4870x2 High Pitch Noise

ans136

n00b
I recently put together an i7 build with a 4870 x2. Everything was fine at startup and even through installation. Vista 64 runs perfectly with no BSOD/errors. I installed the latest catalyst drivers. Everytime the card goes under heavy 3D load, there is a annoying hissing/buzzing noise. The games run fine and there are no crashes.

I had a brand new PC&C 750w PSU, which I thought was the problem. I since replaced it with a Corsair 750w PSU, which I thought would solve the issue. The buzzing is still there and I am not sure if its the Video Card itself or I need a more powerful PSU.

I checked to see if it was the fans causing the noise, but infact it wasnt. The wierd noises sound like a high pitch buzz and it only seems to happen under heavy GPU load.
Anyone have any suggestions as to what could be the cause of this noise?

Specs:

Core i7 920
Nexus FLC-3000 HSF
Asus P6T Deluxe
Patriot 6GB ddr1600
Sapphire 4870 x2
WD6401 AALS x 2 (Matrix Raid 0)
Corsair 750w PSU
Sata DVD-RW Drive
Antec NineHundred Case

No it is more like an elecronic squeel. The fan is perfectly fine and I have it running at 45%. It sounds like an electronic hiss coming from the Video Card. Like a high pitched buzz.

I had the same problem with a pair of HD4870s on my Thermaltake Toughpower 750 watt PSU. Anytime I'd fire up a 3D game such as Warhammer, you could hear an electronic buzz come from both cards. I ended up swapping out my PSU to a Corsair 1000watt PSU and the electronic buzz is gone. I'm not sure if it would the same fix for you, but it worked with my setup.

Mine actually has the same issue except it's really only audible when the case door is opened. I read somewhere that the noise comes from a particular electrical component on the card (no, it's not the fan), but the term for it escapes me at the moment.

Edit: OK, looks like the noise is probably coming from the inductors on the card (the coil looking dealies).

Mine does that very slightly. I didn't notice it at all with the stock cooler making a racket but now that it's watercooled, I do notice it if I'm paying attention.

I can verify its not coming from the fans since both of my ATI cards are on water. :)
And yes, I think its the VRU's (Voltage Regulating Unit) or the inductor as Heatsinker points out. When running GPUz I noticed 26.1A each card was using fluxed a bit during gaming, but its been stable with the new PSU.

Don't two CF 4870 video cards, draw more power then a 4870 x2?

I thought 750w would be suffecient for a 4870x2 and a i7 920 (4Core 130W).

I notice a faint humming sound in Stalker Shadow of Chernobyl during the in game menu. In all other
games It is not audible. That is very weird indeed.

Im contemplating RMAing the GPU back to Newegg. I already tried RMAing the PSU, with no luck. What do you guys think?

Mine did that until I enabled v-sync in games (or disabled can't remember), so give that a try.

I've had a similar problem. I had a HIS 4870x2 with exactly the same problem with a corsair 750w PSU. Just had the card RMA'd and getting a replacement soon. I'm hoping it was an issue with the GPU and not the PSU...I'll let you know how it went when i get my replacement.

Noise is most likely from the PSU. Pretty sure it isn't hurting anything but for some reason newer cards like to make corsair psu's squeal a bit. My guess is some cards put out an unusual amount of noise that causes a coil or cap in the PSU to whine a bit. Caps and coils are always vibrating, just that the frequency is outside the range of human hearing most of the time. My 4850 does it on my 650 tx a tiny bit, and on my old antec truepower 430 alot when I was trying to troubleshoot a stability issue (turned out to be a bum card). I happen to like my corsair warranty so I'm not going to open up the psu to try and throw epoxy/hot glue on all the caps and coils I see to get rid of the noise.

*edit: seems related to vsync, since it quiets down the noise to the point it's not noticable. I've noticed this the most in rthdribl, in window mode where vsync doesn't work, it happens regardless of framerate. Zooming in on the balls can sometimes cause it to get louder or quieter. Very wierd, but most likely harmless.

Yah, this issue seems to be common on nvidia cards as well. If it's really loud, I'd RMA it. Personally my card doesn't do it in far cry 2, crysis, cod4, and grid. The noise is only a bit audible in stalker shadow of chernobyl for some reason.

Noise is most likely from the PSU. Pretty sure it isn't hurting anything but for some reason newer cards like to make corsair psu's squeal a bit. My guess is some cards put out an unusual amount of noise that causes a coil or cap in the PSU to whine a bit. Caps and coils are always vibrating, just that the frequency is outside the range of human hearing most of the time. My 4850 does it on my 650 tx a tiny bit, and on my old antec truepower 430 alot when I was trying to troubleshoot a stability issue (turned out to be a bum card). I happen to like my corsair warranty so I'm not going to open up the psu to try and throw epoxy/hot glue on all the caps and coils I see to get rid of the noise.

*edit: seems related to vsync, since it quiets down the noise to the point it's not noticable. I've noticed this the most in rthdribl, in window mode where vsync doesn't work, it happens regardless of framerate. Zooming in on the balls can sometimes cause it to get louder or quieter. Very wierd, but most likely harmless.

Be intersting to see if you're right about the PSU making a noise. I should have a replacement Sapphire 4870x2 coming tomorrow. When checking out the noise I previously had on my HIS card, i spend many an hour with my head in my case trying to pinpoint the Inoise. i was almost sure it was coming from the GPU.

Tomorrow's the big day! To be truthful, I'm half expecting it to be the PSU after all of this RMA'ing hassle.

I'll let you know how I get on. :)

Just a quick word on the 6+2 pin pci-e connectors on the corsair 750, logic would suggest that with the clip on the connector facing you, the +2 pins go to the left (as then the clip appears to be central on the connector - it looks out of center if you use it just as a 6pin) I assume this is correct? I'm not electronically litterate so I wouldn't really know what the consequences of getting it the other way round would be!

Cheers,

Dave

It is definitely the GPU. I originally built my rig with a PC&C Silencer 750W and thought it was the PSU. I exchanged it for a corsair 750TX, and still the same issue. I know for sure its providing enough juice for the system, as the voltages stay steady under load and during gaming. The noise is specifically being generated from the GPU, as i have taken a cardboard tube and put my ear to every component with it, concluding the noise coming from the GPU.

It is definitely not a Vsync issue, I have both played with it on and off. The noise is generated under any kind of heavy load on the GPU, regardless of FPS or VSync, which is only 60fps linked to my 24" LCD at 60HZ and 1920x1200.

I'd try a non-Seasonic, non-Corsair PSU before putting it on the GPU. I'm just really doubtful that it's the GPU, given my last few weeks of trying to diagnose my 620HX's squealing problem.

I understand what your saying but, it is highly unlikely that two different major brand's of PSUs are producing noises. I know they are both single rail setups but, they provide 60A on their +12V line. That is more then ample for the 52A~(25A-26A Each) draw from both GPUs that I have seen under load.

It is definitely the GPU. I originally built my rig with a PC&C Silencer 750W and thought it was the PSU. I exchanged it for a corsair 750TX, and still the same issue. I know for sure its providing enough juice for the system, as the voltages stay steady under load and during gaming. The noise is specifically being generated from the GPU, as i have taken a cardboard tube and put my ear to every component with it, concluding the noise coming from the GPU.

It is definitely not a Vsync issue, I have both played with it on and off. The noise is generated under any kind of heavy load on the GPU, regardless of FPS or VSync, which is only 60fps linked to my 24" LCD at 60HZ and 1920x1200.

I sure hope you're right (for my sake :p ) My new card should be here within the next 18 hours or so, I'll let you know how i got on!

Just had my Sapphire 4870x2 arrive, and can confirm the noise is there.I guess i'll just have to put up with it. Cant really be bothered to go through RMA'ing it again, I'd rather get some gaming going!

Might see if i can try the card in my mates pc, he has a PSU capable of powering it, and its not a corsair!

Just had my Sapphire 4870x2 arrive, and can confirm the noise is there.I guess i'll just have to put up with it. Cant really be bothered to go through RMA'ing it again, I'd rather get some gaming going!

Might see if i can try the card in my mates pc, he has a PSU capable of powering it, and its not a corsair!

Yeah I wish you did that before RMAing your card - I have a feeling your original card was just fine :(

Oh wow, that sucks man. I really dont think its the PSU. I have tried two different brands without any success.

I just ordered myself the tri-fan cooled Asus 4870x2 to replace my Saphire.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121294

Lets see if the change of manufacturer makes a difference. I will keep you posted.

Been interesting to see what happens. I went from HIS to Sapphire and still got the noise...but ya never know!

Just sat here and had a thought... im using the pci-e connectors from my psu to connect my 4870x2, sapphire included 4pin molex > pice adapters (6 and 8). I know its a LONG shot, but none the less, I'm curious whether hooking it up that way may help...

Dont really understand PSU's enough to know if the above statement is anywhere near valid... :p

Any thoughts?

Doubt it's the connectors. I tried this when my RMA 620HX came in - used the 2 6-pin connectors from the RMA unit to connect into my old 620HX. No difference.

I also was reading that it could be due to "dirty power". So I took my entire rig and plug it in different outlets around the house...still the buzzing noise existed.

Another thing I tried was to install 8.12 drivers, still no go.

I really don't think its your PSU Dave, I had a PC&C 750w before getting this, but the noise was still the same and just as loud.

I really think that Saphire and HIS are having quality control issues with their PCB components, but this new Asus card I ordered doesn't use the traditional 4870 x2 coolers.

So lets see what happens.

all the stock cooler 4870x2 are the same. all built by (sapphire?) i think.

If you're sure it's the card and not the psu, see if there's any exposed caps on that particular board. Stick a finger on the caps and see if that doesn't quiet it down any. If it does it'll be an easy fix with some bluetac mushed on there. I doubt it's any of the coils on the card, they use epoxy encapsulated ones these days which I would think would fix coil whine from the cards, you never know though.

Going to test the card in my old pc later, see if istill get a whine. THe old pc has 550w psu, with an athlon 64 3500cpu, im hoping the psu will be ok...

As always, i'll let you know how it went!

When I had a 4870x2 I had this problem with a Corsair 1000HX and Seasonic S12 600w

I know its not the motherboard. This is an Asus P6T and I even tried another video card on it, with no hiss as at all.

Dito, I'm using a gigabyte ex58-ud5 and have tried running my old 6800gt with no hiss at all. I'm just trying to set up an OS on my old pc so i can run up my 4870x2 in it to see if it will still hiss in there. I'll keep you posted

I think i cans safely say its the graphics card making the noise. Just powered the card up in my old system:

amd athlon 64 3500
msi k8n diamond motherboard
antec true power 550w psu
1gb corsair ddr 400 ram.

Played CoD2 at 1680 x 1050 and noise if most definitely there.

I had my suspicions that the sapphire replacement card would be noisy when i received it as the box didn't look in the best of conditions, and one i got in the box, the anti static bag looked like crumpled and used, also the paper cd walletts were crumpled up. I'm thinking somebody RMA'd the card before i had it for this very reason...

Dont really want to have to RMA the card again, so im thinking i might just put up with it. Atleast we now know that in my case it was the card and not a PSU issue...

Hope this has helped some of you!

Back