P chipset) have been switched to cheaper Novatek boards in newer revisions.

In addition none of the cheaper sets, and especially none of the curved sets (which is really nice for a display up close) will support full 4:4:4 @ 60hz. I was really hope to drop some $$ on a nice curved set and it seems it'll be a while if ever before that can happen.

The relevant conversation:
https://forums.geforce.com/default/...rks-but-not-getting-4-4-4-full-rgb-output/71/

The thread continues to some discussion of possibilities for upcoming 2015 models.

Just a little update, I have an LG 55UB8500 and have started to notice a little oddity. On occasion the audio will go out of sync. Audio goes through the first HDMI port and I'm using a GTX 760.

It could be the card, the drivers or the 55UB8500. I'm not really sure but I have plans to change out the video card anyway. Still I should probably go through the settings to see if it will have any effect.

For what it's worth, when the audio goes out of sync it can be corrected by switching to another input or at least I think that corrects it. I usually switch to the Netflix app and play a few seconds of a video and upon returning to HDMI 1 audio is back in sync.

state of thread right now:

Netflix 4k and other streaming services do not work with PC monitors

Most 4K TVs compatible with netflix 4K do not work 4:4:4 4K 60 Hz, so they are not suitable for PC monitor usage.

The few 4K TVs that work correctly as PC monitors and are still capable of Netflix 4k streaming are either:

-too big ( 55+ inches) for use as a PC monitor
-too expensive
-not on sale on some countries.

How many sub-50" 4K TVs are capable of both Netflix 4k and 4:4:4/60Hz?

state of thread right now:

Netflix 4k and other streaming services do not work with PC monitors

Most 4K TVs compatible with netflix 4K do not work 4:4:4 4K 60 Hz, so they are not suitable for PC monitor usage.

The few 4K TVs that work correctly as PC monitors and are still capable of Netflix 4k streaming are either:

-too big ( 55+ inches) for use as a PC monitor
-too expensive
-not on sale on some countries.

How many sub-50" 4K TVs are capable of both Netflix 4k and 4:4:4/60Hz?

Not sure if it supports Netflix (I think it does), but the LG 49UB8500 (48.5" diagonal) supports native UHD Amazon Prime Streaming, and also supports all of the other specs you quoted. I'm loving mine. I've got it wall mounted low and tilted and it's perfect as a monitor.

Back