4GB DDR800 to 8GB DDR1066 - Win7 Realworld Difference?-

thenewrick

Limp Gawd
I was wondering if anyone had any experience with these standards. I currently have the 4 GB of DDR800, and was thinking of upgrading to 8 GB of DDR1066 to coincide with my installation of Win7. I normally play typical games, have Facebook running, and maybe a bit torrent. What types of improvements would I see in my day to day usage? Or do you think 4GB of DDR800 is still plenty? It would be a $200 upgrade cost, and I'm not sure if it's worth it.

I think you will need to set the memory sticks from DDR2 1066 to DDR2 800 if your running 4x sticks.

If your just a light gamer and PC user upgrading to 8GB wouldn't be really worth it. 4GB is more than enough.

Not only that but the prices of memory have gone way up especially DDR2. They are nearly at double the prices than they were a few months ago. If you really want to go 8GB I say just wait till the prices drop again or hit up the for sale section.

Yea as DTN107 said, no point in uprgrading to 8GB of RAM for your usage scenarios.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

I don't think prices are coming down on DDR2. Grab what you plan on grabbing now because just like DDR1, they are going up to stay IMO.

It sounds like 4 GB should be enough. I love that when I upgrade from XP to Win7 my os will recognize another 600 MB of ram. Think it'll actually put it to use better than XP did?

It sounds like 4 GB should be enough. I love that when I upgrade from XP to Win7 my os will recognize another 600 MB of ram. Think it'll actually put it to use better than XP did?

No. 32bit is 32bit; Win7 32bit won't remove the ram limitations.

Yep, go 64bit WIN 7 for sure. Test it with your 4GB and monitor your RAM usage. Then you can make an informed decision based on your own usage.

Back