QuadDragon

Limp Gawd
Hey guys I just purchased a new 4870x2.
I upgraded from my old 8800 GTX Ultra.

My specs are
Gigabyte ga-p35-DQ6 motherboard
intel core 2 duo 6850 overlocked to 3.6 - using TRUE and panflow 100 CFM fan
8 gigs patriot DDR2 800 MHZ 5-5-5-12
4 harddrives - 2 500 gig seagate 7200.10 in raid 0 and 2 western digitals in ACHI mode
Lite on 20x DVD burner
Kingwin mach 1 700 watt powersupply

I didn't start having random reboots or lockups till I put in the 4870 x2.
The card seems to play everything fine, and doesn't lockup even when I put it through its paces with 3dmark 2006. Is it possible that the power supply just isn't enough for this video card? Im using 2 dfferent rails and it is ATI crossfire certified. My box stays up for hours then just a random lockup while im playing WoW.

Check heat, is it reaching 105+C?

It may be that your PSU has aged and is not up to it swap with friend and see.

You sure your voltages are stable enough for the overclock on cpu? I think your memory controller needs much more voltage to do 4x2gb sticks and can freeze without the required power.

I've had those symptoms before with bad memory settings (too aggressive) in bios and also with bad driver install (conflict with older catalyst that wasn't removed properly in Vista 64. Go down the whole list of hardware then system.

OK guys looks like im in trouble here,

First let me say that im using the tri fan asus 4870 x2 and temptures seem to be pretty stable on the card and so does the current going to it, however I am unable to find a program that will monitor voltages to the video card.

Here is the new symptom - First because I was getting the reboots in Xp 64 bit, I updated the bios on the motherboard. When I updated the bios for what ever lame reason the motherboard decided the raid stripe on the 2 segates raid 0 in the intel matrix controller was no longer valid. ( lost everything on the drive). I rebuilt the array, and installed Vista 64 bit on it. It was not even stable for a day so I figure maybe its power, and I uplug the power to the 2 IDE Western digital drives and turn the computer back on. Bam it hit me again no MBR on the brand new fresh install of Vista 64. It did not loose the raid array this time so I just stuck in the vista disk again and reformated it one more time. Everything seemd stable for about one day, no reboots that night, left the computer on, came back home today after work 8 hour shift and the computer was in a cycle of powering up for about 3 seconds then powering off before it could post off 7 seconds back on 3 in a loop.
So I figured ah shit maybe its the harddrives, I pulled the power from both Sata drives in the raid 0 array, only drives left, and power on the computer, first time it does the 3 second thing turns itself off. I try it one more time and it powers up without the drives and posts everythings good. turn it off and add the sata 500 7200.11s back in one at a time, they both come up and it posts, but of course the raid array is broken again. OK all that said. Im not sure now if its the harddrives, the powersupply not putting out enough current or shorting ? that caused the reboots. The motherboard raid controller? Maybe even not enough voltage on my overclock? everything but the Vcore is bumped up about .1 volts ram is running at 2.0 volts vcore is running at 1.53 - normal is 1.35 39 degrees with no load. Damn that TRUE is nice. Im open for suggestions guys.

Well I decided that since I was having so many problems that I would just eliminate some of them like any overclocking problems. I set everything back to auto. The 6850 is back running at 3ghz. Funny thing is after that for what ever reason, my raid stripe decided it was valid again and it booted VISTA 64 bit and came back up, things are looking stable so far. Perhaps it was an overclock instability causing all this to begin with. The temperatures were OK for the processor. I guess its possible the vcore voltage wasn't enough, but I didn't want to push it any higher anyhow to keep a stable overclock..

If you try XP 32bit or Vista 32 bit I bet all your problems will go away.
As shitty as that sounds, try it out. It will probably work.

I had all sorts of problems with my new build in 64bit stuff. I put in XP 32 (lol) and everything works great. Since then I've overclocked the balls out of everything and it's never crashed since switching.

If you try XP 32bit or Vista 32 bit I bet all your problems will go away.
As shitty as that sounds, try it out. It will probably work.

I had all sorts of problems with my new build in 64bit stuff. I put in XP 32 (lol) and everything works great. Since then I've overclocked the balls out of everything and it's never crashed since switching.

I have zero problems with my 4870x2 in my Vista x64. Granted I re-installed everything due to some random BSOD's but now its all peachy.

PSU Problem.

Definitely a PSU Problem. That's a low-end unknown 700W unit. You're running a 4870X2 on it... gah gah gah..lol

I would recommend a PC Power & Cooling 750W Silencer or a nice Corsair unit of 750+ Watts. It's not really the wattage so much as the quality of the components in your PSU.

Well it has been some time since I posted. I finally figure out all my problems with my PC.
Turns out the 2 harddrives I have been running are complete and total crap. ST3500630ES x 2 in a raid 0 array. They were causing overclocking instabilities lockups harddrive thrashing. The weird reboot / power on for 1 second power off problem everything. it was really the last thing I had to replace on my uber build. Currently I replaced both of them with the Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black edition drives x 2 in ACHI mode. Since Im running a Gigabyte P35-DQ6 motherboard it has 2 sata controllers. Im running games / OS on the ICH9R drive and the pagefile and video / music storage on the other drive. My system is back up and stable at 3.6 GHZ overlocked. I think the next thing I will replace will be the core 2 duo with a core 2 quad Q9660. Right now I am having some problems running multiple windowd clients of my favorite game because CPU is 100% all the time. Figure more cores will fix that issue. Everything else looks great though aside from the dust.

Back