4K, 60FPS Footage of New York City in 1911

Auer

[H]ard|Gawd
"Restored with neural networks 1911 New York footage taken by the Swedish company Svenska Biografteatern on a trip to America:
✔ FPS boosted to 60 frames per second;
✔ Image resolution boosted up to 4k;
✔ Resorted video sharpness;
✔ Colorized – I'am still unsure about this, but regarding to high request from the subscribers decided to test DeOldify NN on this video. "

https://www.shutterbug.com/content/step-time-machine-4k-60fps-footage-new-york-city-1911

Man that was AWESOME! Thank you!

All of it really interesting to me. One thing that really caught my eye was at 6:19. Looks like two guys holding hands in plain view , in public which, I don't think was common back in those days. Al so it seems like hats were REQUIRED?

Last edited:
Looks a bit like CGI, somewhat reminds me of a game.
Pretty cool though, especially the sound editing

Have you seen those really large triangular things in Egypt that people built 5,000-10,000 years ago with no technology.

1583292197401.png

What strikes me most about footage of that time is how proud everyone looked. It's in their clothes and their posture and how they walk. And it was no doubt earned pride.

Last edited by a moderator:
All of it really interesting to me. One thing that really caught my eye was at 6:19. Looks like two guys holding hands in plain view in the public which, I don't think was common back in those days.
To further add to the mystery, one of the guys was a black man. Given the time period, there has to be something more to that story than "two guys holding hands".

Pyramids aren't nearly as impressive as a skyscraper.
The pyramids are a mindfuck; still not fully understood how they pulled off the construction and the precision given the time. Skyscrapers are just welding I-beams into squares repeatedly.

Last edited:
Have you seen those really large triangular things in Egypt that people built 5,000-10,000 years ago with no technology.

They are incredible feats of engineering. I believe the largest pyramid has over a million blocks. How they were able to cut, move them and place them with such accuracy is amazing.

Last edited:
The pyramids are a mindfuck; still not fully understood how they pulled off the construction and the precision given the time. Skyscrapers are just welding I-beams into squares repeatedly.

As with the pyramids, Skyscrapers have a fair bit of structural engineering as well.

Hi All,
I think the point being made is that we fully understand how Skyscrapers are built. No one knows for sure how the Pyramids were built

Using modern tech to bring 100+ year old footage to life, seems pretty tech newsy to me.

Regarding the video:

op didnt say so, didnt give any info, just copy/pasted and there is no explanation why he thinks its news. ie didnt follow posting rules. also this isnt new, its old from 2018. this yt channel just started reediting them and reposting them. it should be in the "something cool on youtube" thread. its not tech news.

Man that was AWESOME! Thank you!

All of it really interesting to me. One thing that really caught my eye was at 6:19. Looks like two guys holding hands in plain view , in public which, I don't think was common back in those days. Al so it seems like hats were REQUIRED?
In the past, men could hold hands just fine and it was not considered weird. It wasnt until more recently that American society considered it taboo.

I disagree. Just because of the time period in which they were built. No forged tools or modern pulley systems. Also those stones were so well cut and put together that you couldn't fit a piece of paper between them.

There sure were a lot of hipsters in 1911 NYC.

Reactions: Auer
like this
The only thing that is odd to me is the halo effect around the people and certain objects but it is pretty dang cool to see that in ultra hd. Thanks for sharing this.

I think I seen this a month or few ago, pretty neat.
Wonder if that the Matrix will look like when we're all plugged in!? :eek:

like this

In many ways, the pyramid is a more impressive structure. For example, they've been standing for thousands of years. Skyscrapers? Probably won't last nearly that long.

Who needs forged tools and pulleys when you have a couple hundred thousand slaves?

Newer evidence suggests that pyramid workers were not slaves but rather skilled labor.

like this
Interesting how little fucks are given by people just slowly walking in front of streetcars and cars/buggies in general.

like this
To further add to the mystery, one of the guys was a black man. Given the time period, there has to be something more to that story than "two guys holding hands".

No, I don't think so at all. I think we have made much more out of things then we realize. Was everything equal, nope, were there issues, yup. Was it the worst humans have ever done to one another ? I don't think so at all.

I remember growing up as a little kid, elementary school in Lubbock Texas in the mid to late 60s and early 70s, we had only one black family on our street. All us kids played with them just like we did with all the other kids and I never thought anything about it back then. They were just other people who happened to look different, so what. I'm not saying everything was perfect or even, but I never once saw anything as a child that made me aware of discrimination. I truly wasn't even aware of it. Later on, around 1975 or so, my Dad hired a black guy to work at his sheet metal shop. I grew up working at the shop. Everything seemed to be going fine until my Dad invited this guy and his wife to our home for dinner, we found that he was married to a White girl, and I don't know everything for sure, but my Dad might have fired him over it. It may sound terrible, but I would bring to your attention that, right or wrong, interracial marriage was illegal in the USA up until 1967. Perhaps my father's judgement was effected by what he perceived as something that people just shouldn't do, and I think growing up in a time when it was out right illegal he would have colored his judgement. I think it would also bear reiterating that despite these laws against interracial marriage, I was never told not to play with the kids of the only Black family on the block. I never had the sense that there was anything about them living nearby, going to my school, interacting, sharing, but it seems that marriage was a problem, and it could have simply been a stigma remaining to what was once illegal and shunned.

We're not seeing the pyramids as they were when first built. They had a limestone covering and metal cap. We're seeing the stuff that was supposed to be covered up. The base blocks of the pyramid weigh more than any of the components of the skyscrapers so I'd say the pyramids were a more difficult engineering challenge.

Other than the horse manure, what a clean and neat society! People clearly had dignity back then.

Fast forward today and we look like a bunch of savages despite having way more technology and conveniences. Sickening.

Much of it has to do with liberal policies and people turning their back on God.

Here's a video of downtown San Francisco from 1906 - not colourized, though:

Transferred into 4k:

like this
Back