4K 60Hz 4:4:4 HDMI 2.0 TV Database

Personally I would wait and evaluate what is available in 4K that you want. Also, the LG doesn't have that great of contrast, so picture quality isn't great for a TV. If you are looking for just a monitor though, then its the best 4K option at the moment if you don't notice the lines going through it.

What are those lines?

I am evaluating possibility of using 40" 4K TV as computer monitor. So there is LG with lines and there is Samsung without lines but not so good viewing angle. I think viewing angle is important since when using 40" as computer monitor there is quite
big angle near the edges. LG panels are known to have better viewing angle.

Wo which option is better in the end?

What are those lines?

I am evaluating possibility of using 40" 4K TV as computer monitor. So there is LG with lines and there is Samsung without lines but not so good viewing angle. I think viewing angle is important since when using 40" as computer monitor there is quite
big angle near the edges. LG panels are known to have better viewing angle.

Wo which option is better in the end?
The UB8500 has passive 3D, and some say they see horizontal lines through the screen even in 2D.

The 40" LG does not support 4:4:4. The UB8500 only comes in 49" and larger, and you need that model number or higher to get 4:4:4.

Between the LG and the Samsung, the Samsung would have better uniformity and deeper blacks. Plus the possibility of 4:4:4 being added in a firmware update.

On a side note, I sent the Samsung back since I don't want to spend $900 on a TV just for gaming. Going to wait on 4K to get cheaper, have more content, and do 4:4:4. In the mean time, I wanted an upgrade to my gaming TV, which after going through 4 different sets, I landed on the Samsung UN40H5500. Its a mid price ($480) but high performing set, with excellent contrast (blacks go to .02 with whites nearly 200cd/m2), and great uniformity for an edge lit TV with borders as wide as my pinky nail. Colors out of the box are very nearly accurate, and very little settings are needed to be changed to get everything right. FWIW, it does 4:4:4 at 1080P, and this set only has 28ms of input lag.

Add LGUB9500 to the list. Running an Evga GTX980 and about a 15' HDMI cable. 4k 60hz 4:4:4 setup perfectly on one try. It is GLORIOUS!

Is it the 65 inches? been trying to find a 65 inch that could do 4:4:4 chroma at 60hz for my gtx 970 sli. I havent been able to find anyone with my setup to confirm if it works. LG 65ub9500

Is it the 65 inches? been trying to find a 65 inch that could do 4:4:4 chroma at 60hz for my gtx 970 sli. I havent been able to find anyone with my setup to confirm if it works. LG 65ub9500

Yep, the 65...but I am running a 980gtx...dont know about the HDMI on those 970s

The Sony XBR 65X850B would also appear to be pushing 4k/60/4:4:4 properly. 60Hz is being reported and the color text looks perfectly legible.

It's my understanding that previous "4K color tests" with this TV failed, but that was because they were performed by TV enthusiasts rather than by PC enthusiasts who knew that nothing before the 970/980 was doing actual HDMI 2.0 in full colorspace at 60Hz anyway. I was afraid to look after putting everything together, honestly, based on what I'd read in forums, but was pleasantly surprised. There have been multiple firmware updates (that I can't find any documentation on) so it's possible one of those was a fix as well.

If it matters, I am using a 7-foot HDMI cable rated for in-wall installation (not that a 7-foot cable this hard to bend would run very far in a wall!) I purposely have the new HTPC living about as close to the rear of the TV as physically possible. My last 1080p/60Hz HDMI run was 35ish feet and only the third, most ridiculously fat and unbendable HDMI cable ended up giving a solid connection at that distance. Learned my lesson.

Hey bro can you double confirm that you are running at 4:4:4, coz from what i know all of sony 4k tv are using hdmi 2.0 lite which only supports 4:2:0 at 60hz....even on sony's website specification page the x85 series is stated that way....thanks alot

Looking to pickup the LG 49UB8500, anyone try any gaming with it light/heavy?

Currently sit with my eyes about 2 and a half feet away from my 39" Seiki. That's about all my desk can take. Wonder if I can squeeze the 49" LG in there...

Is it sure that the Samsung 40" 6900 will receive a firmware update to enable 4:4:4?

Is it sure that the Samsung 40" 6900 will receive a firmware update to enable 4:4:4?

Don't count on it. The issue has been known for over a month now and still no fix. Samsung's support is completely clueless and blame the video card.

Don't count on it. The issue has been known for over a month now and still no fix. Samsung's support is completely clueless and blame the video card.

The department that handles updates isn't their support team. This reminds me of the brightness pops their plasmas used to have. Support knew nothing of it, but a few months later an update was released that fixed it.

I would say there is at least a good chance of it since its a feature stated in the manual, and the TV settings.

The department that handles updates isn't their support team. This reminds me of the brightness pops their plasmas used to have. Support knew nothing of it, but a few months later an update was released that fixed it.

I would say there is at least a good chance of it since its a feature stated in the manual, and the TV settings.

Well I know that, but with no public acknowledgment from Samsung on this issue it doesn't feel like it's a high priority for them. May get fixed eventually, but you could be waiting awhile. I think it's wise to just avoid all 4K Samsung TVs for the time being until this is fixed.

And what do you think about the Sony X8505?
Im aiming at the 49" to use it 60% pc (gaming included) 40% Tv.

^^ As far as I know, none of Sony's 4K TV's support 4:4:4 at 4K/60Hz so its better to avoid Sony as well.

The reduced chroma isn't noticable while gaming or watching movies but will look like shit when used on the desktop.

Not that I have one, but CNET seems to have confirmed that the Samsung UN50HU8550 is 4K60p 4:4:4 chroma. Over $1500 with 4 active 3D glasses (what a waste of pixels)

Not that I have one, but CNET seems to have confirmed that the Samsung UN50HU8550 is 4K60p 4:4:4 chroma. Over $1500 with 4 active 3D glasses (what a waste of pixels)

Where did you read that they tested it? It seems like they just took Samsung's word for it...

The 8550 is missing a few of the extras the HU9000's "Cinema Black" option that dims horizontal letterbox bars, the HU8550 does get three levels for local dimming and a UHD HDMI Color mode. Samsung says engaging this setting "allows the TV to 'see' and display the 4:4:4 content that may potentially be included in HDMI 2.0 compatible sources." Such signals are essentially nonexistent today, so I didn't test the efficacy of this mode.

Bit annoying as I asked the reviewer to test this about a month ago (he said he would as CNET had a test PC with a 980). However, it doesn't appear they've done any testing at all.

Anyway I had a HU8550 and it does not work at 4:4:4/60Hz. Returned it to Amazon last week.

Just a heads up it looks like the chroma issue has been corrected on the HU8550 and HU9000. A firmware update that was released today allows for 4:4:4 at 4K/60Hz.

Just a heads up it looks like the chroma issue has been corrected on the HU8550 and HU9000. A firmware update that was released today allows for 4:4:4 at 4K/60Hz.

is this available in 40" as well? hrm, whether to bite on this now (and get a 970 / 980 to go with it) or wait for general availability on the philips 40"

is this available in 40" as well? hrm, whether to bite on this now (and get a 970 / 980 to go with it) or wait for general availability on the philips 40"

Smallest size for the HU8550 is 50", and the curved HU9000 comes in 55" and above.

However they have the HU6950 which comes in 40" - not sure if a fix has been pushed out for that model yet though. I think some people on the forums here have them so maybe someone can confirm.

I was pretty happy with the HU8550. Not sure if I am going to rebuy it though (returned it to Amazon before the fix came out). I kind of want to wait for 4K OLED at this point.

To HDMI 2.0 TV owners: waht, if any, DP> HDMI adapters have you successfully used:confused:

amazon lists a belkin and newegg a startech cable, but this site says that my favorite DP 1.1 > HDMI 1.4a adapter from accel, will not get a DP 1.2> HDMI 2.0 version until Q1 2015.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I believe that is the UK version of the one in the list, no?
I just purchased the LG 55UB850T in Australia, and there is an addendum sheet for the manual, that shows a table with various combinations that work ONLY for HDMI port 3. The YCbCr 4:4:4 and RGB 4:4:4 is only shown in the 8-bit column. Also, 10 bit & 12 bit will only work as YCbCr 4:2:0 in HDMI port 3, but all 3 (8, 10 and 12 bits) are supported as YCbCr 4:2:2 in port 3. The resolution for 3840 x 2160p is 59.94Hz and 4096 x 2160p is 60.00Hz (as expected for the full UHD I guess).

I don't have any 4K equipment yet, just future-proofing my TV purchase, as store had a sale on (1520 AUD for this model) and our old UK Samsung would not tune in any OZ channels (due to the low start frequency and wide range, use of half megs e.g. 196.5MHz and 7MHz separation instead of 8). I was using a cheap HD PVR to get by, but now I have Freeview+ to play with (came to OZ in September) and it has a reasonable catchup service via inbuilt WiFi and the FTTH we happened to have at our property seems fast enough for current services. 4K is way off here, so will see what the new Bluray brings next year. Good forum,thanks, I should learn a lot here.

I just picked up a Samsung 55 8500 at Costco. This is a trial run and will probably be too big. Once I get it setup and a 980 in, I will test it and see if it will do 4:4:4.

Thanks everyone for the info.

Looking for a long (30') HDMI cable that will do 4K 60Hz 4:4:4. What type of bandwidth does this signal need - 18gbps?

Thanks.

Subscribed for future purchases. Thinking of replacing dual 1200p 27" TN monitors with a single 39-40" 4k.

Firmware update 2181 is supposed to finally enable Samsung HU8550 tvs to run 4:4:4 60fps. I'll find out when I pickup my set later in the week.

Are there any 40'' 4k TVs supporting 60fps over HDMI? Anything larger is unweildy for a monitor replacement.

I am using a Vizio P 60 inch for my monitor now.

Purchased for 1k at samsclub.

It does not do 4:4:4 but when I am sitting on the sofa about 4 feet away, it looks just fine. At default settings, Text was kind of hard to read but I increased the DPI and made some of the text bold now. All text is legible and it is amazing to game on! Love playing BF4 and Dota on this setup.

I am using a Vizio P 60 inch for my monitor now.

Purchased for 1k at samsclub.

It does not do 4:4:4 but when I am sitting on the sofa about 4 feet away, it looks just fine. At default settings, Text was kind of hard to read but I increased the DPI and made some of the text bold now. All text is legible and it is amazing to game on! Love playing BF4 and Dota on this setup.

Sorry, I know this forum is for people looking for 4:4:4 4k TVs but I thought it might be useful for some people who are not sure if want/need 4:4:4 or if they would be ok with 4:2:0.

Firmware update 2181 is supposed to finally enable Samsung HU8550 tvs to run 4:4:4 60fps. I'll find out when I pickup my set later in the week.

Yup, although... there is apparently a chipset lottery, some of the HU8550s are on a different firmware series (1xxx) and still can't do 4:4:4/4K/60Hz.

Just got my GTX 980 installed last night. What is the best way to test to see if my Samsung 8500 will do 4:4:4 4k/60?

Thanks

I am starting to lose interest in the Philips monitor now. It seems that all monitor that will be in stock in 1-2 weeks are already reserved for people that have pre ordered so I might be screwed and there is none left for me.

I am thinking to get Panasonic TX-50AX800 in that case.
Will be too big to use as monitor?

I mean, it has only 88.12 PPI compared to 110 PPI on the 40"inch.
Would it be bad with less PPI?

The only question is whether you can sit far enough away.
ppi doesnt matter (for the same res) if the distance compensates.

I have been looking at some TV's in my local store, was thinking of buying one tomorrow.

LG 49UB820V
Samsung UE48HU7505TXXE

I could not find any info about chroma subsampling on the LG.

But for the Samsung it says:

S56NzaR.png

I remember reading that this feature is broken on samsung TV's and that you don't really get 4:4:4 with the option set to ON, does anyone know if this has been resolved with a firmware update?

Edit: It seems that the option works on some Samsung TV's: https://forums.geforce.com/default/...oviding-4k-60hz-with-4-4-4-choma-hdmi-2-0-/8/
Ill get the Sammy tomorrow and try, if it does not have 4:4::4, hopefully a firmware update will fix it :)

Last edited:
It's supposed to be a chipset lottery on the samung TVs. If it doesn't work you can always return it :p.

I remember reading that this feature is broken on samsung TV's and that you don't really get 4:4:4 with the option set to ON, does anyone know if this has been resolved with a firmware update?

Edit: It seems that the option works on some Samsung TV's: https://forums.geforce.com/default/...oviding-4k-60hz-with-4-4-4-choma-hdmi-2-0-/8/
Ill get the Sammy tomorrow and try, if it does not have 4:4::4, hopefully a firmware update will fix it :)

4:4:4/4K/60Hz is broken on Samsung sets with the T-NT14 chipset. No real way of telling what chipset you get before buying, unfortunately. So make sure to buy from somewhere with a hassle-free return policy.

Back