4870x2 reviews beating gtx280 sli

Well if you have $549 to blow on a video card...I would think you could blow 1399 on a dell monitor. I find a 24' to be quite nice. If I want to play on a bigger monitor I'll just hook this thing up to the Plasma.

haha yeah, but I have to say I never had any issues w/ my 280, it was a beast of a card and ate everything I threw @ it....I just wanted to lengthen my personal e-p33n, by going quad fire in a SFF :D

Well if you loved the 280 so much why'd you switch? You should update your mods-rigs section at evga forums...it's showing that you still have a gtx280 set up :p. We all know you got more muscle in that system now ;)

So w/ power play, do you have 1 gpu clocked @ 750 and the other @ 500? I can't figure out why 2 of more cores are @ stock clocks and 2 are @ 5xx?

Well at least they aren't downclocking like the 280s were at launch...that would affect performance in games. It's only a power play issue thank goodness

Lets keep this simple. If your looking for the absolute most powerfull SINGLE card to play at the the highest resolution with max in game setting and max IQ(aa/AF), the X2 is THE card to get. PERIOD.

However, if you allrdy have a GTX280 or even a GTX260...getting another one and sliing them would be great too.

Having said that, all GFX solutions have thier setbacks. Nothing is perfect in this world unfortunately :)

Well if you have $549 to blow on a video card...I would think you could blow 1399 on a dell monitor. I find a 24' to be quite nice. If I want to play on a bigger monitor I'll just hook this thing up to the Plasma.

Umm no? lol Seriously though 549 bucks is one thing , 1399 dollars is a complete other. I can resell my old video card and return some of the profit but I still eat 300+ dollars on the 4870 X2 . I doubt I'll be able to get a 30 inch for atleast another year , even if I save well.

24" monitor will stress a 4870x2...all a 24" monitor means is that you will have more head room to turn up the eye candy....and for when newer games come out. Honestly I don't think a 30" monitor is that beneficial when you could get a similar 50" samsung 1080p plasma monitor..which would be a better investment...for $2200-$3000.

Well if I update my Mods Rigs on EVGA, then I won't qualify for the $1000 drawing ;)

I was happy w/ my 280, but I wanted to try a multi gpu solution in a SFF...also I'm still feeling the burns of being @ss raped by nvidia for being an early adopter

24" monitor will stress a 4870x2...all a 24" monitor means is that you will have more head room to turn up the eye candy....and for when newer games come out. Honestly I don't think a 30" monitor is that beneficial when you could get a similar 50" samsung 1080p plasma monitor..which would be a better investment...for $2200-$3000.

A Dell 3007 costs $1199 at the Dell website as of NOW, and you can search ebay for a discount coupon. coupons+sales offers usually put the price at $1099. On ebay they are south of $900 used and never reach north of $1100 brand new.

So they are a LOT cheaper than 1080p plasmas, certainly cheaper than Kuro models for sure:p. The experience of desktop work and games on 2560x1600 resolution on a S-IPS panel is MILES ahead of anything 24" monitors or 1080p plasmas can offer.

A Dell 3007 costs $1199 at the Dell website as of NOW, and you can search ebay for a discount coupon. coupons+sales offers usually put the price at $1099. On ebay they are south of $900 used and never reach north of $1100 brand new.

So they are a LOT cheaper than 1080p plasmas, certainly cheaper than Kuro models for sure:p. The experience of desktop work and games on 2560x1600 resolution on a S-IPS panel is MILES ahead of anything 24" monitors or 1080p plasmas can offer.

qft, I can't imagine gaming on anything else other than 2560 x 1600, It's a whole new gaming experience

For work and games maybe...not for HD television or Blu-Ray movies. I think the whole visual quality aspect is a bit out of hand. I mean you go to a movie theater and that isn't HD like quality when it's projected on the screen, yet it's a lot more enjoyable than watching the same movie on a 50" plasma that has better clarity.

Well if I update my Mods Rigs on EVGA, then I won't qualify for the $1000 drawing ;)

I was happy w/ my 280, but I wanted to try a multi gpu solution in a SFF...also I'm still feeling the burns of being @ss raped by nvidia for being an early adopter

Blah, I think their contest is a hoax...it's not even a random drawing...just a ploy to get more traffic IMO.

Anyone tried it (4870 X2) with FSX?

Neither review included FSX as a benchmark... :(

From what I've heard, it sucks for SFX. It didn't improve performance over an old gen gfx card (don't remember what it was called).

:(

Too bad. I didn't try GTX280 over my current card - 8800GTX. Every frame in FSX is important to me. So, if I got for about ~37fps with my card, how much could I have with GTX280?

Best regards

The Hd4850x2 looks like a good option for a single slot MB too.

FSX simply does not do well on ati cards in general. I think the ati driver team focuses more on mainstream games like Grid, Cod4, AOC, etc. I wouldn't consider fsx a mainstream game.

Hey guys, just a quick question and I apologize if it's been answered elsewhere already. I believe I read that the 8.54 beta drivers that everyone seems to love are just for Vista correct? I'd like to buy a X2, (just installed a PSU more than capable of powering it) but I'm still using XP. I'm under the impression that most of the other drivers are buggy at best? Any news when the next driver release will be that includes XP? Thanks.

Hey guys, just a quick question and I apologize if it's been answered elsewhere already. I believe I read that the 8.54 beta drivers that everyone seems to love are just for Vista correct? I'd like to buy a X2, (just installed a PSU more than capable of powering it) but I'm still using XP. I'm under the impression that most of the other drivers are buggy at best? Any news when the next driver release will be that includes XP? Thanks.

That driver doesn't work for Windows XP as far as I know. However I have had no problems with the 8.8 Release Drivers for Windows XP and I think others have generally reported success with them.

That driver doesn't work for Windows XP as far as I know. However I have had no problems with the 8.8 Release Drivers for Windows XP and I think others have generally reported success with them.

Thanks for the info Dan. Another quick question. What was the final verdict as far as all that previous debate with using an X2 with a 32bit OS? I'm using 32bit XP with 4 gigs of RAM. (only 3.25 shows however). I respect your opinion so in the end, what was the general consensus? Is it stupid to buy an X2 with only a 32-bit OS because of RAM limitations. Should I finally just buy Vista 64? Thanks again.

Thanks for the info Dan. Another quick question. What was the final verdict as far as all that previous debate with using an X2 with a 32bit OS? I'm using 32bit XP with 4 gigs of RAM. (only 3.25 shows however). I respect your opinion so in the end, what was the general consensus? Is it stupid to buy an X2 with only a 32-bit OS because of RAM limitations. Should I finally just buy Vista 64? Thanks again.

You happen to be in luck today. I've got a 4870 X2 and Windows XP 32bit installed on my other box. I'll fire it up and tell you what it says.

I've got 4GB of RAM in that box and Windows is showing 2.99GB of RAM installed.

I've got 4GB of RAM in that box and Windows is showing 2.99GB of RAM installed.

Very cool of you to do that. So I'm looking at losing about 1/4 gig of addressable ram by upgrading to the X2. I can probably live with that. I know some people were saying that the X2 would eat up 2 gigs of Ram space on a 32-bit system but it appears that's not the case.

Anyway, it's not a money issue at all, but I still haven't found a compelling reason to upgrade to Vista. Still waiting (and hoping really) for that killer app to make me say, "Hot damn, I need Dx10 right now!" Unfortunately that hasn't happened yet.

Either way, thanks for the info Dan. You rule.

Very cool of you to do that. So I'm looking at losing about 1/4 gig of addressable ram by upgrading to the X2. I can probably live with that. I know some people were saying that the X2 would eat up 2 gigs of Ram space on a 32-bit system but it appears that's not the case.

Anyway, it's not a money issue at all, but I still haven't found a compelling reason to upgrade to Vista. Still waiting (and hoping really) for that killer app to make me say, "Hot damn, I need Dx10 right now!" Unfortunately that hasn't happened yet.

Either way, thanks for the info Dan. You rule.

You're welcome.

Alright, list updated, finally [H] has made a review:

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTU0OSwxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

The review seems a bit shotty at best IMO. You'd have to understand their methodology I suppose to make sense of their numbers...if you glance through it you might actually believe a single gtx280 performs up to par and even surpasses a single 4870x2 in Grid. I'd take it with a grain of salt. We all know that a single gtx280 will not perform up to par with 4870CF or a single 4870x2 at 2560x1600 resolution at box 4xaa/16xaf max settings in Grid. I also dont' like how the 4870CF was left out of the review...this made the review feel incomplete.

While I would normally recommend [H] as a good review site...this particular review really doesn't make a good comparison, as the fps numbers of the 4870x2 are pretty much skewered by the settings they are using. In all fairness it could be also an issue with drivers or their test system in general. I'd re-read other reviews on the first page, like techreport, or driverheaven for some realistic comparisons. Also the power draw at system load is obviously incorrect for the 4870x2 in [H]'s review, making it a bit hard to take this review seriously.

I already posted a screen shot in that thread.

However, since I can't find that thread, Ill just post it again.

memorykk3.jpg

Oh, here it is:
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1334980&page=8

With 4GB and Windows XP Professional 32bit I only had 2.99GB of RAM left after installing the 4870 X2. Not sure why you'd have more especially since that particular machine doesn't have much in the way of devices installed.

While the article itself does give a balanced view, I feel like the summary paragraph used in the front page gives quite a negative impression of the 4870 X2. At least that's the feeling I got when I first read the front page.

Back