4890 In Stock

275 American dollars. Now I just wonder if that is a official price or if they jumped it up due to be the only ones listing it.

yea look at the price on that sucker. Cant even imagine what the price will be if they start selling the 4890 X2. ooo haa

The date has been moved up to April 2nd I believe, so this doesn't surprise me much. Should be able to find these in stock pretty soon all over. That price however is a bit high though even with the exchange rate isn't it? Comes in at like $277, should be closer to $260.

I"m wondering if I should jump on it anyways, I guess it would be an upgrade from my 8800GS although I really don't game

Considering that companies like jacking up prices before release so people who cnat wait will pay a premium, I'd say that yes, it is too early to tell the price

Considering that companies like jacking up prices before release so people who cnat wait will pay a premium, I'd say that yes, it is too early to tell the price

The msrp of the card is $199 USD. So, no, its not too early. The first prices will just be a little jacked up.

The msrp of the card is $199 USD. So, no, its not too early. The first prices will just be a little jacked up.

Again, refer to the 4850 or 4870 launch where the prices released at first on the website links were way above and beyond what the card actually did cost on the week of release (which were close to MSRP) in the major retailers like Newegg

You're going to find jacked up prices on retailers that want the publicity before the actual release + on foreign shops especially

Again, refer to the 4850 or 4870 launch where the prices released at first on the website links were way above and beyond what the card actually did cost on the week of release (which were close to MSRP) in the major retailers like Newegg
I remember the 8800GT launch, they were supposed to MSRP for $199 but by the end of 2007 they were approaching over $300. Then the 4800's launched six months later and stayed faithfully at MSRP ($199 and $299). I only remember this because of how surprising it was to see a video card actually sell for the suggested price. In fact they actually had MIR's the week of launch, the 4850 was down to $150 AMIR within days.

So wait, judging by the price, is this any different from the 4870?

The only facts we have now is that it overclocks like a dream. Its base clock is 850, and there are reports it can go far higher then that.

There is a rumor that it is 6% faster clock for clock compared to a 4870. SP Multi anyone?

The only facts we have now is that it overclocks like a dream. Its base clock is 850, and there are reports it can go far higher then that.

There is a rumor that it is 6% faster clock for clock compared to a 4870. SP Multi anyone?
how is that a fact though?

The fact that there's been numerous "leaks" showing different users hitting 1000 or higher on stock voltage and cooler... and some have retail cards in their hands already
well I guess I dont consider anything a real fact until a reputable site has the card or its officially stated by the company.

well I guess I dont consider anything a real fact until a reputable site has the card or its officially stated by the company.

It's your perogative whether you want to wait or not, but if the majority of users that do have it are suggesting incredible clocking, it's a far more likely outcome than this being just a factory OC'd 4870

For that matter, i don't think ATI would waste all these months developing RV790 if there weren't tangible benefits

http://www.fpslabs.com/news/latest/hd4890-first-1ghz-graphics-card

It's your perogative whether you want to wait or not, but if the majority of users that do have it are suggesting incredible clocking, it's a far more likely outcome than this being just a factory OC'd 4870

For that matter, i don't think ATI would waste all these months developing RV790 if there weren't tangible benefits

http://www.fpslabs.com/news/latest/hd4890-first-1ghz-graphics-card
well I was just making a general statement about unreleased hardware.

Right, either way though, if the date got bumped up to April 2nd, we're only a week off from knowing

Apparently review sites got their cards today as well, so I wouldn't be surprised if we get some concrete leaks soon

I'm not saying that you should or should not believe these reports but when a review site does review it, generally, they will test one card so that would be a sample size of one. No reason to accept their results as "fact" either

the price is not jacked up, this is Canadian we're talking about

you don't simply calculate the exchange rate, everything seems to cost more here period.

you can easily add 15-20% on top of the exchange rate to any Item to get the Canadian price :p

I'm not saying that you should or should not believe these reports but when a review site does review it, generally, they will test one card so that would be a sample size of one. No reason to accept their results as "fact" either
I am mainly referring to the specs of the card though.

I still don't see how AMD/ATI is pulling off this GPU clock speed miracle considering the limited headroom of most 4870's to date... I mean they're still 55nm parts, what changed? Guess we'll know soon enough.

I still don't see how AMD/ATI is pulling off this GPU clock speed miracle considering the limited headroom of most 4870's to date... I mean they're still 55nm parts, what changed? Guess we'll know soon enough.

well if the rumors are true then they have divided up the power bus and done some shader enhancements as well as some other optimizations.

if this holds true Nvidia must be squirming in their seats right about now,

Well if they price them at $250-ish they had better be as fast as a lot of people have been claiming, i.e. as much as 20% faster than the 4870s 1GB... Since you can get one of those for $175 right now (with a game!). Y'know, $250 being a 40% price hike.

Real question is whether they'll start to drop in price w/MIRs and stuff after the initial launch, at which point you'd have to guess they would phase out the 48xx line, or if they'll keep producing both...

Back