4k + 3x 1080p what graphics card(s)?

Enlefo

Limp Gawd
Hey everyone, I'm building a desktop for my work, gonna be rocking one of the new Asus PB287Q and 3x Viewsonic 1080p monitors.

I'm a sys admin and screen real estate is what I'm after... want everything running at 60hz

Planning on Asus Z97 board and Intel i7-4790, not stuck on that though... I just like Asus.

Should I do 2x cards? a single SLI card? nvidia or AMD? Would be cool to have enough power to drive 2x 4k + 2x 1080p in the future... but not if it's gonna mean running 3-4k in graphics cards or such.

-Orion

I have not gotten my hands on a 4k display, but I think the most simple solution would be to run the 3 1080p displays off a single gpu, Nvidia or AMD, with the 4k running off the displayport onboard. In theory, you might be able to run all 4 displays off an nvidia gpu, but I have not read or heard of anyone doing this yet. Be sure to post some results whatever you decide to do!

Yeah, I figured I would go with a 2 card solution (either 2 separate cards or a 2x1 card) to run the 3x displays off one and the 4k off the other.

The Asus pb287q is a SST 4k, and I don't think Displayport 1.2 supports that :-/ so I don't know if I'll need to wait for Display port 1.3 or HDMI 2.0 to get this goin.

DP 1.2 supports 4K60 SST, and Z97 has DP 1.2. nvidia gpus have supported four monitors from one gpu since kepler's introduction (600 series) and amd has supported up to 6 (via MST) since the 5000 series, i think.

Last edited:
DP 1.2 supports 4K60 SST, and Z97 has DP 1.2. nvidia gpus have supported four monitors from one gpu since kepler's introduction (600 series) and amd has supported up to 6 (via MST) since the 5000 series, i think.

You sure about that? Can you point me to something that lists that 1.2 supports 4k 60hz sst?

Last edited:
So it looks like I can run a single card to drive all these. Looks like the AMD solutions are cheaper... anyone have any thoughts on that? Or how much video ram I should get to ensure I can run everything?

An AMD R9 270X-DC2T seems like a good solution....

since this is for work, you don't need anything too powerful. the only hardware accelerated thing you're going to be looking at is the windows gui, right? video ram usage in windows will be less than a gigabyte so you don't need to worry about that either. i'd say a 270X would be just right for you, specifically the model you mentioned, as it'll cost you about the same as a 270 of the same model right now ($209 - $10 rebate - 10% = $179.)

Back