4g Memory with Vista 32x?

JD03Cobra

Limp Gawd
I currently have 2 gigs and ram is so dang cheap. Is it worth upgrading since i'm heavily into gaming? Are there any advantages of 4g vs 2g at the moment?

You will not use all of the 4gb of RAM with 32bit. What are the rest of your specs?

Q6600
Evga 680i SE
Evga 8800 GTS 640m
2 Gig Corsair XMS
2 WD 10,000
1 320G Seagate
1 500g WD External
750W PC&C Silent
30" Dell

Like already stated 32bit Vista does not allow you all 4GBs, will have to go 64bit for that.

Yeah, you'll only see around 3.2-3.4GB in Vista x32.

I have an 8800 GTX coming tomorrow...Are you saying I would see more than 3gb?
No, less if anything. That 4GB includes RAM on your video card. You have 640MB now, you'll have 768 tomorrow. That means that right now you have a theoretical limit of 3,456MB- tomorrow it'll drop to 3,328MB. And that includes not only your system RAM, but also reserved space, addressing, buffers, etc.

Ok...so your saying that it's a Vista limitation...otherwise software (Games) today might take advantage of additional memory?

It's a 32bit OS limitation. Programs can take advantage of the extra memory up to what the OS can see. If you want to have all 4GB available, you'd need to upgrade to Vista 64.

Ok...so your saying that it's a Vista limitation...otherwise software (Games) today might take advantage of additional memory?

No, if Vista can't address the memory then applications running on Vista can't address the memory.

Back