4GB DDR3 1600 Corsair Vengeance $50 each (Newegg)

I have some old DDR1 memory I could never get to go into dual channel, bought the same model number sticks but they never would successfully dual channel from the day I bought them. I kicked myself for not buying the paired sets, and at the time that was the common explanation as to why I couldn't get them to dual channel....because they weren't matched. Even though they might be the same model number they might not be enough alike for dual channel. So to hear that it's the motherboard that decides on dual channel solely is news to me at this point. Either it's something new with the DDR2 and 3 memory or people were making stuff up back then. Either way I couldn't get my memory to dual channel with the same model number memory on a motherboard that successfully dual channeled some paired sticks I bought.
Ram is ram, there's no such thing as "dual channel" ram, etc. The ram you are buying has simply been tested to work together. I setup servers at work with up to 18 ram slots, and we just pull HP ram from a box and randomly stick them in. There's no individual three packs of ram they send us. All the random little ram sticks go in the server and magically become tripple channel.

I have 6x2gb ram now...at this price its tempting to max out my board with 6x4gb....just to beat a dead horse tho so i make sure...6 of these will work in my sig rig right?

Promo Code invalid already? Seems to be not working for me.

Unless if I have to buy each stick individually..

edit: nm, pasted the wrong code, stupid me.

btw, does anyone know if this will fit with Tru120 (thermalright ultra 120) heatsink+fan installation? Not at home at the moment.

Last edited:
Hmm... debating between this and GSkill.
I am not overly impressed with my ripjaws; and according to reviews if ocing, this ram would be better than G.skill, plus its a little cheaper atm.
I really do not like the looks of some of the new heatspreader designs, especially for those on air cooling; the taller spreaders create clearance problems.

I currently eyeballing the Mushkin radioactive line or the g.skill eco line; both are great, but expensive for 4 gb sticks. Next year they should have better 4gb sticks for the same price; unless my mind is not working correctly right now, which is very possible.

One person said it didn't work for them many years ago, and everyone else told you that ram is ram. At this point you'll either have to just believe people or not.

It *should* work. There is always a chance you will get a defective stick, and then you will be left trying to figure out which one it is. If you get a defective stick from a kit, you have to return the entire kit to RMA even if you know which one is defective. I'd rather be left with a single stick in the event of a failure than have no ram at all until the RMA process is finished. The only reason I bought my ram in kits is because it was cheaper to do so at the time.

tl;dr: There is no such thing as single, dual, or triple channel ram. It's like saying you have a surround sound speaker.

There is no such thing as single, dual, or triple channel ram. It's like saying you have a surround sound speaker.
That definitely got me thinking a bit there. Is a speaker used for surround sound purposes not a surround sound speaker? Is a hangar (or metal rod) used as a stand not a stand?

For practical purposes, there are speakers made for surround sound purposes that really shouldn't be used for other purposes such as front speakers or centre speaker.

Back on topic. If ram is ram. Is mixing ram (from different manufacturers no longer a bad idea?) I'm still kind of old school and would avoid mixing ram at all costs.

Yup. It was already stated on the first page. I know I and two of my relatives already pulled the trigger on them for our SB builds!

For those looking at getting matched sets, or other memory in general, there's a 15% off all desktop memory promo code, DKMEM15. It brings the G.Skill Ripjaws 2x4GB 1600 kit down to $93.49 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231314). I'd get the Ripjaws not only for the slight price advantage, but also lower heatspreaders, allowing for greater versatility in choosing your CPU cooler.

In for two!

Was holding out for the 1866MHz kit, but for the price difference 1600 will have to suffice :p

For those looking at getting matched sets, or other memory in general, there's a 15% off all desktop memory promo code, DKMEM15. It brings the G.Skill Ripjaws 2x4GB 1600 kit down to $93.49 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231314). I'd get the Ripjaws not only for the slight price advantage, but also lower heatspreaders, allowing for greater versatility in choosing your CPU cooler.

That's why I love the Thermalright Archon. No memory clearance issues and awesome performance. Though it does come at a premium price...

I am having a really hard time deciding if I should upgrade from DDR2... I currently have 4gb PC8500, it would cost $40 to have another 2GB, but here I can have 4GB for $10 more... but then I would need a new motherboard. Is it worth it, will I notice a difference between PC8500 and 12800?

I am having a really hard time deciding if I should upgrade from DDR2... I currently have 4gb PC8500, it would cost $40 to have another 2GB, but here I can have 4GB for $10 more... but then I would need a new motherboard. Is it worth it, will I notice a difference between PC8500 and 12800?

Also, quick question: my memory is in sig, if i just buy one more 2GB stick, will it automatically operate in triple channel?

Also, quick question: my memory is in sig, if i just buy one more 2GB stick, will it automatically operate in triple channel?

nope. Your X3 is strictly a dual channel chip (max). Actually, if you add the third dimm you'll probably only operate in single channel mode.

Dang... so now I need to decide if I should get this and a new motherboard or just 4 more gb of DDR2 for $68...

I have some old DDR1 memory I could never get to go into dual channel,

I remember the early nForce chipsets sometimes had this problem. I would say it's mostly dependent on the memory controller and recent ones have been top notch. The worst case on a i5 or i7 would just require some extra voltage to the VTT. Some people don't like juicing up the VTT though.

How much memory should I get for a gaming sandy bridge 2600k build with 2x 6950's?
I am sure 8GB will be plenty, but if you got the money and don't need anything else; by all means go with 16GB.

I'm thinking of getting 3 of this for my X58 Classified or 3x2GB Dominator for $120, which one should be a better buy?

I'm only unsure because I'm not sure what the recommended speed of Sandy Bridge 2600k and a motherboard is. How do I figure that out. That's the 1600 speed right? There's also 1333? What about voltages?

Back