4K 120 FPS Over HDMI LG OLED TV's Nvidia GPU

gerardfraser

[H]ard|Gawd
EDIT:I guess I should say this ,Thanks for the reply's and I know you are trying to help out and are correct. I made the video with a 2560x1440 resolution,said sharing for fun . I am wondering do you think I am trying to trick people into believing that this is actual 120Hz on a Nvidia GPU thru HDMI without a proper adaptor DP 1.4 to 2.1HDMI or proper GPU capable of such bandwidth. Also the adaptor can not do 120Hz HDR/G-sync

Internet is serious lol

Sharing settings for those who would like to try out 4k 120 for fun,I just grabbed the settings of the net.No Nvidia Dynamic Super Resolution (DSR) needed
https://postimg.cc/qNbNFJy7
https://postimg.cc/tsC1DZ1f

You will need a proper HDMI cable and capable 4k 120 TV ,not sure if Variable Refresh Rate is working or just V-sync

1.No G-sync in game unless you turn off exclusive fullscreen. Then you would lose the 120 FPS and back to 60 FPS.

2.Nvidia control panel enable G-sync and V-sync for the 120FPS

3.Setup custom resolution the same as in the video in the Nvidia control panel

4.Tested on Steam games exclusive fullscreen, may not work with XBOX Game Pass
Games tested in video
Shadow Of The Tomb Raider
Sleeping Dogs
Bioshock Remastered

Quick compare for anyone interested

Last edited:
Well the video is Model 9 and any of the 2019 Models should work ,any 4K 120 capable

Doesn't work on my 55CX, it actually accepts it but colors are all messed up and not fullscreen.

Doesn't work on my 55CX, it actually accepts it but colors are all messed up and not fullscreen.
Well that sucks,not sure how colors get mess up and not fullscreen , I can say it work on my 65B9

EDIT: When you said colors messed up ,did you mean no HDR at 4K 120 .

Last edited:
You are not getting a 4K signal doing this, you are getting a 2560x1440 signal.

You are not getting a 4K signal doing this, you are getting a 2560x1440 signal.
OH you the same guy who replied in the youtube comments, I replied back to you.I also put a disclaimer in the first post.

EDIT:I guess I should say this ,Thanks for the reply's and I know you are trying to help out and are correct. I made the video with a 2560x1440 resolution,said sharing for fun . I am wondering do you think I am trying to trick people into believing that this is actual 120Hz on a Nvidia GPU thru HDMI without a proper adaptor DP 1.4 to 2.1HDMI or proper GPU capable of such bandwidth.

I haven't hooked my PC up to my C9 OLED, but I don't see how you're going to get 4k/120Hz to the TV without HDMI 2.1 on the card. I don't see any DP to HDMI 2.1 (if they even exist) adapter working properly either, at least with VRR and/or HDR working at 120Hz. The best you can do is 1440p/120Hz over HDMI 2.0.

OH you the same guy who replied in the youtube comments, I replied back to you.I also put a disclaimer in the first post.

EDIT:I guess I should say this ,Thanks for the reply's and I know you are trying to help out and are correct. I made the video with a 2560x1440 resolution,said sharing for fun . I am wondering do you think I am trying to trick people into believing that this is actual 120Hz on a Nvidia GPU thru HDMI without a proper adaptor DP 1.4 to 2.1HDMI or proper GPU capable of such bandwidth.

You tilted your video "4K 120 FPS", which would imply 4K at 120 Hz, which isn't the case. I mean people have used DSR for years, so not sure what the point of posting a video about taking a 4K game signal and compressing it down to 2560x1440.

You tilted your video "4K 120 FPS", which would imply 4K at 120 Hz, which isn't the case. I mean people have used DSR for years, so not sure what the point of posting a video about taking a 4K game signal and compressing it down to 2560x1440.
Bugs you that much ,put me on ignore

I don't really care that much, but the title of this thread and the youtube video is, well, misleading at best. It's false information.

Well it's hard to say. Both images look very good.

Please don't feel like I'm attacking you or anything.

I think you found a cool trick but you could present it in a way that is not misleading.

That was all.

My ego is not hurt and like I said someone can try it for fun,play and old game and never tell the difference,I am sure some can tell the difference though.The trick been around forever,well not actually forever per say,internet is serious biz,careful what you say
Number 1 is what in video
2 native 4k

You should keep it unpublished. Your title is misleading.

And so are your screenshots. When you take a screenshot using DSR, it will take a picture of the internal resolution. So they're the same screenshot. If somebody was looking at your actual sceen, they could tell a difference.

You didn't discover a trick. You're just using DSR to downscale 2160p>1440p then your TV scales 1440p>2160p. So you have a 1440p image that is made a little sharper by the DSR, then a little blurrier by the TV.

People would probably get a better image if they ran 4k 120hz at 4:2:0 with no scaling. Then they'd have full luma resolution

You should keep it unpublished. Your title is misleading.

And so are your screenshots. When you take a screenshot using DSR, it will take a picture of the internal resolution. So they're the same screenshot. If somebody was looking at your actual sceen, they could tell a difference.

You didn't discover a trick. You're just using DSR to downscale 2160p>1440p then your TV scales 1440p>2160p. So you have a 1440p image that is made a little sharper by the DSR, then a little blurrier by the TV.

People would probably get a better image if they ran 4k 120hz at 4:2:0 with no scaling. Then they'd have full luma resolution
You do not like the title,so keep it unpublished,reads like the crazy leftist in the USA,you one of those nutbars. How about trying to cancel me,or just get me banned.If enough nuts complain ,a mod would get tired of looking at the complaints.I love how you do not even look and come to a decision which is negative.

Haha, it doesn't suprise me that a person dumb enough to think 1440p with SSAA displaying on a 2160p screen is somehow 2160p, would also think he's being silenced by left wingers on a hardware forum.

We just care about saying true things, not false things. If you come in here and say a false thing, we're going to tell you it's a false thing, and also ask you to not try and trick other people into thinking you're doing a true thing.

This is the tile of the thread: "4K 120 FPS Over HDMI LG OLED TV's Nvidia GPU"

How can you say that is not misleading or deceiving or basically a false statement?

Hey you're the one that fucked up with this thread.

Are you like the great Orange Beast in the white house in that you can't admit when you've made a mistake?

I am Canadian, I do not give a fuck about USA ,I can see what people like you believe in, I am done with this stupid,and will not reply any more.

Actually, it's not even that. DSR uses a special algorithm to downsample the image (based on the sharpness setting you provide), from a resolution higher than native.

With this trick you are rendering a 4K image that is likely resampled by Windows (or the generic Nvidia GPU scaling, not DSR) and then transmitting a 1440p image (that is then upscaled by the internal TV hardware to 4K). So, it's likely no better than just selecting 1440p to begin with.

Back