4870x2 resolution wont go higher than 1280x800 on 30" monitor

zrabbit

n00b
I have a 30" screen, and 4870x2 card and the resolution is stuck at 1280x800. I've tried everything I can possibly think of including using powerstrip to force the resolution.
I put a 3870 card in the same machine and same monitor and it works fine at 2560x1600.
I went through every option in the CCC with no luck. Without the ATI driver installed, the windows driver will let me do the 1920x1200 or whatever it is, but then when I install ATI driver it locks it at 1280x800. Any attempts to make the resolution higher only result in making it span the desktop around.
This is driving me crazy.. Any input would be greatly appreciated

ABIT IX38 board, Diamond 4870x2 card
Vista 64 (although I booted it into windows XP and it has the same issue)

Thanks!

Check if you are using a DVI-D Dual Link cable (second from bottom, the black text is hard to see):

277px-DVI_Connector_Types.svg.png

another silly question, did you have newest CCC?

coz i have friend has that problem and beg me to drive 30 mins to his house and fix it when he first got his 30", so i just download newest driver.. and it is done

I know it sounds silly, but are you sure you're using a DVI-D cable on the 30" monitor?

I agree, I once accidently tried using a single link DVI cable on my 30' lcd and it exhibited behavior exactly like the OP is describing.

I agree, I once accidently tried using a single link DVI cable on my 30' lcd and it exhibited behavior exactly like the OP is describing.

Yea but it works fine with the other video card.

Did you try the other DVI output OP?

I said in my post that I have a 3870 card in the machine and it works fine in 2560x1600 which means the cable is fine. I bought a 4870x2 card and put it in to replace the 3870 and it WILL NOT go above 1280x800.. I have posted on other forums including the AMD ones, I have opened a ticket with Diamond and they tell me to RMA the card , but it works fine on a VGA monitor, and another LCD monitor i have, even in 1920x1200 and 1600x1200 it just refuses to work on my 30" which is the whole reason I wanted to upgrade to the 4870x2 !@! Ugh..

For the record, I did try another DVI cable, and I did try the newest CCC and I did try both ports on the card

Yeah but they want me to pay for the shipping there AND the shipping back.. Who does that?? I really don't think there's anything wrong with the card but I guess I'll send it back

that does NOT sound like a broken card. I wouldnt RMA it. thats a software problem. Here's my recommendations:
1) format windows if you can.
2) put the card in another PC. If you can't...
3) Get BartPE or something like that and make a boot CD that lets you load windows drivers. Slipstream the 4870x2 drivers on the CD, and boot off the disk and see if 2560x1600 works. Google is your friend for finding info on how to do this, google bart pe. Bart PE is basically a windows xp that runs off a CD. You can put drivers and programs on it to diagnose things like this.

Them saying RMA the card sounds like the standard robotic response to a problem they don't instantly know the solution to. It definitely sounds like a driver issue of some sort. What monitor do you have?

I have two 30" monitors and I've experienced this once a looooong time ago on a 7800gtx. It was just a driver issue.

I would uninstall the drivers you have, run driver cleaner, then install the newest drivers with the x2 in the machine. There may be some driver problems just swapping cards out.

Was this issue resolved? I just picked up an HD4870X2 and upgraded from 2 4850's and am having the same problem. I have 2 30" HP LP3065's and only 1 will goto 2560X1600. I tried uninstalling and re-installing, but no luck.

This is an ASUS Tri-Fan model. What's goin on?

It might be the case that only one of the two DVI sockets on the back of the graphics card (assuming the card has 2 DVI sockets) is a dual-link socket (with the other being only single-link and not capable of 2560x1600).

Alternatively, in the past I've heard of people only being able to use 1280x800 resolution on their new 30in monitor until they installed a driver for their monitor - by default Windows was thinking the monitor's native res was 1280 rather than 2560. For example folks who bought the Hazro HZ30WB had to download and install the driver for the Dell 3007WFP-HC, which used the same panel and was therefore compatible. Note that this only applied to people who used Windows XP.

Not sure if either of these two possibilities is likely to apply to either you or the original poster but I thought I might as well mention them on the off-chance.

you have a 30 foot lcd? damn, how much did that run you? :p

I checked the specs on the AMD-ATI website and it listed the spec for the GPU as having dual DVI-D connections with 2560X1600 capability. Now, if ASUS differed from the spec on that, then I would really like to know why, though I doubt that is the case.

I tried using the driver sweeper program, but no luck on that either. If I swap monitor cables at the card connections, then the resolution swaps on the monitors as well. So, it could be that the connection is not DVI-D, or it could just be a driver issue. I'm leaning towards driver issue still, as I don't believe ASUS would do such a stupid thing as to limit one of the connections to lower resolutions. I could be wrong though-

I really do not want to re-install Vista, but if I need to i'll try it.

Just reinstalled Vista X64 SP1, completely clean install. Still have the same issue!! This is making me mad...

Anyone resolve this issue? It doesn't make sense..

Have you tried the card in another computer? You can save yourself hours, or even days, by doing just that.

I had this same symptom with my x2,after working proper for about 5 months when I installed the 9.3 driver set I didn't like the 3d bug issue returning that wasn't present with 9.2 so uninstalled 9.3 back to 9.2 but netted the no driver installed error tried to install 9.1 with the same no driver installed error,back to 9.3 which would install but the resolution was restricted like you have

was a 6 month old install anyhow,a fresh x64 install fixed the issue,rather irritating none the less

Well, I've tried everything I know to do.

1. Reinstalled Vista X64 SP1 on a completely new partition. Installed all windows updates and tried installing the Catalyst 9.3 drivers, same problem.

2. Tried using the ASUS supplied drivers, same problem.

3. Tried using Catalyst 9.2 drivers, same problem.

4. Tried changing any and all settings in CCC that I could think of. No solution.

I did the driver cleaning between each install, and tried installing over top of previous drivers as well, just to see what would happen. I can't think of anything else to try. I'll have to install one of my HD4850's just to have a second monitor at 2560X1600. That's a bunch of crap.

I've got a P45 mobo, so having the HD4850 will cause the cards to work in 8x mode, which means i'll have to take the HD4850 out everytime I want to play a game. This sucks-

Anyone else ever resolve the issue using a different technique?

I have to take the 4850 out because the X16 slots run at x8 speeds when both slots are used. I would think that would hinder the 4870X2 and defeating the purpose of having the 4870X2 with the 4850 in CrossfireX.

I have done:

Updated BIOS on Mobo
Tried default configuration on BIOS, and tried multiple different settings.
Clean install of Vista x64
Clean install of Windows 7
Tried 4GB of ram instead of 8GB

I'm having the same exact problem. No 2560X1600 on secondary connection/monitor. I've got the 4850 in there now with the 4870X2 running with my Seasonic 550W PSU. I doubt it will last long with all this wattage being used. Anyone want to put in any bets on how long this PSU will survive? :p

well the question becomes, what monitor do you have?

What is Vista recognizing the monitor as?

The monitor drivers have been installed. They both are listed as HP LP3065 and even lists the correct max resolution of 2560x1600 on both monitors under the Digital Panel attributes in the CCC. I really am led to believe it's just really crappy, half-baked drivers. I've never had so much trouble with a video card before.

.....on both monitors.

Say that again?

You are trying to push two 30" monitors via 1 4870x2 @ 2560x1600 EACH?

Griff805 said:
I have a 30" screen, and 4870x2 card and the resolution is stuck at 1280x800. I've tried everything I can possibly think of including using powerstrip to force the resolution

So which is it, one or two monitors? :confused::confused::confused:

There is a reason I ask.

If you are running two monitors, then the answers here were given for a single monitor solution.

Are you using Hydravision at all?

Please tell me that you are not connecting TWO DVI-D of the 4870x2 too the one 30" HP monitor?!?!?!?!?

figgie-

I am trying to use (2) 30" Monitors at a resolution of 2560X1600 on each monitor. So a total resolution of 5120x3200. I can do this without a problem on a single HD4850. The HD4870X2 doesn't seem to want to though.

Your second quote, is not me, you quoted the OP. Obviously you only need (1) DVI-D cable to run a 30" monitor at 2560X1600. So that is why I have (2) DVI-D cables, one running to one monitor, then another to the second monitor.

Griff,

crap sorry. Did not see you were diff than OP.

Did you disable the crossfire setting with in CC for the 4870x2 and try it that way? (Ai setting).

Back