4K 60 Hz Scanning Backlight TV/Monitor - Panasonic TC-L65WT600

Our local BB has a 65" 4K TV and 3D and its a real head turner. I always considered 3D to be a gimmick and probably worse than what it is in theaters. Boy was I wrong! Freaking gorgeous. I took the wife in to see it so she could give an opinion. She thought it was amazing too. Damn thing is expensive though at $5500 currently. We're talking about getting one for the new house we're building. :D

I was just reading on AVSForum that apparently all of these sets have some sort of faint vertical lines on light background. Wonder what the issue could be...

Still interested to know what kind of input lag number and motion clarity this set can put out..

It wasnt just me. Back in the day it was very noticable when we went from 720p 2 GB bluray rips of sons of anarchy to 1080p 4 GB bluray rips. These are high bit-rate h264. Yes its the same TV. Its very obvious to me. Of course I have used 4k displays since 2005 on 22 inch monitors which 30% of the people who see it say they can't even read it and the other 40% say its too small to be confortable.
That is not an apples to apples comparison, one is a higher bitrate and there is two types of scaling occurring on a 720 rip versus a 1080

luma scaling 720 > 1080 lines
chroma scaling 360 > 1080 lines

Upping pixel density helps slow displays keep up with fast ones because there is an greater chance the pixel is "closer" to where it should be

I'm about to pull the trigger on one today, but the store doesn't have any source boxes with DipslayPort for me to test it. I'm mostly concerned with the crispness and legibility of text. I don't do any PC gaming ( yet? ), but am interested in replacing 4 27" monitors with just one of these Panasonics as a monitor for web development. Can anyone speak to this? If I try it out at 30Hz in store over HDMI and the text looks flawless and legible does it stand to reason that if I take one home and go DisplayPort the picture quality will look the same? I tried a 39" Seiki at 30Hz as a monitor and the picture was beautiful and after much tweaking very legible, but the 30Hz was too laggy to keep up with me and repeatedly slowed me down so I returned it and am turning to this set. Thanks guys.

I spent about 45 minutes trying to hunt down any device at Best Buy that could handle 3840x2160 at any Hz and finally convinced them to let me unclip a RMBP and update it to 10.9.3 to give the ol Panasonic a test run.

I played with all of the setting I could and used SwitchResX to get 3840x2160 @ 30Hz over HDMI ( jack 4 was the only one that could do it ) going, but no matter what I tried I couldn't quite get the text to be crisp and feel nativey, so I walked away empty handed. If anyone knows if it's just an entirely different ballgame over DisplayPort and if the rendering can be expected to be perfect and crisp that way please let me know so I can go back and pick this big, ugly, beautiful monitor-in-a-tv's-body up. I'd really, really like to go 4k for development. Thx.

why not try the macbook pro over DP? I heard lots of reports on avs and stuff about people using this as a monitor and that it worked good bu I would be mostly worried about input lag.

I guess you don't have your own laptop that is DP 1.2 to test this thing? It is a tiled display when driven @ 60Hz with MST so I am guessing it would not work on Mac OS X anyway but maybe one of the windows laptops?

I spent about 45 minutes trying to hunt down any device at Best Buy that could handle 3840x2160 at any Hz and finally convinced them to let me unclip a RMBP and update it to 10.9.3 to give the ol Panasonic a test run.

I played with all of the setting I could and used SwitchResX to get 3840x2160 @ 30Hz over HDMI ( jack 4 was the only one that could do it ) going, but no matter what I tried I couldn't quite get the text to be crisp and feel nativey, so I walked away empty handed. If anyone knows if it's just an entirely different ballgame over DisplayPort and if the rendering can be expected to be perfect and crisp that way please let me know so I can go back and pick this big, ugly, beautiful monitor-in-a-tv's-body up. I'd really, really like to go 4k for development. Thx.

TVs have a lot of processing on the inputs. Try PC or game mode first before you do anything. Then check to make sure the color range (RGB) is set to Full and not Limited since the PC source is 0-255 vs 16-235. There are probably other settings depending on the brand of TV, but the key is to try to disable as much of the image processing as you can if your source is a computer.

Back