4gb not showing up in Vista

gutkin

Weaksauce
I just did a clean install to Vista Premium 32bit, I'm running EVGA 680i with 8800GTX SLI, and 4gb of memory, 4gb does show up in the bios and upon boot up. I have googled this issue and realize the HW addressing takes up room.

But honestly I'm still somewhat confused, I have 2.5GB showing up in VISTA, I do have all the latest drivers installed from NVIDIA, and the latest bios from EVGA. I guess after reading all I could find on the net, I'm still a bit confused, are the missing 1.5gb wasted, or are they being used, just not showing up in vista?

I did try the PAE switch as well.

I thought the 32 bit limit was 3.5 gigs though... not the 2.5 gigs that he says is showing?

In the BIOS you need to make sure you do not relocate the memory.

you are only going to see the full 4gb when u use vista 64bit.

Does anyone know what the setting is in EVGA 680i Mobo to relocate the memory, I looked but cannot find anything along those lines.

So is the bottom line that buying 4gb was a waste ?

Does anyone know what the setting is in EVGA 680i Mobo to relocate the memory, I looked but cannot find anything along those lines.

So is the bottom line that buying 4gb was a waste ?

No it's not a waste, but 32 bit Windows OSes simply can't use all of it, that's all. That's what the 64 bit versions are for, with total usable access to every last byte of it. In time you'll probably be quite happy you did splurge while you had the chance to get 4GB - I sure as hell wish I had 4GB right now, but but but... :p

With the DFI Lanparty, I still could only read 3.25 gig on Vista 64 bit ultimate. I ended up having to go into my bios and enabling the 4 gigs. There is a setting which said enable MB to read more than 4 gig. I enabled that and it showed 4.1 in the bios and Vista 64 is now showing 4 gig.

Hopefully it will help someone else who had that problem.

With the DFI Lanparty, I still could only read 3.25 gig on Vista 64 bit ultimate. I ended up having to go into my bios and enabling the 4 gigs. There is a setting which said enable MB to read more than 4 gig. I enabled that and it showed 4.1 in the bios and Vista 64 is now showing 4 gig.

Hopefully it will help someone else who had that problem.

Does anyone with EVGA 680i mobo know if we have a similar setting in bios, I could not find it. As an update I started to have stability issues with all 4 1gb sticks in my mobo. I ruled out a bad stick, and found out it was the timings, even though my memory is rated for 4-4-4-12, with 4gb I had to loosen them to stay stable.

No such setting on the eVGA board. One of the reasons I went to the 64bit version of Vista.

Back