4870x2 owner upgrading to AMD 6950

reaper12

2[H]4U
Ok, I know there was thread earlier asking was it worth it to upgrade from the 4870x2 to any of the 69xx series. Well, I went through a lot of thinking there recently and decided I would actually update my system this year. I have the 4870x2 for two years and when I heard that the next generation cards would be released until 2012, I decided now was the time to spend some cash.

The problem now was picking which card, the three contenders for me were the 570 GTX, the 6970 or the 6950. All three great cards. I reckon I was one of the few people on the forum who was quite happy with the new cards released by AMD :) I think their price/performance level is amazing. Anyway, choosing between the 3 was hard, really hard, this round I had decided to switch to Nvidia, but, when I saw the hardocp review of the 69xx series cards I began to have doubts. I decided then the 6970 was the one for me, but when I went to put through my order I changed my mind completely and went for the 6950. I play at 1920*1080 and think that this card will overclock more than the 6970 and suit my gaming and my wallet better :)

It's basically putting my money where my mouth is, I have said that I think that the performance of these cards will improve when a proper driver comes out from them.

Ok, I haven't included any unboxing pictures, or even pictures of the card. There are loads of those pictures out there!! First impressions on opening the box were Nice card. Feels very reasssuringly solid. Install was a breeze, just uninstalled old drivers, turned off computer, put in card, install 12.a hotfix drivers and reboot.

Now I only have this card about 2 hours, but, so far no problems. Image quality is superb. For those people that use their TV's as computer monitors I think you will be amazed at the difference. Been able to connect to my LX5090 directly using HDMI and not through a DVD/hdmi dongle is great. This is just my impressions coming from a 4870x2 and it's all good so far.

Noise while idle, well, compared to the x2, well it's virtually silent :D Guess I didn't know how noisey the x2 was!! Because I can't hear the 6950 at all. Now noise doesn't bother me too much, generally can't hear it above the games I play anyway, but, the silence at idle now is really nice.

Game performance, well, I am very happy with it. I have tried AVP, Metro 2033, Counter strike source and fallout new vegas so far. Very, very smooth in all these games. I didn't measure any FPS in any of these, but, it has no problems running these games at all. Even tried Metro 2033 with MLAA and it looks great. Nosie levels are hard to judge, but, it's way quieter than the 4870x2 when playing games.

I always tried the uningine benchmark. Here is my results.

benchmark.jpg

Not sure how good or bad that is lol.

But, I am delighted with my purchase so far. And I would recommend anyone with a 4870x2 to consider upgrading.

Due to a mistake by the courier, the shop I bought the card off is sending me out another one because the first one went missing. My dilema now is do I keep the second 6950? lol.

Any questions, just ask. :)

"Edit- I had a VERY bad day yesterday. I screwed up and am sorry. Please don't jump on me and screw up Reaper's thread. MY 6950 is going to be shipped back to me. Hopefully before 2011."

You could send it my way...

I'm glad you are happy!

How quiet is it at load? And have you loaded CC and the ahem, hotfix?

Last edited:
I am using the following drivers,

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/AMDCatalyst1012ahotfix.aspx

If you have a case with good cooling I can't see temps or noise been any sort of issue. My case has fantastic cooling, especially around the video card. After gaming for hours last night the temps never went above 70 degrees so the fan never really got loud. But as I said, compared to my 4870x2 it's virtually silent!!

The second 6950 arrived this morning so now I am wondering do I open it and keep it or send it back.

Reaper12,

Glad to hear you're liking the card! I debated for some time whether or not to buy one from this release cycle because the die shrink to 32nm didn't occur, but I ended up buying a 6970 and I am very happy with it.

Reaper12,

Glad to hear you're liking the card! I debated for some time whether or not to buy one from this release cycle because the die shrink to 32nm didn't occur, but I ended up buying a 6970 and I am very happy with it.

I decided to upgrade when I heard about the delays until 2012 for the die shrink to 28nm. Yeah, they really are amazing cards, much happier with the performance and features than I thought I would be. Glad you are happy with yours too :)

Which brand did you get? XFX? Is the CF bridge that came with it long enough to allow you to have an empty slot between the cards?

Which brand did you get? XFX? Is the CF bridge that came with it long enough to allow you to have an empty slot between the cards?

I hear they're also granting returns if you're dyslexic and read "XFX" backwards as "XFX". You may want to take advantage of that.

I got HIS, cheapest :) Since they are all reference cards at the moment. I haven't checked the CF bridge to see how long it is, will check and let you know later!!

Thanks! My MB has three PCIe true x16 slots. My understanding is running these in CF right next to each other increases both the temps and noise.

Eventually I'll have the XFX. Hopefully this year. God what a screw up!
The only reason I decided on that flavor was the warranty. But the Sapphire 4870 the 6950 is replacing was the only video card I've ever had that actually went tits up.

The crossfire bridge I got with the HIS is only the width of one slot, so you would have to have the two cards next to each other. I am sure a longer CF bridge is pretty cheap?

Still debating whether I should put in the second 6950 or not!! I would love to try out the CF just to see what the noise and heat are like when they are side by side.

Back