4930K to 5960X for gaming

kahless

Weaksauce
Would a 5960X at a typical overclock of 4.2ghz to 4.4ghz offer any increased gaming performance over a 4930K @ 4.5ghz. Rest of my system is in my signature. Or would it make more sense to go 4 core Skylake 6700K.

What games are you playing?

Are you currently cpu bound in anything you play? Sounds like an expensive upgrade looking for a problem unless you can be specific.

no performance increase, the industry is far of being bottlenecked by a 4c/8t sandy bridge chip, let alone for a 6c/12t ivy bridge or haswell.. that will be a champion gaming chip for years, also ivy bridge-E run cooler and overclock much better than haswell-E, consuming a lot of less energy than a 5960X for example. so for only gaming it will be a worthless upgrade.

Mostly AAA titles like Witcher 3, GTA V. No problems other than I game at 4K and most games are in that 50 to 60 fps range and it would be nice to be able to maintain that 60fps and have some extra breathing room instead of being right on the edge. So maybe a 5930K is a better upgrade then a 5960x?

If all you're using it for is games keep your current CPU until you start getting CPU bottlenecks. Big fat waste of money if that's all you do for now.

There is no way you are CPU bottlenecked at 4K 60FPS using a 4c8t ivy bridge chip. You are likely better off grabbing yourself another TitanX, or Overclocking your TitanXs.

A 3rd Titan X will give you an additional 30-50% performance increase in games for ~$1000

A 5960x (which requires a new mainboard and RAM) would give you a 5-10% performance increase in games for over $2000

your choice.

6c12t ivy bridge-e chip

On newegg I can get a 5960X, rampage V extreme, 16gb corsair vengeance 2800 for $1400 combo or 5930K, MSI X99S SLI, 16gb Corsair vengeance 2800 for just under $900. All combo kits so there is a discount. So Haswell E really isn't going to gain me much of any frames per second? Don't really want a 3rd Titan X as they run pretty hot in 3 way SLI sandwiched together. I have them overclocked to 1400mhz core and 7500mhz Vram.

That my friend is one awesome problem to have....

It really sounds like money does not matter. Just go for the gold and if the upgrade doesn't really improve much then you'll know. If it does then great!

I think what everyone is saying is that no matter what you do you'll have an amazing gaming PC.

Well I keep flip flopping between the 5960x, 5930K, or waiting to see what the 6700K Skylake is capable of. Not sure I want to drop below 6 cores but who knows Skylake could prove to be a beast with only 4 cores.

If you are flip flopping and knowing that skylake uses a whole new socket I'd just wait for reviews and compare them all then make your final buy based off of that. For now you have a killer rig and +/- 5 fps of satisfactory levels should hold you off until then.

6c12t ivy bridge-e chip

On newegg I can get a 5960X, rampage V extreme, 16gb corsair vengeance 2800 for $1400 combo or 5930K, MSI X99S SLI, 16gb Corsair vengeance 2800 for just under $900. All combo kits so there is a discount. So Haswell E really isn't going to gain me much of any frames per second? Don't really want a 3rd Titan X as they run pretty hot in 3 way SLI sandwiched together. I have them overclocked to 1400mhz core and 7500mhz Vram.

Sounds like what you really want to do is spend money.

Like I said, with your setup, you are 99.9% likely GPU bound. Moving to a new CPU won't give you any improvement other than to your EPeen. If you want a bigger EPeen, go for it! But don't expect a new CPU of ANY kind to give you more than 5% (read 3 FPS) increase when you have two Titans Xs running 4K. 4K is still a GPU-punishing resolution. NO CPU (not Haswell E, Skylake K, Skymont X, etc) will unbind those Titans from struggling at 4K.

Don't believe me? Turn the resolution down to 1920x1080. Resolution (for the most part) does not affect the CPU performance. If the FPS increases when you decrease the resolution you are not CPU bottlenecked. If the FPS do not increase, than I am Wrongy mcWrongerson, and you should buy a new CPU/Board/RAM.

Sounds like what you really want to do is spend money.

Like I said, with your setup, you are 99.9% likely GPU bound. Moving to a new CPU won't give you any improvement other than to your EPeen. If you want a bigger EPeen, go for it! But don't expect a new CPU of ANY kind to give you more than 5% (read 3 FPS) increase when you have two Titans Xs running 4K. 4K is still a GPU-punishing resolution. NO CPU (not Haswell E, Skylake K, Skymont X, etc) will unbind those Titans from struggling at 4K.

Don't believe me? Turn the resolution down to 1920x1080. Resolution (for the most part) does not affect the CPU performance. If the FPS increases when you decrease the resolution you are not CPU bottlenecked. If the FPS do not increase, than I am Wrongy mcWrongerson, and you should buy a new CPU/Board/RAM.

I believe you :) And yes it is certainly a hobby and not "vital". I think I will wait on Skylake to see what it turns out to be.

I believe you :) And yes it is certainly a hobby and not "vital". I think I will wait on Skylake to see what it turns out to be.

Yeah. If you don't want to throw a third Titan X in there, unfortunately there is nothing you can do! I would say wait for Nvidia's next GPUs instead of waiting for Intel's next CPUs. With Direct X 12, things are going to get a lot less CPU bound anyways, and Nvidia's drivers are multithreaded, allowing a huge throughput on multicore machines. You won't notice a new CPU inside a game, but you will notice a faster GPU.

Either way, waiting appears to be your best option here. I'm in the same boat. I share your frustration.

Thanks for the input everyone. Helped me to realize what I already knew. Its hard to ignore the upgrade itch.

Since your CPU is not a limiting factor and that tri-SLI is inefficient, I would suggest to watercool your Titans and aim for a high overclock. Otherwise, wait for Pascal.

If you want a good, 8-core upgrade for your system, just pop an E5-1680 V2 into your existing motherboard...;)

If it's for gaming, spend the loot on 2 more screens & another video card and run surround.

Back