4870x2 and 1080p monitor: some games refuse to play in 1080p; always in 1080i?

Harb

Limp Gawd
So I've been having this problem for a while now in a few games, notably Far Cry 2 and World in Conflict.

I'll start the game, and I get a ton of interlacing and the game looks like garbage. Going into the in-game settings and trying to force it to 60hz refresh rate does nothing; it still displays in 1080i. With FC2 I used to be able to fix it by restarting the game and re-applying 60hz settings, but World in Conflict won't cooperate at all. Spore used to give me issues, but at least that game told me exactly what was going on; sometimes it would default to 1920x1080@30hz and simply setting it to 1920x1080@60hz would fix the issue every time. Mercenaries 2 and Fallout 3 had one or two small occurrences of this issue, but it was as easily fixed as it was in Spore and happened far less often. This happens both with an without vsync.

I'm pretty much out of ideas on how to fix this. I have everything set properly in CCC, and the in-game settings usually give me the same garbage; it'll say the refresh rate is set to 60hz but it'll really be 30 or whatever number feels like. Has anyone had this problem and managed to figure it out?

The computer and monitor in question are in my signature. I'm currently using a DVI cable to connect the PC and monitor, and this has happened since more or less day 1 with the 4870x2 (bought it as soon as it launched) using more or less every driver iteration released since then (currently using 9.2).

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. This is starting to really annoy me :(

It's the monitor, and it's an EDID problem.

Googling for "LVM-37w3 edid" brings up several promising threads in the first couple of hits:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/archive/index.php/t-924605.html

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1232024

Wow, didn't think it would be the monitor. However, I'm not certian that my situation is the same as those described in those posts. The only time this monitor gives me issues is in some games (others work fine, like WoW and Crysis). None of the 4 criteria outlined in those posts applies to me, and my monitor isn't the SE version. Not saying that it isn't the monitor for sure, but it seems like that particular issue isn't the one I'm having.

I have the same problem with the 4850x2. If you disable crossfire your problems will go away. But then you have no crossfire. It acts like each one is putting out 30 hertz when crossfire is enabled. I have not found a way to fix it yet.

Go into the DTV section in the drivers and go to "HDTV Support".
Once there manually click to add "1080i30" and "1080p60".
Apply it, make sure your scaling options are set for all the res's and refresh rates you want to use (set the desktop to the res/refresh the game uses and make sure the scaling is correct).

That fixed my issue. It drove me crazy after switching from a GTX 280 which worked perfectly to the 4870x2 which didnt. I took this to mean mean it was not a monitor issue (or Nvidia's drivers just did a very good job at forcing resolutions and refresh rates) but regardless I got it working.

The only game that doesn't work correctly and I'm convinced never will is Crysis, it will always go to 24hz (1080p24) which makes it unplayable for me. Good news is I already beat it and have no desire to play it again, every other game has worked flawlessly.

Hope this helps.

Go into the DTV section in the drivers and go to "HDTV Support".
Once there manually click to add "1080i30" and "1080p60".
Apply it, make sure your scaling options are set for all the res's and refresh rates you want to use (set the desktop to the res/refresh the game uses and make sure the scaling is correct).

That fixed my issue. It drove me crazy after switching from a GTX 280 which worked perfectly to the 4870x2 which didnt. I took this to mean mean it was not a monitor issue (or Nvidia's drivers just did a very good job at forcing resolutions and refresh rates) but regardless I got it working.

The only game that doesn't work correctly and I'm convinced never will is Crysis, it will always go to 24hz (1080p24) which makes it unplayable for me. Good news is I already beat it and have no desire to play it again, every other game has worked flawlessly.

Hope this helps.
Company of heroes tales of valor doesn't work 1080p either. Stalker clear sky in dx10 defaults to 1080i but works 1080p in dx10.1

I play crysis warhead at 1080p@60hz.

Just add 1920x1080p@50hz and 1920x1080p@60hz and it works. Also adding 720p@60hz fixed my off set screen on my westy.

Back