4chan Screenshot Sells For $90K On eBay

HardOCP News

[H] News
There are no words to describe this. The good news? You can have the screenshot below for free.

Opening at a minimum bid of $500 and finishing just four days later on 1 August at $90,900, the screenshot -- named "Artwork by Anonymous" -- is an anonymous post on the board pondering the diminished nature of art -- once something "to cherish", now reduced to a post on 4chan.

I was on that thread, bid is fake. Point is excellent though. Whats real though is that nutstained nasty bed that two gay guys wrestled on (complete with used condoms) that sold as "modern art" to some rich idiot for $3.7 million.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Bed

Discussion of that and various other con-artists pulling the Emperor's New Clothes oldest trick in the book on some blowhard overprivileged idiots ensued, along with that post.

wonder if i can sell a screenshot of screenshot, apparently there are more stupid rich people then once previously thought

"Art is a Lie which makes us Realize the truth." Pablo Picasso

4chan sucks 1990s message board with the worst format ever

Only like a week late. I like [H] for relevancy, I can read this garbage on 4chan first, reddit next, don't clog [H] with this shit please.

My wife and I went to an art museum a month or so ago, there were a lot of amazing things to see, but some of it was beyond my capacity to appreciate apparently. One piece was a framed chunk of wood that looked like it came off of my deck...absolutely nothing special about it, but it was named "found wood" and apparently that makes it artistic.

A lot of modern art, to me, is terrible. "All black paint, with tiny red slash in bottom left" is meant to have some insanely complex meaning.

Now go to art beyond that, particularly classical stuff, you can see some amazing skill.

This is Art =)

images_q_tbn_ANd9_Gc_S_4_VPYh_PK7jj_HXZE0_Jo_UOQNYNr_Py_V.jpg

A lot of modern art, to me, is terrible. "All black paint, with tiny red slash in bottom left" is meant to have some insanely complex meaning.

Now go to art beyond that, particularly classical stuff, you can see some amazing skill.

I like art, but most modern art is questionable at best. Complete bullshit at worst.

I like art, but most modern art is questionable at best. Complete bullshit at worst.

I'm pretty sure some "art expert" says it's cool and then the rest of the art people blindly agree. That seems to be the only real explanation for the appeal of modern art. Or maybe we just aren't "enlightened" enough to understand :D

My wife and I went to an art museum a month or so ago, there were a lot of amazing things to see, but some of it was beyond my capacity to appreciate apparently. One piece was a framed chunk of wood that looked like it came off of my deck...absolutely nothing special about it, but it was named "found wood" and apparently that makes it artistic.

Thats how i feel about most art. I look at it like wtf. I honestly think most people just pretend to get it and make up bullshit around it. Most art is random shit someone comes up with when stoned, at least thats my made up theory.

Thats how i feel about most art. I look at it like wtf. I honestly think most people just pretend to get it and make up bullshit around it. Most art is random shit someone comes up with when stoned, at least thats my made up theory.

I don't begrudge anyone for finding significance in something. If it does something for you that's fantastic, but if I can't tell the difference between your painting and the quality of artwork that comes out of your average kindergarten class...well...screw you.

I have a ton of respect for sculpters, woodworkers, people who transform materials, people who use obscure and often difficult techniques to slightly alter the normally mundane...those who smack some paint on a canvas and want $30K for it can blow me.

I like buying local art, it adds some interesting objects for our house and who knows, maybe some day the kids can make a nice profit on it.

"Art is a Lie which makes us Realize the truth." Pablo Picasso

4chan sucks 1990s message board with the worst format ever

I dunno, it is a toss up for me which board has worse formatting, reddit or 4Chan.

Back ot, yea most modern art is just bullshit.

Who the hell would spend $90k on a screenshot...

Seriously. A fool and there money are quite easily parted.

A painting or sculpture or video or anything else in life will appeal to some people and not others. If there was a perfect formula on how to make something that appealed to everyone, then that would be the only thing around. Clearly we have not found that formula yet, but i think original coke with real sugar is getting pretty close.

As far as "classical" "realistic" looking art is concerned, trust me, look at it for more than a couple of days and it will become the most boring thing ever. The renaissance paintings that you see of gods and nature and naked venuses were made by the thousands. There are warehouses full of them all around the world. They're all the same. You see one you've seen them all.

Who the hell would spend $90k on a screenshot...

Seriously. A fool and there money are quite easily parted.

I don't think anyone did. I think it was a trolling and will likely not get paid out. There was another one posted shortly afterwards that also got bids - it was a picture of the auction I think.

Or prefer to avoid 4chan and the hipster douchebag playground known as reddit.

I used to avoid Reddit until I heard about this special females-post-nudes-of-themselves subforum of it. Let me tell you what. There are some seriously hot nymphos/attention-whores out in the wild. Not that I visit that forum or anything .... :p

I think I'll mount one of my own unique boogers on a piece of old redwood and sell it on e-Bay. Should fetch a tidy little sum. :D

A painting or sculpture or video or anything else in life will appeal to some people and not others. If there was a perfect formula on how to make something that appealed to everyone, then that would be the only thing around. Clearly we have not found that formula yet, but i think original coke with real sugar is getting pretty close.

As far as "classical" "realistic" looking art is concerned, trust me, look at it for more than a couple of days and it will become the most boring thing ever. The renaissance paintings that you see of gods and nature and naked venuses were made by the thousands. There are warehouses full of them all around the world. They're all the same. You see one you've seen them all.

Of course it's all subjective. But I think some pieces (*cough* $3.5M dirty bed) are simply "the emperor has no clothes" situations where snobby/stupid rich people use it as a joke on everyone else to make themselves feel superior. But I agree with OG coke with real sugar.

While some is mass produced, you can't argue there are masterpieces out there. This one for example, seen in person in its massive form is incredible:

The Russian Bride's Attire

Back