4GB RAM w/ Toldeo Core Gets Me 100Mhz Memory

ClockerXP

Gawd
I have an ATI Express 3200 motherboard with 4x1GB of OCZ Platinum PC3200.

My ram won't run at 200Mhz unless I have only two of my DIMMS installed. With 3 or more, it only runs at 100Mhz.

I knew there were some problems with the earlier A64's and larger amounts of RAM where the speed was reduced but I didn't know the Toldeo core X2s had the same issue.

I manually set the memory speed in BIOS and reduced command rate to 2T but that does not change anything.

Anybody share the same experience? Do the C2Ds have this issue?

Thanks,
C

I thought the memory controller was on the CPU so how is the motherboard going to affect the memory speed?

CxP

You should at least be able to run them a 333 MHZ with 2T that was the bug in the memory controller. There is no reason that you should have to run that at DDR 200. How are you checking the memory speed because some bios's show actual speed not effective speed. IE 200 MHZ = DDR400.

The motherboard makes all but no difference in what the Ram runs at.

I'm using CPU-Z. Results look like this:

Chipset & Memory
Northbridge ATI Xpress 3200 (RD580) rev. 00
Southbridge ALI M1575 rev. 00
Graphic Interface PCI-Express
PCI-E Link Width x16
PCI-E Max Link Width x16
Memory Type DDR
Memory Size 4096 MBytes
Memory Frequency 100.2 MHz (CPU/22)
CAS# Latency (tCL) 2.5 clocks
RAS# to CAS# (tRDC) 2 clocks
RAS# Precharge (tRP) 2 clocks
Cycle Time (tRAS) 5 clocks
Bank Cycle Time (tRC) 7 clocks
DRAM Idle Timer 16 clocks
Command Rate 2T

BTW, one pair of DIMMS is some OCZ Platinum PC3200 I had for about a year. The 2nd pair is newer Platinum stuff. I think the model numbers are slightly different (one has an L in it I believe) but the timings are all the same as far as I can tell. I hope THAT is not a problem.

Why not just "overclock" your memory in the BIOS to get it back to stock speeds? This is what I often hear people in your situation doing.

Make sure your timings settings are right. Set them really loose (like 3-4-4-7) then try booting it at the 100% OC. Then lower the timings slowly.

Try running one stick from each set and see what happens. There might be some slight difference between the two sets that might make a difference.

The Opterons are just re badged X2s so I doubt your luck will be that different unless you just have bunk mem controller on that 4800+

I'd try another program to make sure CPU-Z isn't giving you an inaccurate reading. Also as mentioned before the DFI board will run those with no problems.

i have the same problem...only runs at 100mhz on 4gb corsair valueselect on a Tforce 6100-939 board...

cool and quiet seems to be on try disabling that, but even with that your ram would only be 200mhz full speed wich is 400mhz ddr i think

cool and quiet seems to be on try disabling that, but even with that your ram would only be 200mhz full speed wich is 400mhz ddr i think

what would be the disadvanteages of turning cool and quiet off?...willl my comp get hot?

Back