48gb on p6t deluxe?

Herbert123

n00b
First post here! I made a newbie mistake, and got three g-skill 8gb RipjawsX modules to expand my pt6 deluxe v1 x58 mainboard to 24gb (while I officially should have gone with 6x4gb).

However, despite my misgivings that it would work, after some tinkering with the bios settings, it's rock-solid, and Windows 7 now has 24gb available.

Since these modules are so inexpensive ($78), I wonder if I can add an additional 24gb into the mix? According to the manual only 24gb is supported, but 8gb modules were not available at the time these boards came out. I don't see why 48gb wouldn't work.

I found one Japanese post stating it works, but it was only showing a cpu-z screenie - which is unreliable.

Anyone here have experience / know whether this will work?

ps anyone wonder why I need this much ram: very complex 3d scenes.

Most reports I've seen are that 48GB works on desktop 1366. I saw one report of a person only getting 32GB but I bet that was just a case of the well known problems with x58 boards sometimes not seeing all modules, not because of any issue related to 8GB modules

Further some dual 1366 boards officially support 288GB of memory and I doubt there is that much difference in memory controller design between different 1366 processors. Other than setting some crippling difffently (e.g. disabling support for registered memory and ECC).

I suspect that it will work fine and the reason it isn't officially supported is because 1366 was being phased out just as 8GB desktop modules were coming onto the market so intel and their partners didn't think it worth officially testing and qualifying the configuration.

P.S. If you do put 48GB in please report back on how it went.

Just ordered an additional 3 modules. I'll let you know how it pans out. I am picking them up this Friday.

Right, back to report whether 48gb works on a ASUS p6t deluxe v1.

It works! :cool:

Since I had trouble finding any real confirmations on the net whether this would work, or not, here my rig specs and a screenie.

Windows 7 pro 64bit
Asus P6T Deluxe SAS v1
i7 920 @ 3.6ghz
6x8gb CL9-9-9-24 DDR3-1333 triple channel (six 8gb modules G.SKILL RipjawsX F3-10666CL95-8gbxl)
ATI 5870 1gb
Revodrive3 X2 240gb
3 hdd's total 2tb
e-mu 1820 sound card

3501bmq.jpg

BTW, what is a good effective page file size for this amount of ram? I set it to 8~12gb, otherwise it would eat up more than 40gb of my valuable revodrive space.

Unless you think you're actually going to use that much RAM, disabling or setting the page file to a very low value would actually be just fine.

Hello Herbert!

I just stumbled over your post when I was searching Google for ways to make 3x 4GB work in my P6T Deluxe v1. Would you be so kind and post the exact BIOS settings that allowed you to run 48GB in your system? I appreciate your help!

Best regards

autoshot

PS: in case you know German, HERE is a thorough description of my problem ;)

It could be a version of BIOS that autoshot needs..
I have but one question:

WHY?!
lol :D
At least you have plenty RAM for when you migrate to something more modern. ;)
I would make a RAMdisk for the pagefile and make it about 3GB
Also would use some HDD/SSD disk-caching program and use about 3GB per drive.

because the 6GB of system memory I used to have are increasingly becoming used up even without doing a lot of stuff on the PC... And since I already had the 3x 4GB available at home I figured why not give it a try.

At least you have plenty RAM for when you migrate to something more modern.

I just invested about 100 bucks in a second-hand Intel Xeon X5650 and a USB 3.0 expansion card for my aging X58 platform so I didn't have to migrate to something more modern ;)

I would make a RAMdisk for the pagefile and make it about 3GB

I would like to do that, yes. But before I can I need to get the 12GB stable, which is why I'm here.

I would like to do that, yes. But before I can I need to get the 12GB stable, which is why I'm here.

Slop up the timings and increase..IMC which is..oh oh...CPU/VTT? by .03v

also bump RAM voltage up by .03

:D

Set the IMC to 1.34v at least..

I would slop the 3 main timings up by one..and adjust the TRFC to be proper with the slopped main 3 timings.

ex: Stock timings are 9-9-9-27-100
I remember TRFC cannot be set very high with those..so..110 or whatever for TRFC
change to: 10-10-10-30-110

I cannot go higher with the DRAM-Voltage as it is already at 1.64v (next increment would be 1.66v, which might damage the CPU according to Intel).

The rest of your suggestions I will try.

I cannot go higher with the DRAM-Voltage as it is already at 1.64v (next increment would be 1.66v, which might damage the CPU according to Intel).

The rest of your suggestions I will try.

What is the voltage rating of your RAM? I have run into some overclocked DDR3 where it wanted 1.65v to run stable at 1600MHz and some BIOS used these settings by default. If I remember correctly, Intel doesn't recommend 1.65v for the IMC on 1st generation i7 CPUs, as you have alluded to.

I would double check what the actual speed and timings for your kit are, then perhaps work on getting the memory to run stable at a lower speed/timing. The 1st-gen i7s were rated for DDR3-1066, but could run at DDR3-1333, though this often required the slight voltage bump that schmuckley described.

You may also want to try using the alternate slots for the memory. It has been a while since I had my i7-920 build, but the motherboard was finicky about running DDR3-1600 on one set of slots, while they ran on the other set just fine. LGA 1366 was fun like that...

I'm trying to run 3x 4GB Patriot G Series Sector 5 DIMMs, which are rated at DDR3-1600, CL9-9-9-24 @ 1.65v. A quick test yesterday evening revealed that each module passes one Memtest86+ run (with SMT enabled) at DDR3-1333 CL7-7-7-20 @ 1.64v, but as soon as I operate all three modules simultaneously with the exact same settings I get errors. This is also true for DDR3-1066 CL7-7-7-20 1.64v. I even reset my BIOS an re-configured everything from scratch before performing the tests. The modules were put in DIMM_A1, DIMM_B1, and DIMM_C1, which are the recommended slots according to the P6T Deluxe User Manual.
I now increased the QPI/DRAM Core Voltage to 1.325v (all voltages except the DRAM Bus Voltage have been set to "Auto" up to this point) and started another Memtest86+ run at DDR3-1066 CL7-7-7-20 before going to work this morning. I will report results when I get home in the evening.

I'm trying to run 3x 4GB Patriot G Series Sector 5 DIMMs, which are rated at DDR3-1600, CL9-9-9-24 @ 1.65v. A quick test yesterday evening revealed that each module passes one Memtest86+ run (with SMT enabled) at DDR3-1333 CL7-7-7-20 @ 1.64v, but as soon as I operate all three modules simultaneously with the exact same settings I get errors. This is also true for DDR3-1066 CL7-7-7-20 1.64v. I even reset my BIOS an re-configured everything from scratch before performing the tests. The modules were put in DIMM_A1, DIMM_B1, and DIMM_C1, which are the recommended slots according to the P6T Deluxe User Manual.
I now increased the QPI/DRAM Core Voltage to 1.325v (all voltages except the DRAM Bus Voltage have been set to "Auto" up to this point) and started another Memtest86+ run at DDR3-1066 CL7-7-7-20 before going to work this morning. I will report results when I get home in the evening.

Those are single-sided Microns.(I'm pretty sure)
You want to do DDR1333 8-8-8-24 or 9-9-9-27 with them With high trfc (90-110)
You might can get by with 1.55v @ those timings.
That RAM can be juiced up to around 1.86v

Those are single-sided Microns.

I don't know about the manufacturer, but when I was looking beneath the heatspreaders yesterday I think both sides of the PCB were occupied with 8 memory-elements, so I guess the DIMMs are double-sided.

Nevertheless, I really hope cranking up the QPI/ DRAM Core Voltage did the trick because otherwise I'd have to go back to 3x 2GB or invest another ~100-200 bucks in the aging DDR3-Standard...

You want to do DDR1333 8-8-8-24 or 9-9-9-27 with them With high trfc (90-110)

TRFC was 107 in all of the tests if I remember correctly.

EDIT:

ok so here's a little update: running 3x 4GB @ DDR3-1066 CL7-7-7-20 1.64v with the QPI/DRAM Core Voltage increased to 1.325v did not fix the problem either, nor did removing one module from the system for dual-channel operation (the remaining two DIMMs worked perfectly fine for over two years in my AMD rig)

You may also want to try using the alternate slots for the memory. It has been a while since I had my i7-920 build, but the motherboard was finicky about running DDR3-1600 on one set of slots, while they ran on the other set just fine.

when putting the 3 DIMMS in the black (A2, B2, C2) instead of the orange (A1, B1, C1) sockets I did not even get a picture on the monitor :(

the last thing I'm gonna try before I finally give up is running a single memory module at DDR3-1066 CL7-7-7-20-110-2T instead of 7-7-7-20-107-1T, which are the timings the BIOS suggested.

EDIT2:

ok so when I came home about an hour ago memtest showed no errors after 10 passes (again: only one module was installed in A1 running at DDR3-1066, CL7-7-7-20-107-1T, 1.64v DRAM Bus Voltage, 1.325v QPI/ DRAM Core Voltage):

however, as soon as I installed all three DIMMs memtest started showing errors again (settings this time: DDR3-1066, CL8-8-8-24-110-2T, 1.64v, 1.325v).

I will now test the other memory modules to be sure the error is not with them.

Last edited:
the second memory module, which was tested at DDR3-1333 CL9-9-9-24-107-2T 1.64v DRAM Bus Voltage (all other Timing- and Voltage-settings left at Auto) did not show any errors either:

48gb

jesus I recently downgraded from 16gb because i thought even that is too much.

48gb

jesus I recently downgraded from 16gb because i thought even that is too much.

It depends what you do with the ram. As a programmer I just upgraded to 30 GB ( yes I know weird configuration) on x58 because extra ram allows for a larger ram disk (in addition to my SSDs) and larger ram allocated to VMs.

It depends what you do with the ram. As a programmer I just upgraded to 30 GB ( yes I know weird configuration) on x58 because extra ram allows for a larger ram disk (in addition to my SSDs) and larger ram allocated to VMs.

i know all that. i'm just saying even 16gb was a lot for me. i do audio production on my computer(s). not as demanding as running virtual machines but all the VST plugins and instruments do add up.

Ok so since this damn Patriot memory caused me more trouble than I ever thought it would I just bought 3x G.Skill RipJawsX DIMM 8GB (F3-10666CL9S-8GBXL) and what can I say: so far there has not been ONE issue with my system (knock on woods) as opposed to before. I have now started a final memtest-session, which is yet to reach 6 passes, but it's looking good :) Also, I was able to run Prime95 for more than 4 hrs without any instability (I had to stop the tests after 4hrs, however, due to time constraints).

EDIT:

The G.Skills have successfully passed 6 consecutive Memtest-runs. I am now running the AIDA64 Stress Test and if it hasn't aborted after 24h I think I can finally go back to normal with my system :)

EDIT2:

The AIDA64 stresstest did run without a glitch for more than 24 hours. I am now considering my system stable :p

Last edited:
I have the P6T PRO and have 48gb installed. It was showing in the bios and windows and suddenly it says 32gb but benchmarking suites still see my full 48gb. I do seem to recall having issues long ago with a older EVGA not reporting all moduels at boot on a X58

Back