$499 PS3 will NOT have HDMI

The Hard Drive is removable according the the press conference (watching it again now).

Ok, Confusion time... He originally said removable and upgradable but now is saying its built in... jesus christ they need to make up their mind.

they've also dropped a few features along the line. originally ps3 was spec'd to have TWO HDMI outputs, now it's only 1 =\.

Yeah and the other ironic thing is, most 1080p televisions don't accept 1080p inputs. They rely on upconverting 1080i....even Sony's high end TVs!

I like how the PS3 was supposed to be a revolutionary digital media hub and all that. The fact that is plays BD DVDs is cool, but hardly makes the PS3 any more of a "hub" than the PS2 was. The PS2 was basically in the same boat when it came out, since DVDs were just beginning their popularity. And slapping memory card slots on it doesn't make it a hub either. The PSP can do that.....

Same old Sony :rolleyes:

|MaguS| said:
You have to consider that the PS3 also has an internal powersupply unlike the black box the X360 uses. Atleast it looks like it has an internal one do to the power connector on the back of the console.

Taking another look at the photos I think you are correct. And if that's the case, then that means it will be even hotter inside. Pulling the Power Supply out of the box wasn't done just for space considerations on the Xbox360, it was also done to remove a large source of heat from inside the box. I hope someone is able to place a hand on a running PS3 on the show floor and get a sense for how warm it feels.

JethroXP said:
Taking another look at the photos I think you are correct. And if that's the case, then that means it will be even hotter inside. Pulling the Power Supply out of the box wasn't done just for space considerations on the Xbox360, it was also done to remove a large source of heat from inside the box. I hope someone is able to place a hand on a running PS3 on the show floor and get a sense for how warm it feels.

The added warmth makes the ball shaver more comfortable ;)

Slartibartfast said:
The added warmth makes the ball shaver more comfortable ;)
I believe sony droped that feature, much to my disappointment. Atleast in the $499 and $599 versions. I hear Sony is releasing a $699 version that has the ball shaver later.

Triple B said:
Taken from wikipedia.org

Another aspect of compatibility is more problematic. Due to AACS copy protection, the Blu-ray players will only output HD content via HDMI and DVI-D connections, meaning that older HDTV models with Component, RGB D-Sub, and DVI-A inputs (currently, majority of HDTVs in US) will only display video at standard definition or not at all.

So no, you most likely will NOT be "getting" blu-ray with the 499 flavor if I'm understanding this correctly.

Or you'll be getting it at reduced image quality. I seem to remember reading about how they wanted to standardize the HDMI for copy protection reasons, and that anything but HDMI would be at the cost of reduced image quality.

Unfortuantely, I don't have a link, so I can't be 100% about this.

EDIT: Disregard, this was already discussed in the thread. I need to learn to read the entire thread before posting. :)

JethroXP said:
I hope someone is able to place a hand on a running PS3 on the show floor and get a sense for how warm it feels.

not going to happen, sony still hasn't made available a working and running ps3 in the actual shell, they are still using development kits that according to the source where ign got the pics a few days ago "still has overheating problems and noise problems"

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/705/705349p1.html

KompressorV12 said:
not going to happen, sony still hasn't made available a working and running ps3 in the actual shell, they are still using development kits that according to the source where ign got the pics a few days ago "still has overheating problems and noise problems"

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/705/705349p1.html

Great toss of unofficial or stated information... where does it say it still has overheating and noise problems? Heck if anything Sony has made more progress then MS by having the first time playable actually running on Devkits insted of PCs (X360 Demos last year ran on Macs).

|MaguS| said:
Great toss of unofficial or stated information... where does it say it still has overheating and noise problems? Heck if anything Sony has made more progress then MS by having the first time playable actually running on Devkits insted of PCs (X360 Demos last year ran on Macs).

Ummm....Did you ever consider that it's only because there aren't any PCs that run on a Cell Processor?

|MaguS| said:

were you expecting sony to say "it is official our development kits overheat" ... didn't think so, now type PS3 grill in google and see how many hits you get

JethroXP said:

I hope that everyone who buys a next generation console realizes that YOU CAN'T FRICKIN stick these things into some small cubby hole media center. With the kind of power these systems are packing, they need more than just hot recirculated air to keep them cool. They need cool fresh air, and lots of it.

JethroXP said:
Did anyone else notice the weight? 5kg, that's 11 lbs. That's about 50% heavier than an Xbox360 which only weighs 7 lbs. Not a big deal, just sort of raised my eyebrows when I saw it.

That's a full 4 lbs of copy protection bullshit FTW!!!

|MaguS| said:

I saw the "extremly loud" comment in the first paragraph.

JethroXP said:

Even without the power supply the 360 is still hot as hell.

Iratus said:
Get the cheaper one and but a bigger hard drive in.

We're the [H] remember.

$10 to the first guy to tear it apart, upgrade the hard drive and watercool the SLU's.

Just send Steve the check now as you know he is thinking about it already. Lets hope he doesn't fail/give up like he did with the gamecube.

Anyway I'm kinda pissed but only kinda as I'm not going to drop that much on a console. At least with the 360 if you got the cheaper one you could upgrade it to the better version. O well it will be interesting to see how much market share sony will loose to ms and nintendo this round.

swatbat said:
O well it will be interesting to see how much market share sony will loose to ms and nintendo this round.
i hope it's a lot. after the extreme hype-machine that was the PS2 ("at least 4" controller ports, web-surfing, printer, digital camera connections [Eye Toy doesn't count], "Toy Story-like graphics"), i kinda hope Sony gets what they have coming. MS may be the Hitler of the OS market, but they've done a great job of listening to the gaming community and offering some value for our dollars, IMO. that may be because they're new to the market, but i don't care. whatever the reason, they've been more up front and accomodating than Sony has been all along.

if the PS3 has the games, graphics and value to back up Sony's claims, i'll buy one, easy, but that doesn't mean i don't want them to get chainsaw-humped by MS and Nintendo, 'cause i totally do.

hard.

well if hddvd requires it too, the the hddvd add on for xbox360 isn't gunna be fantastic either since the xbox doesn't support HDMI

killedaway said:
if the PS3 has the games, graphics and value to back up Sony's claims, i'll buy one, easy, but that doesn't mean i don't want them to get chainsaw-humped by MS and Nintendo, 'cause i totally do.

hard.

Hell unless nintendo and ms somehow don't have the games and graphics(so far the 360 can handle the graphics) then I really don't see myself buying one. If blueray looks good I'll buy a bluyray player as I think the ps2 and xbox sucked at dvds just like the sega saturn sucked with vcds(I had the jap adapter). I'm a college student and can't see spending that much cash on the system. I also don't see many parents buying one for the kids. At that price point it seems like sony wants to take the hardcore gaming title away from ms(as the xbox was considered more for hardcore gamers) but in the process they are killing the chance for the normal gamers that will not drop that cash.

killedaway said:
i hope it's a lot. after the extreme hype-machine that was the PS2 ("at least 4" controller ports, web-surfing, printer, digital camera connections [Eye Toy doesn't count], "Toy Story-like graphics"), i kinda hope Sony gets what they have coming. MS may be the Hitler of the OS market, but they've done a great job of listening to the gaming community and offering some value for our dollars, IMO. that may be because they're new to the market, but i don't care. whatever the reason, they've been more up front and accomodating than Sony has been all along.

hard.

ROFL .. lol

Thank you for summing up my feelings in a more articulate way than I had the energy to come up with :)

swatbat said:
Hell unless nintendo and ms somehow don't have the games and graphics(so far the 360 can handle the graphics) then I really don't see myself buying one. If blueray looks good I'll buy a bluyray player as I think the ps2 and xbox sucked at dvds just like the sega saturn sucked with vcds(I had the jap adapter). I'm a college student and can't see spending that much cash on the system. I also don't see many parents buying one for the kids. At that price point it seems like sony wants to take the hardcore gaming title away from ms(as the xbox was considered more for hardcore gamers) but in the process they are killing the chance for the normal gamers that will not drop that cash.

That is a critical mistake that many companies often make. While it might be cool to be a God among the hard core fan-boy and enthusiast crowd within a particular market, we only make up about 2%, being dubbed the 2 percenters among marketing folks. When you start focusing on that narrow portion of the market, you forget that there is 98% of the market still out there that you arn't catering to. Nintendo is clearly catering to that 98% of the total market, along with some of their most loyal fan base. Microsoft is also catering to both, but Sony may be catering to just that small portion. That's not even considering the possibility that Blu-Ray may lose the format war, which would be a catastrophic blow.

You guys need to stop critizing the ps3 so much, the 360 doesn't even an digital HD port (HDMI or DVI), so i mean of course your gonna have to pay a premium price for it. When the sony guy said that the reason they did this was because most people dont have HDMI, he was right.

laxmiddi44 said:
You guys need to stop critizing the ps3 so much, the 360 doesn't even an digital HD port (HDMI or DVI), so i mean of course your gonna have to pay a premium price for it. When the sony guy said that the reason they did this was because most people dont have HDMI, he was right.

Most people don't know what HDMI even is, so Sony is fucked.

All people want to know is if it plays "cool" games that look like real tv, and if they can watch "dvd's" on it. When they plop in a dvd and it doesn't work, then they will be pissed off.

I don't think Sony is going belly up, but they certainly are in big trouble......

Firewall said:
Most people don't know what HDMI even is, so Sony is fucked.

All people want to know is if it plays "cool" games that look like real tv, and if they can watch "dvd's" on it. When they plop in a dvd and it doesn't work, then they will be pissed off.

I don't think Sony is going belly up, but they certainly are in big trouble......

Why wouldn't a DVD work in the PS3?

laxmiddi44 said:

I'm pretty sure if I recall correctly... a HDMI port is relatively cheap. The only real cost involved is in the licensing of the HDCP keys and that's not an additional $100 per box type expense.

Navy

Back